Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Vegetarian Experience
04-27-2010, 10:56 AM
The Vegetarian Experience
First of all, thank you Brutus for adding this forum!

Soooo, are any of you practicing or former vegetarians? If so, what prompted your decision to embrace it or leave it, and lastly, do you have any favorite recipes to share?

I'll start. We stopped eating meat (fish & poultry too) about 10 years ago, because my husband had some health issues. We thought about trying vegitarianism (that "ism" part almost makes it sound like a religion doesn't it) for about 6 months to see if his health issue improved. It really didn't improve, but after that trial period, my husband was an "on-fire" vegetarian (and he has tried being vegan a few times) and wanted the kids to eat that way too. I'm one in practice. I was raised amongst cows and enjoyed a lot of steak growing up, so not eating any meat is sometimes a struggle, however, I don't want to cook a separate meal for myself. So far, I've found that Morning Star Farms has meat substitutes that I've been able to substitute for the real thing in several of our favorite recipes.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 02:10 PM
RE: The Vegetarian Experience
Would not say that my wife and I are full fledged "vegetarians" but we do try to eat at least 2-3 non meat meals a week. I would put us squarely in the "if we don't raise it or know where it comes from we don't eat it" camp.

We have our own hens for eggs and have a friend who raises beef and pork organically. So we know the animals are fed well and kept healthy.

That said, we have developed several really nice non-meat dishes that we spring on unsuspecting guests to see if they know the difference. No complains but a lot of "Really?! There is no meat in here?" comments.
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
I was (and am mostly still) a vegetarian for almost 10 years until last October. I started as my own little silent protest against the way animals are usually treated in the food industry. Last October, I became really ill with a crazy lung infection that laid me low for more than a week. I could hardly eat more than a handful of grapes and drink a little tea without gasping for air. The immune system took a serious hit too, and for the first time in a long while, I found myself craving meat. So, I went to this great NY style deli here in San Francisco, and I ordered chicken noodle soup with matzo balls and a roast beef sandwich. My body clearly needed it as I did not get sick in the least (OK I was still pretty sick anyway). Instead it helped me to feel much better. I have been enjoying the odd meat entrée since then, and I have really been enjoying salmon lately.
04-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Guitarmutt, so do you buy organic meat now? There are definitely healthy nutrients in meat, especially chicken. That soup sounds really good!

I guess that you could say that at least during the first 8 years of my life, our meat was from free range, organic cows. My granddad had a dairy and the cows lived in the pasture on our property. We had several instances where a cow would escape, a lot, and eventually, that cow wound up in our freezer. Between raising the cows and my mother having a garden, I guess that you could say that we truly knew where our food came from back then.

04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Bageleth, When I do eat meat, yes, I try to be aware of where the meat came from, and, if possible how the animals may have been treated, but it isn't always possible to know. I do have to say, I've enjoyed the meat I've eaten again. I know the deli I went to absolutely insists on using good quality meat, but I don't know that it's organic. There is an amazing farmers' market here on Saturday mornings that has much more than fruits and veg. Local poultry and beef farmers sell their meat there as well, and it is really nice and refreshing to be able to speak directly with farmers and/or their reps about everything from pasture conditions to transportation to the slaughter house.
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 08:27 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
this place is so polite i can't stand it. i got your recipe, right here!!! if this dirty martian ain't marvin, i'm starvin' like hossenpheppger, you wascaly wabbit in albuquerque. pismo beach> i meant west palm. let's truly see how time travels, like carried voices of the sea. the black hole of BP petrol is an argent teeny teeny tiny realm of the insert words here.

why are we talking about llamb of God as protein like curved yellow fruit.

anyhoo... how bout that hockey anthem?
here is where i ask about rick wakeman's cape... don't tase me dude...attica attica. lol reminds me of the rolling stones in the superdome...they actually used a firehose on fans. today i met several ... damn i'm hungry...so hungry i could ride a horse.
04-29-2010, 10:41 PM
@ePhilosopher- Excuse me?

04-29-2010, 10:44 PM
there's no excuse for bengaladesh.

linear trangression model
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
it saddens me to tears that your diet has no protien, and give me an aswer about nuts and i eat crazies like you for breakfast, mon plume de ridiculoso
04-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Hmmmmmmm....... I don't recall anyone here stating that they are lacking in protein. I still drink milk, eat eggs and cheese. The others who have posted here have also stated that they eat meat occasionally. I also use meat substitutes which are soy based. So the protein is there.