Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rice Steamer
01-02-2011, 06:52 PM
RE: Rice Steamer
Will we see you in Birmingham? I always thought NWoBHM was "North West of BirmingHaM"!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I cook so many things in my ricemaker. You can add any kind of beans, legumes, rice, vegetables, pasta, whatever, and water, close the lid, turn it on, and an hour later it comes out a nice meal. Really cool invention.

Holly - "If I'm not naked by the end of it, then it wasn't a meal!" Blush
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Beans in a ricemaker? My goodness I LOVE beans and rice. Been so busy I havent had time to experiement.

Thanks HOLLY! A new addition to my diet machine!

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
01-02-2011, 09:48 PM
(01-02-2011 07:00 PM)Holly Wrote:  I cook so many things in my ricemaker. You can add any kind of beans, legumes, rice, vegetables, pasta, whatever, and water, close the lid, turn it on, and an hour later it comes out a nice meal. Really cool invention.

Have you ever made red beans and rice in a steamer? That's something I'd really like to try to make, but I'd throw some meat in for flavor, so would that work?

Rules. We have rules.
01-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I think nettie and I have the same idea, but maybe I am misunderstanding something here. I am a big nut for 15 bean soup - but can you actually put the uncooked beans in there and cook them like that? With my schedule the way it is its almost going to be easier to manage my own meals in something like that and if this works that would be a great way to cook up a quick meal while on the go.

01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
(01-02-2011 09:53 PM)boomer Wrote:  I think nettie and I have the same idea, but maybe I am misunderstanding something here. I am a big nut for 15 bean soup - but can you actually put the uncooked beans in there and cook them like that? With my schedule the way it is its almost going to be easier to manage my own meals in something like that and if this works that would be a great way to cook up a quick meal while on the go.

or maybe we just need to learn to cook in a slow cooker...
I still want the rice steamer for rice. I'm just not sure about the rice/bean combination.

Rules. We have rules.
01-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I kind of like this idea. I can toss in whatever and rice, and have a nice steamed dinner ready while I get some other things done or contact clients, etc. I assume this has a little alarm that can warn you when the food is done.

01-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure that the steamer would stay on long enough to really cook the beans thoroughly. At least my cooker probably wouldn't. I'd probably play it safe and cook beans in the crock pot.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Thats why I am curious - if a steamer can take a raw uncooked....say white bean and cook THAT in an hour thats pretty strong, and not sure if thats what Holly means. Maybe it depends on how well you cook your beans I guess. Everything else like stir fry stuff and rice yeah I am good with that, but beans?!?!?

01-02-2011, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2011 10:49 PM by Bageleth.)
My rice cooker takes about half an hour to cook the rice and I think that normally beans would take longer. I don't know, maybe there's a sensor in there that knows when the food is done. Hard to say. I'd hate to have rice and crunchy beans.

I've cooked my rice with green onion before as well as chicken or vegetable bouillon, but that's as far as my experience goes.
Holly? Dost thou have tips and recipes?

A party without cake is really just a meeting