Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Vegetarian Experience
04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
RE: The Vegetarian Experience
That was some strange rant from eP9....Spike's got his hair up a bit.....Down boy! Maybe too much of something before posting?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 01:56 AM
I became a vegetarian way back when I was 18 because I just didn't like meat any more. I had been unwell my whole life (throwing up, bad stomach pains) and we didn't know what it was until I was finally diagnosed with a dairy allergy. So milk was out. I also never really liked eggs so at the age of 19 I made the vegan jump.

I have never found it difficult - I have a few favourite recipe books (Real Food Daily, anything by Isa Chadra Moskowitz, plus the Vegan Society mail me a recipe booklet once a year). I'm not lacking in any nutrients (in fact, when I got my last medical, my doctor said I had higher iron levels than most of his meat-eating patients). My teeth are good - according to my dentist, vegans normally have bad teeth but mine are strong...

The only thing that bothers me is the attitudes of others. I get the usual "what do you eat???" question. I eat food... what do you eat? I understand it's new and different so I try to be gentle but when you get asked the same question by every single person who finds out... It always makes me laugh when some big fat Big Mac chomping guy comes up to me in work and asks me how I cope with not having protein... With all due respect, I'm toned and strong and my stomach does not hang to my knees so I think maybe I am getting better protein than him... The thing with being vegan is to be successful, you have to really educate yourself about nutrition. Most studies find that vegetarians/vegans do consume better quality and more appropriate levels of protein than meat eaters. Obviously I am not condemning the meat eating lifestyle but no one in turn should condemn my vegan lifestyle...

It is fairly easy to eat out in restaurants though admittedly not great here in Wales when the average vegetarian option is a cheese sandwich... The major chain restaurants all carry at least one vegan option now plus we have 3 vegan restaurants in my city so it is improving. But when I am sitting staring at a cucumber stick and a small pot of hummus that cost be 5 quid, I can't help but think of how great LA (my second home) is for vegans...

I will share some of my favourite recipes over time...

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Irezumi_Muzan, I hear the "protein" question from my grandma many times. We were raised eating steak (the benefits of a dairy farm) and to my family, the idea of no meat means no protein, and she really worries because my kids are vegetarian too (as well as 2 of my cousins who she feels are too thin). They still drink milk and eat cheese and there is plenty of soy in the meat substitutes. We haven't withered away yet!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
06-16-2010, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 09:07 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
Sometimes, I get so hungry that I opt for a hopp. That's vegetarian, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5-XFdGl0Vc

They taste especially right in a generic colored can with a pop top.
(04-30-2010 01:30 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Hmmmmmmm....... I don't recall anyone here stating that they are lacking in protein. I still drink milk, eat eggs and cheese. Soy the protein is based there.

Do not meat, eggs, and cheese come from animals? or is that from a mineral or a vegetable?

An old axiom for the plumbing problem:

"Eggs are binding, so is cheese, so eat some fruit and crap with ease."
06-16-2010, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2011 08:47 AM by Bageleth.)
(06-16-2010 08:55 PM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  Sometimes, I get so hungry that I opt for a hopp. That's vegetarian, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5-XFdGl0Vc

They taste especially right in a generic colored can with a pop top.
(04-30-2010 01:30 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Hmmmmmmm....... I don't recall anyone here stating that they are lacking in protein. I still drink milk, eat eggs and cheese. Soy the protein is based there.

Do not meat, eggs, and cheese come from animals? or is that from a mineral or a vegetable?

An old axiom for the plumbing problem:

"Eggs are binding, so is cheese, so eat some fruit and crap with ease."

LOL! That last part made my husband & I laugh! I think he may want to borrow it for a status message! That's the kind of of saying that my granddad would probably have on his wall.

Yes, milk, eggs and cheese do come from animals, however none of the animals gave their lives for those things. The cheese we buy is made from a non animal product rennet as well. If I completely excluded dairy as well, then I'd probably be labeled as vegan, but as it is, the only rule we go by is "if it has eyes and used to breathe, we don't eat it.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
05-20-2011, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2011 07:47 AM by DirtyDave.)
Hello everyone,

While we are not vegetarians, we do eat a lot of meals that would please any vegan. For me it started when I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. The sad truth of my life is that I like to eat and drink and be with people who like to eat and drink. I have had a life long romance with cheese burgers

My condition was one of commission and I had to change, so I did greatly altered my diet (reduced fat as much as possible), lost weight and daily go for long bike rides. Part of the change was to look at new foods and that included vegan style meals. As with any other food, you have to learn to prepare it the way you like it. Here is one, tofu lasagne, that we like a lot from Whole Foods and it's easy to make.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2666

I like to add a box or two of frozen spinach and reduce the peppers by one. Really, you can vary it any number of ways.

Trust me, if someone would have told me that I would like tofu lasagne a few years ago, I would have said they were nuts. Now I just regard it as widening my culinary horizons.

Jack LaLanne was for most of his life a vegan. Given he was in robust health for most of his life of 96 years, there my be something to it.

I also still love cheese burgers. The battle rages on.

DirtyDave
There is no love sincerer than the love of food
- George Bernard Shaw
- Man and Superman, 1903
05-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Wow, a recipe that I can eat!(dairy allergy) Thanks for the post!

03-19-2012, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2012 07:23 AM by osage59.)
""Soooo, are any of you practicing or former vegetarians? If so, what prompted your decision to embrace it or leave it, and lastly, do you have any favorite recipes to share?""

Lately I have been considering a vegan or a vegetarian diet. I'm a card carrying omnivore, but l'm getting more interested in the issues around animal rights, and all that. Maybe dusting off this old thread was silly as I'm not looking for recipes really....but any ideas could be helpful! Smile
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Here some simple ones I found yesterday on the Self Magazine website. I have not tried them yet, and I plan to soon, but all sound tasty and they seem easy to make. If you try them, let me know what you think.

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2012/04/5-s...ow#slide=1

There is also this book that gets good reviews, but now seems to be out of print.

http://www.amazon.com/Occasional-Vegetar...0446674524

Have fun trying out some new recipes and I am still going to grill up some steaks and cheeseburgers, but I have learned to be more adventurous. Makes the whole cooking and sharing food that much more fun.

(03-19-2012 07:21 AM)osage59 Wrote:  ""Soooo, are any of you practicing or former vegetarians? If so, what prompted your decision to embrace it or leave it, and lastly, do you have any favorite recipes to share?""

Lately I have been considering a vegan or a vegetarian diet. I'm a card carrying omnivore, but l'm getting more interested in the issues around animal rights, and all that. Maybe dusting off this old thread was silly as I'm not looking for recipes really....but any ideas could be helpful! Smile

DirtyDave
There is no love sincerer than the love of food
- George Bernard Shaw
- Man and Superman, 1903
03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks!