Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: Bourbon!
Congrats on that! Let us know your thoughts after tasting. (Or, might you just put them on the wall to save for a special event?)

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2014, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 12:27 PM by New World Man.)
I recently liked the Facebook webpage for Flaviar, because they were advertising to enter a contest to win a bottle of Macallan scotch. Then Flaviar floods my e mail inbox with spam mail. Oh well, should have known their was a catch. Any one heard of this Big Peat scotch? The label could be racist. What's it mean by "A Real Cracker" ? [attachment=768]

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Nothing is for free!

I have not seen this one before. I am always nervous about labels like that...it appears like a gimmick to me. But who knows, it might be wonderful...

11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
(11-14-2014 12:29 PM)Nung Wrote:  Nothing is for free!

I have not seen this one before. I am always nervous about labels like that...it appears like a gimmick to me. But who knows, it might be wonderful...

Here is a sample of one of the flood of e mails Flaviar sent.

"A real cracker this Christmas Edition Big Peat! It's a Blend of single malts from Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and even Port Ellen. Quite phenolic, and bottled at Cask strength, with a great mixture of peat, salt and sweetness. Merry stuff!

This warming dram will fit at your Christmas table for after-dinner. Scratch that – it will fit all year long!

"Blended Malt Scotch Whisky of the Year 2013. I not only rediscovered my passion for peat, but realized that getting it doesn’t need to burn holes in my wallet." — Whisky Advocate"

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
12-12-2016, 06:01 PM
I scored one bottle of 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle in the annual lottery in NH.
To answer Nung's question of two years ago, the older it is , the smoother.
I imagine that's obvious, but after working my way up the age scale, you do notice.
This will make a great Christmas gift.

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2016, 09:31 AM
(12-12-2016 06:01 PM)BrianW Wrote:  I scored one bottle of 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle in the annual lottery in NH.
To answer Nung's question of two years ago, the older it is , the smoother.
I imagine that's obvious, but after working my way up the age scale, you do notice.
This will make a great Christmas gift.

Very cool! Congrats!
I find it fascinating to see the differences in whiskies of different ages. Most of the time i do find that the older bottlings are "better." Sometimes, I do prefer certain younger offerings though.

12-14-2016, 06:53 AM
I do sense differences, but am still quite a novice.
Drink (hic) and learn!

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-14-2016, 09:18 AM
(12-14-2016 06:53 AM)BrianW Wrote:  I do sense differences, but am still quite a novice.
Drink (hic) and learn!

The research is worth the effort. Smile

04-10-2018, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 07:49 AM by 2Beers.)
The other night Fireman and I were watching our local PBS station and they have a show called Wisconsin Foodie. It is a half hour show all about WISC made products from around the state.

This week they were at a family owned farm that is distilling Bourbon. I thought it would be a nice addition to this thread and a interesting travel destination to see.

https://jhenryandsons.com/about/

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Well dang! The description of the family, the farm, and the Bourbon sounds lovely. I'd like to try some! Thanks for this!

Thanks for kicking this thread back up! We need more activity around these here parts. Smile
And what better than a nice chat about luscious liquids!