Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Review: "A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures In Wine" by Jay McInerney
05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
RE: Review: "A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures In Wine" by Jay McInerney
(05-30-2012 07:19 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  KBB, Talking of T.O., have you been to this wonderful book store called ''The Cookbook Store'' on Young St.

No, I haven't, but we have Cookbooks & Co. here in Calgary that is just fabulous, and they share the main floor of an old factory building with a marvelous wine shop called Metrovino.

Sadly, the proprietors of both know me. Well. And by name.

Big Grin

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
(05-30-2012 08:27 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-30-2012 07:19 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  KBB, Talking of T.O., have you been to this wonderful book store called ''The Cookbook Store'' on Young St.

No, I haven't, but we have Cookbooks & Co. here in Calgary that is just fabulous, and they share the main floor of an old factory building with a marvelous wine shop called Metrovino.

Sadly, the proprietors of both know me. Well. And by name.

Big Grin

I must agree with you on this one... This is always a very sad situation, even this said, the only sad thing that I can find, is the great amount(s) of money you leave behind every time you go there. Would you agree to this, yet, one needs to consider all the pleasures and benefits that can be pulled out of these sad moments.
05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:Harry Potter

A guy who drinks at my local was the cameraman or focus puller or whatever the term is on the HP series.........and I have a feeling the Great Hall might be from the next town South of where I am.....(Gloucester)......

Count me in for a wine cellar.........I love old bottles of wine.........like old books lovely to look at, and enjoy from time to time.....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
(05-31-2012 11:26 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:Harry Potter

A guy who drinks at my local was the cameraman or focus puller or whatever the term is on the HP series.........and I have a feeling the Great Hall might be from the next town South of where I am.....(Gloucester)......

Count me in for a wine cellar.........I love old bottles of wine.........like old books lovely to look at, and enjoy from time to time.....

Well glad to have you in, the more the merrier, especially when you have the opportunity to pull a cork on an old one and to share this phenomenal experience.... We can maybe even set our table in the middle of this Great Hall, who knows. In any fashion it would be fun to exchange. Smile
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:the opportunity to pull a cork on an old one

The very best I have ever had was a 1982 Chateau Mouton Rothschild.......purchased it in 1993 at the sart of my MBA studies and drank it after graduation in 1996........It was superb!!

05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Post script to earlier post......I just took a look and to buy a 1982 Mouton Rothschild would be £1600 today - I think I purchased mine for £120 - That is inflation and defered accrued value in the bottle for you!!

05-31-2012, 01:12 PM
NWoBHM, I hope that you have a few of those, the prices on French wines have gone balistic over the past few years.... Demand and the so called ''OH! This is going to be an excellent year!!!'' sort of speculation have contributed greatly. Here in Canada, prices are way up because of the provincial governement agencies that run the distibution and sales of wines and liquor (yes, they are alone). The Ch. Mouton Rothschild when it comes out with the latest will cost us in the range of 750.00 $can. (+/- 500 pounds) and this is cheap versus some of the other wines such as La Tour and Petrus that can go up to double that. As for an example the Pétrus 2005 in Quebec is 5280.00 $can, this is 3326 pounds. Imagine a 1982... I will not be buying too many of those in Québec, believe me. This is why I have drank my frustrations away, Big Grin, with Spain's, Californian's, Chili's, Lebanon's, Argentine's, and few others that still offer a quality for the money spent. As a last remark, I wish that i still had all of the pre-1990's French Grand Crus that I so kindly executed... I could sell them and would be able to assure a constant flow of reasonable wines until my departure for the Grand Cellar Tour.... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
05-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Quote:La Tour and Petrus

LTC - I have tried a La Tour a beautiful wine, but never a Petrus (a dream wine for me) - I think Gordon Ramsey (UK Chef) owns a large share of the Petrus company - and he sells an awful lot of it to City Bankers with their latest bonuses at his restaurants.......

Before we began to hate bankers they would occasionally publish in one of the papers over here about some City Boys going out for a celebration and it would be food £1000, Chateau Petrus £45,000 total £46,000.......

Nice work if you can get it.

I think I might have posted here before about a mate whos father and he buy each other wines from their birth year for birthday presents - he being the same as me is a 62 an excellent year for Claret - I would love a case of something good one day - sadly the 82 was a one off I could not resist (and I am glad I didn`t).

05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
We had an old neighbour whom we dont live "next door" to now, but are still very close in distance and emotion - who ran their own restuarant and wine importing business from their beautiful home.

As an aside his brother is the manager for UB40 the UK reggae band, and another relative played bass for Asian Dub Foundation (parties, and there were many there, felt a bit like who is who in the music world), anyway, I used to love looking at all the different wine bottle sizes, standard, Magnums, Jeraboams, Salmanazar, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezzar, brilliant stuff.....

05-31-2012, 03:04 PM
(05-31-2012 02:14 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  We had an old neighbour whom we dont live "next door" to now, but are still very close in distance and emotion - who ran their own restuarant and wine importing business from their beautiful home.

As an aside his brother is the manager for UB40 the UK reggae band, and another relative played bass for Asian Dub Foundation (parties, and there were many there, felt a bit like who is who in the music world), anyway, I used to love looking at all the different wine bottle sizes, standard, Magnums, Jeraboams, Salmanazar, Balthazar, Nebuchadnezzar, brilliant stuff.....

Nice to have neighbours like them.... You most definitely know your wines... Ask the majority of people to name the different sizes of bottles like you just did and the majority would stop at... standard 750 ml (26 oz.). UB40, are they still around?