Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
RE: Bourbon!
(08-21-2012 09:56 AM)Nung Wrote:  For me it is a nice break from Scotch and you cannot beat some of the sub-$20 pricing!

(But again, don't ever take my Scotch away!)

Interesting. The good Bourbon here is about the same price as half-decent Scotch -- for me, that's not enough of an incentive to take a flyer on something I'm not sure I'm going to finish. Sayin'?

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 10:57 AM
(08-21-2012 10:36 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(08-21-2012 09:56 AM)Nung Wrote:  For me it is a nice break from Scotch and you cannot beat some of the sub-$20 pricing!

(But again, don't ever take my Scotch away!)

Interesting. The good Bourbon here is about the same price as half-decent Scotch -- for me, that's not enough of an incentive to take a flyer on something I'm not sure I'm going to finish. Sayin'?

Very understandable. As always, the best option is to find someone with what you are interested in and sample theirs. Or, get a dram at a bar. THEN once you are sure you can plunk down your money on a bottle without fear.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
(08-21-2012 10:57 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(08-21-2012 10:36 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  The good Bourbon here is about the same price as half-decent Scotch -- for me, that's not enough of an incentive to take a flyer on something I'm not sure I'm going to finish. Sayin'?

Very understandable. As always, the best option is to find someone with what you are interested in and sample theirs. Or, get a dram at a bar. THEN once you are sure you can plunk down your money on a bottle without fear.

Although I haven't looked, I really haven't found a place here that stocks much in the way of anything-other-than-Jack, while we have a plethora of good Scotch bars. That's likely because the common whisky up here is either rye or Scotch.

----
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Interesting!
In the States Bourbon is the fad of the moment and hipsters are buying up everything so good bottles are hard to find. Rye is particularly popular right now so we all grab it when we see it.

08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
(08-21-2012 12:29 PM)Nung Wrote:  Rye is particularly popular right now so we all grab it when we see it.

In that case, you should look for one called "White Owl" -- it's clear and comes in a frosted bottle. The logo looks suspiciously like the cover from an early album by a polka group we know.... Big Grin

(I have no idea how it tastes, but I'd be tempted to buy it just for the bottle!)

----
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Just picked up the Noah's Mill small batch...I'm thinking I'm ready to transcend the bourbon category.Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Well, after a busy day yesterday I decided to unwind a bit with ol' Noah. Aaaaaaaaaand....the cork broke off in the bottle lol! So I grabbed a trusty Aberlour 16 instead.

Transcendus interuptus for now....

09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Def the most complex bourbon to date for me...not too shabby!

Without going into whiskey bore mode...

-Good initial nose
-Great secondary nose after aerating in the glass for 10min
-Distinct initial palate, mid palate, and finish.
-Lacks the cloying sweetness I've experienced in other high abv bourbons

Thx Nung...this one's a keeper.

09-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Phew! I am always worried when I "push" a bottle...I am glad you liked the Noah's Mill! Thanks for trusting me and giving us your feedback.

(And yes, Aberlour 16 is profoundly good stuff!)

07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Time to dust off this thread and push, I mean chat more about Bourbon.

I finally got around to two that either have come up here (Devil's Cut) or always get mentioned (Maker's Mark). And the two could not be more different (in my opinion). (I always drink my Bourbon "neat" so I won't discuss ruining, um, I mean mixing these two Bourbons.) (LOL!)

The Maker's Mark is always a popular choice and always attracts the word "smooth" in reviews. This is largely because in addition to the usual corn majority they use wheat instead of rye in the mashbill. And yes it is smooth but I would say it is almost bland. It would be a great choice for someone just getting into Bourbon though.

The Devil's Cut is almost the other extreme. Because of their unique approach with "reclaiming" the spirit that gets absorbed into the barrel (see the on-line reviews for that story) it is very intense in oak/smokey flavor. You had better be a fan of the bigger styles to jump into this one. It is relatively inexpensive though so it is easy to give it a whirl.

Have fun and Cheers!