Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Bourbon!
Any Bourbon fans here? I have been a Scotch fan for some time now and as I researched it I often came across reviews for Bourbon. These reviews made it sound so tasty so I finally tried some. The short version is that at first I wasn't impressed but with many tastings I have developed my palate and found some very tasty pours. I'll chime in with some but let's turn it over to the Forum.

Speak up! What do you like or dislike?

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 04:49 PM by Sunset.)
RE: Bourbon!
We had a brief discussion about this in the pairing thread. I've truly, honestly, and sincerely tried to appreciate bourbon. But unlike the incredible depth and breadth of flavor profiles present in Scottish single malt, bourbon seems to always taste like...bourbon?Huh

I've tried most if not all the low end stuff...yech. Then tried 4 roses, bookers, bakers, basil hayden and others. Same result...

But my mind is always open, so by all means chime away when you're ready...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2012 04:58 PM by Nung.)
(08-15-2012 04:48 PM)Sunset Wrote:  We had a brief discussion about this in the pairing thread. I've truly, honestly, and sincerely tried to appreciate bourbon. But unlike the incredible depth and breadth of flavor profiles present in Scottish single malt, bourbon seems to always taste like...bourbon?Huh

I've tried most if not all the low end stuff...yech. Then tried 4 roses, bookers, bakers, basil hayden and others. Same result...

But my mind is always open, so by all means chime away when you're ready...

I very much understand your feelings. If I could only have one category of liquor it would be Scotch.

But yes, I have some favs that might convince you.

>Noah's Mill Small batch (I think it is about 114 proof and it is my favorite so far...it almost seems to transcend the Bourbon category)
> Rowan's Creek (from the same folks as Noah's)
>Eagles Rare 10 (very tasty)
>Blanton's (widely regarded as a fine bottle and I concur...complexity and finesse)
>Knob Creek Single Barrel (higher proof and much better than the more common KC)

08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Right then! Looks like I'll have to force myself out of the uisge aisle, and scope the whiskey aisle on the next go-around.

Thx for the tips...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of whiskeys (scotch/single malt, bourbon, etc) but I did try the Jack Daniel's Devils Cut and actually quite enjoyed it. really smooth, nice flavor to it.
08-19-2012, 09:01 AM
I know it's not a "true" bourbon, but our oldest has found a liking to Red Stag.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-20-2012, 01:12 PM
(08-17-2012 09:55 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  I'm not a huge fan of whiskeys (scotch/single malt, bourbon, etc) but I did try the Jack Daniel's Devils Cut and actually quite enjoyed it. really smooth, nice flavor to it.

Ah, that one generates a real argument! Some love it and some hate it...I have not yet tried it.

08-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I've tried bourbon but just can't seem to get next to it....
Hubby Squid enjoys bourbon and has developed a taste for Woodford Reserve.
A more recent product that's received solid reviews from hubby's bourbon-lovin' friends (aaaaaaand they may be just a wee bit biased) is the Hoosier-based W.H. Harrison Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey. However, Squid has yet to try it.
Whatever brand he drinks, it's always on the rocks with a splash 'o' H2O. I call it, "Dirt 'n' Water." Tongue

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't care much for bourbon...I'm more of a scotch girl Smile
Hubby drinks more of the bourbon...I do believe I have seen some Woodford Reserve around my house as well...
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
For me it is a nice break from Scotch and you cannot beat some of the sub-$20 pricing!

(But again, don't ever take my Scotch away!)