Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beef ribbons with Guinness/mustard sauce
08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
RE: Beef ribbons with Guinness/mustard sauce
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)Sunset Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 03:32 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Wish it was easier to get organ meats than it has become here though.

Hmmmm? Some sort of phytosanitary restriction?

Just not much demand anymore. Things like fresh kidneys disappeared about five years ago from the regular grocery store, and even going to a proper butcher shop, you have to special order, wait, and even then, what usually shows up is frozen.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 01:09 PM by Sunset.)
(08-08-2012 05:18 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)Sunset Wrote:  
(08-07-2012 03:32 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  Wish it was easier to get organ meats than it has become here though.

Hmmmm? Some sort of phytosanitary restriction?

Just not much demand anymore. Things like fresh kidneys disappeared about five years ago from the regular grocery store, and even going to a proper butcher shop, you have to special order, wait, and even then, what usually shows up is frozen.

Yep, frozen is the best I've been able to source so far. But I noticed the (wholesaler procured)fresh pancreas my culinary benefactor was using looked of a much higher quality.

He's invited me back to learn how to prepare his duxelle stuffed chile relleno with tequila butter sauce, as well as his incredible veal stock. Perhaps my stellar personality will be enough to persuade him to let me snag a bit of fresh pancreas from time to time.

If not I'll have to play some dirty pool. See, he admitted a weakness for Santa Lucia highland Pinots. Being my favorite as well, I happen to have a "few" of those laying around in the cellar.Angel

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:persuade him to let me snag a bit of fresh pancreas

You could look up Duff McKagan (G`n`R) - I gather his pancreas exploded.....ouch, that must have hurt.Sad

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
(08-09-2012 12:58 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Perhaps my stellar personality will be enough to persuade him to let me snag a bit of fresh pancreas from time to time.

If not I'll have to play some dirty pool. See, he admitted a weakness for Santa Lucia highland Pinots. Being my favorite as well, I happen to have a "few" of those laying around in the cellar.Angel

LOL! I too have managed to, ah, leverage, a few things in a similar fashion.

Cool

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
NWo...pre-marinated pancreas is a big no-no.Wink

KBB...we do what we must eh?Smile

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...