Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
RE: Bourbon!
I pulled over a couple nights ago to scrub my headlight lenses with snow (poor boy fix) and realized I'd entered the parking lot of the new state liquor store. What the hell, I walked in and asked if they had Pappy's and the manager says "I got one bottle left". So by complete accident I scored a bottle of PVW 10 year old reserve. They are out there!

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Very cool! That is the only Pappy I have ever scored.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
01-09-2014, 02:04 PM
I have sipped the 23 yr old reserve. Very smooth. I'm just going to continue to hit liquor stores in my travels - you never know.

Season's Greetings!
03-13-2014, 04:03 PM
I just got some McKenna Bottled-in-Bond (so of course it is 100 proof). It is enjoyable and a good value.

09-10-2014, 07:46 PM
I tried Fireball for the first time. I understand prople do shots of it, but i found it enjoyable to sip while reviewing curriculum and it made my breath smell like Red Hots. Not sure if it's Bourbon...guess I could go downstairs to check the bottle but I'm too lazy right now! In any case- I likey!
09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Interesting. I am generally not a fan of flavored whiskies but I keep an open mind.

The maple flavored Knob Creek I tried seems like it would be better off on my pancakes or ice cream than my Glencairn glass.

The Spicebox 1372 (Canadian) is a bit more to my liking...not as over-the-top as some flavored products.

09-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Just to chime in... I drink a cheap rot gut Canadian whiskey, called R and R when I am in the mood to feel comfortably numb. I have looked for Neil's fav Macallen scotch here in Illinois, and have never seen it. Its so high end, I don't even know where to find it. I am ashamed of JIM BEAM for selling out to the Japanese, but I guess they will still make that Bourbon in Kentucky. I understand by watching "How its Made" that the thing that makes a bourbon is that it is aged in charred barrels. Makers Mark was the one on the tv show I think.

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=745]
09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Trust me, the New World Man will feel like a new man after sampling The Macallan. The standard, entry-level (12 year old) is widely available in most places...even at supermarkets in my state. It should clock in about $37-45 at a large, discount liquor store. But, perhaps it might be wise to belly up to a bar and sample a single glass of the stuff to be sure you like it before you plunk down your pesos on a full bottle. Scotch will be more complex than the Canadian whiskies.)

(By the way, our hero/host tends towards imbibing the older and much more expensive versions. Most of us can only dream of those lofty heights. But that gentleman well deserves such a fine spirit...he has worked long and hard on both his craft and in educating his palette.)

09-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Not exactly Bourbon or Scotch:

I finally got my hands on a bottle of Whiskey del Bac, a Tucson micro-distiller product much discussed round these here parts. The barley is smoked over a mesquite fire. It is very smoky, very mesquite-ish. It seems sort of BBQ-flavored due to the mesquite smoke. A unique whiskey! I like it but it would not be an everyday sipper.

11-12-2014, 09:00 PM
To follow up on my earlier post: one can sign up to be on the 'short list' for bottles of Pappy's that come into each state at your friendly neighborhood liquor store (we have a plethora to help run the state), usually in November. So what the hell, I signed up and got an email - I am now the proud owner of a 10 year old and 12 year old bottle of Pappys! Whodathunk? If I can do it, so can you!

Season's Greetings!