Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
07-26-2013, 06:40 AM
RE: Bourbon!
Not really a bourbon fanatic, but once in awhile I have to stray to the dark side to catch a sniff or two. May have to try the Devil's Cut. Interesting reviews and I love the more intense flavors. Makers Mark, to me, is more for cooking, and more of an entry level bourbon. At least - I see an awful lot of top chefs using it in their dishes anyways.

Nice to see this thread is still around!!! Thanks guys.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Anyone have a (full) bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's they don't want? Stuff is rare and I tried getting one for my Craig Johnson author event last month. You can buy empty bottles on eBay (why?).

Season's Greetings!
07-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Ebay is amazing and atrocious as are people amazing and . . .well . . . whatever. Empty bottle? I work at Trader Joe's in California, and we have a popular product called Cookie Butter. It was unavailable for a time, and those who had jars sold it on ebay to the highest bidder. It's basically a peanut butter type product but made with a ginger snap, shortbread kind of base. People apparently paid outrageous amounts for jars of this stuff when we did not have it, and we had to limit how many people could buy when it came back.

Anyway, I love bourbon too, and I will have to look into this Pappy Van Winkle. The last great one I tried that is maybe less rare (maybe?) is Whistle Pig. If you have not tried it, look for it. Worth every penny, and I do not really have a lot of pennies to just throw around. . . even at quality . . . alas. . .
07-26-2013, 09:04 PM
PvW is known pretty well as being a heck of a spent barrel to age beers in. I haven't tried the spirit myself, but I gather it's very well thought of. I have tried the Devil's Cut, and really enjoyed it. A touch stronger flavor than the regular, but smoother somehow. I definitely need to pick some up at some point.
Find all posts by this user
10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
OH EMM GEE!

Attention Bourbon lovers that prefer it on the bold side! I finally got around to tasting the Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Amazingly complex with big, bold flavors. A stunner.

I always delayed getting around to tasting the Wild Turkey offerings because they, along with Jack Daniels are of course the big, well-known players. I went to the more esoteric brands first. But I eventually tried the basic WT products and then tried the two higher-dollar bottles. I do enjoy them all but the Kentucky Spirit has got to be in my top 5 Bourbons now. (And it is kind of nice that I like the WT stuff because my late brother always liked their stuff.)

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
01-01-2014, 05:19 PM
So I'm at my nieces' wedding last night (wonderful NYEve affair) and her mother takes me by the arm to show me all the unique little flourishes lurking around the reception hall - including the bourbon bar featuring 12 year old PVW! I took a knee and praised my new nephew-in-law. Welcome aboard!!

Season's Greetings!
01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Wow! That is amazing!

01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Boy, I'll say. Then to be totally cheesy, I asked for the empty and will refill it to amaze my buddies up in Maine in a couple weeks for the annual MLKJr ice fishing weekend. Cad!!

Season's Greetings!
01-02-2014, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 03:20 PM by Nung.)
Now THAT is sneaky!
You heard about the theft of all those high end Pappy products recently, didn't you?

01-03-2014, 07:37 AM
I've ran into Gentlemans Jack a couple of times and found it to be very warm and smooth....if I'm not drinkin' Heiny's I'm drinkin' tall Jack and cokes.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"