Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Listening to..(2)
08-23-2018, 09:48 AM
RE: Listening to..(2)
Cool! They do have some good tunes. I saw their free concert in Central Park (NYC) in May 1975. What a hoot that was!

I have been mining the depths of the great Swedish band "The Amazing" lately. Very cool, dense, songs. I very much recommend them. Start with the "Ambulance" CD.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2018, 08:54 AM
I really like the ambience guitar work on the title track. Kind of a cross between The Cure and OMD. I've got an Eventide H9 on the way to me, so I'm looking forward to creating similar sounds.

That video was pretty dang hardcore though.Sad

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Putting Jefferson Starship's Winds of Change on again, and on a loop Smile by tonight these songs will be playing in my head Wink

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
08-24-2018, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2018 09:50 AM by Nung.)
(08-24-2018 08:54 AM)Sunset Wrote:  I really like the ambience guitar work on the title track. Kind of a cross between The Cure and OMD. I've got an Eventide H9 on the way to me, so I'm looking forward to creating similar sounds.

Oh good! I am glad you checked it out. (I am not sure what the video content was for that because I never, ever look at videos for songs...I just don't want someone else's imagery mainlined into my brain.)

I have heard great things about the Eventide H9. I'd love one but I am still recovering from buying my various Strymon units.
(08-24-2018 09:35 AM)New World Man Wrote:  Putting Jefferson Starship's Winds of Change on again, and on a loop Smile by tonight these songs will be playing in my head Wink

That is a great way to get them into your musical brain. Ever play stuff when you are sleeping? Some say it helps.

08-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Yes Nung, you are right. That is a great way to get songs into your brain. Last time I did that was when I got Rush's album in 2012 "Clockwork Angels" Those songs played in my head for a long time Wink

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
(08-24-2018 10:09 AM)New World Man Wrote:  Yes Nung, you are right. That is a great way to get songs into your brain. Last time I did that was when I got Rush's album in 2012 "Clockwork Angels" Those songs played in my head for a long time Wink

Yeah, it is fascinating to consider all the ways the brain latches onto and holds certain musical endeavors, isn't it?

I often "use" that ear worm tendency for certain activities. The best example is a long bike ride or especially, a race. It is very beneficial to have a song running through one's mind to stay focused, positive, and to keep motivation up. But I have found that an old familiar song usually doesn't "last." A brand new song is too unfamiliar to last. So I find that if I "use" a song that I am intrigued by that I have only heard about 4 or 5 times it works best. A few back to back listens the morning of the event makes it stick.

An ironic example is when I am writing my own stuff; in that case the piece is musical super glue and no matter what i do, i cannot let go of it. That is mostly good because the brain continually works on improving the melody and rhythm but it can be inconvenient because it just doesn't let up.

And then there is that thing that happens when one comes up with a really cool motif or melody and then immediately loses it! That is a downer! (Recording one's practice is the solution then.)

(I love your user name by the way. It is one of my favorite songs...such clever and meaningful lyrics. Bubba can really write 'em.)

08-26-2018, 07:56 AM
(08-24-2018 09:49 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(08-24-2018 08:54 AM)Sunset Wrote:  I really like the ambience guitar work on the title track. Kind of a cross between The Cure and OMD. I've got an Eventide H9 on the way to me, so I'm looking forward to creating similar sounds.

Oh good! I am glad you checked it out. (I am not sure what the video content was for that because I never, ever look at videos for songs...I just don't want someone else's imagery mainlined into my brain.)

I have heard great things about the Eventide H9. I'd love one but I am still recovering from buying my various Strymon units.

Wise choice. It was pretty unpleasant.

Re Strymon, the Big Sky is a seriously nifty bit of kit.Cool

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Agreed! The Big Sky pedal is a box of magical landscapes.

09-05-2018, 01:40 PM
At the end of the month I am off to see, for the first time, one of my favourite drummers. The one and only Brian Michael Downey of Thin Lizzy playing in his “Live and Dangerous” band. A band which plays most of the Jailbreak and Johnny the Fox tracks, which went into the Live and Dangerous album back in the day. Lizzy played a load of times in Malvern (where I went to school), and my school mate, Shaun, and fellow band member from Cynic (UK) saw them at least twice, yet I didn’t make it. So I’m finally making amends, 40 years later.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Very, very cool!

Those 40 years went by pretty quickly for me, by the way!!!