Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Review: "A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures In Wine" by Jay McInerney
05-31-2012, 04:37 PM
RE: Review: "A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures In Wine" by Jay McInerney
We have been blessed with the most perfect neighbours, in out first house we had an emormous bloke from Nevis in the Caribbean (in the island he was known as Bull, because this bloke was all muscle), he would cook the best curry known to man served with Caribbean Rum.......perfect, and then these neighbours which I refered to, who were excellent cooks (in the French Cuisine style), and massive experts on French wine......

We would be invited down for a "quick drink" at maybe 4.00pm, only to be struggling home at Midnight......I felt honoured that he felt he had found a drinking partner who could match his stamina, but boy did I feel Liverish after those sessions.....

Yes UB40 still doing their stuff.......I dont know how successful they are these days, but they are still "Groovin with da rhythm"......

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2012, 04:50 PM
(05-31-2012 04:37 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  We have been blessed with the most perfect neighbours, in out first house we had an emormous bloke from Nevis in the Caribbean (in the island he was known as Bull, because this bloke was all muscle), he would cook the best curry known to man served with Caribbean Rum.......perfect, and then these neighbours which I refered to, who were excellent cooks (in the French Cuisine style), and massive experts on French wine......

We would be invited down for a "quick drink" at maybe 4.00pm, only to be struggling home at Midnight......I felt honoured that he felt he had found a drinking partner who could match his stamina, but boy did I feel Liverish after those sessions.....

Yes UB40 still doing their stuff.......I dont know how successful they are these days, but they are still "Groovin with da rhythm"......

Yeaah, I know that kind of neighbour, I probably can include myself as being one of those. I know shame on me, you come over for a quick drink and there goes, one is followed by a second, then food on the table and many laughs later, it is time to tumble home again either they go back home or we do... or try... I am sure even the distance being in feet (or meters), that travel time is way more....Rolleyes and that some ''Day After'' are somewhat lived in a low profile style..... Glad to know UB40 is still around, brings back some very good memories. Carry on my friend.
Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I'll be taking "A Hedonist in the Cellar" with me to Ontario on Wednesday: if it's even half as good as Brutus says, I will have a wonderful time reading it.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-04-2012, 07:26 AM
(06-03-2012 09:47 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  I'll be taking "A Hedonist in the Cellar" with me to Ontario on Wednesday: if it's even half as good as Brutus says, I will have a wonderful time reading it.

Please give us your review when you get a chance to. How difficult was it to find? Have a great trip.
06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
(06-04-2012 07:26 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  
(06-03-2012 09:47 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  I'll be taking "A Hedonist in the Cellar" with me to Ontario on Wednesday: if it's even half as good as Brutus says, I will have a wonderful time reading it.

Please give us your review when you get a chance to. How difficult was it to find? Have a great trip.

Our local public library had it checked out, so I put a hold on it, expecting it to show up by the time I got back. Mirabile dictu, I received an email yesterday saying it was ready for pick-up, so I'll take it along.

I'm quite looking forward to spending two weeks in the Kawarthas (north of Peterborough) canoeing, reading, and cooking, before heading off to Toronto and then points south and west.

----
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Public Library, not here, living in a suburb of Montreal, they have very little for English books and they do not order many... If I want an English book, I buy it. I could get English books in some of Montreal's Public Libraries, but not living in the city, not so easy, here in my city, forget it... I will have to order it, so I am looking forward to your review. You are off on vacation, enjoy!!!
06-15-2012, 10:16 AM
(06-04-2012 08:47 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  You are off on vacation, enjoy!!!

And having a lovely time as well: no canoeing yet, although we spent four hours at the Canoe Museum on Monday. Definitely a lot of cooking though: last night, it was hickory-smoked stuffed (caramelized onions and fennel tops) pork tenderloin on the BBQ. Big Grin

About halfway through the book: it's perfect holiday/travel reading, as each essay is three/four pages long, and you can squeeze in "just one more" while waiting for a plane, being on a plane, etc.

Best line I've read so far is from the piece entitled "The Mysterious Beauty of Sagrantino de Montefalco" where he's talking about how this one producer makes his wines:

In matters of the heart, and of the lower appetites, mystery can often be more stimulating than knowledge.

I wish I had written that line....

----
06-15-2012, 09:27 PM
(06-15-2012 10:16 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 08:47 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  You are off on vacation, enjoy!!!

And having a lovely time as well: no canoeing yet, although we spent four hours at the Canoe Museum on Monday. Definitely a lot of cooking though: last night, it was hickory-smoked stuffed (caramelized onions and fennel tops) pork tenderloin on the BBQ. Big Grin

About halfway through the book: it's perfect holiday/travel reading, as each essay is three/four pages long, and you can squeeze in "just one more" while waiting for a plane, being on a plane, etc.

Best line I've read so far is from the piece entitled "The Mysterious Beauty of Sagrantino de Montefalco" where he's talking about how this one producer makes his wines:

In matters of the heart, and of the lower appetites, mystery can often be more stimulating than knowledge.

I wish I had written that line....

Seems you are having a good time reading this book, would you say ''A definite must read'' for entertainment? Also, I see vacations are going well, great, carry-on!!!
06-16-2012, 06:10 AM
(06-15-2012 09:27 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Seems you are having a good time reading this book, would you say ''A definite must read'' for entertainment?

Absolutely, if you love good wine and fine writing: I quite liked his first novel Bright Lights, Big City, and his take on wine from a non-snobby perspective is quite refreshing.

----
06-16-2012, 09:52 AM
(06-16-2012 06:10 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(06-15-2012 09:27 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Seems you are having a good time reading this book, would you say ''A definite must read'' for entertainment?

Absolutely, if you love good wine and fine writing: I quite liked his first novel Bright Lights, Big City, and his take on wine from a non-snobby perspective is quite refreshing.

Very good... I will look for it (order it), as I love both fine wines and writings... I appreciate the reviewSmile