Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bourbon!
11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: Bourbon!
Congrats on that! Let us know your thoughts after tasting. (Or, might you just put them on the wall to save for a special event?)

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2014, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 12:27 PM by New World Man.)
I recently liked the Facebook webpage for Flaviar, because they were advertising to enter a contest to win a bottle of Macallan scotch. Then Flaviar floods my e mail inbox with spam mail. Oh well, should have known their was a catch. Any one heard of this Big Peat scotch? The label could be racist. What's it mean by "A Real Cracker" ? [attachment=768]

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=745]
11-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Nothing is for free!

I have not seen this one before. I am always nervous about labels like that...it appears like a gimmick to me. But who knows, it might be wonderful...

11-14-2014, 12:35 PM
(11-14-2014 12:29 PM)Nung Wrote:  Nothing is for free!

I have not seen this one before. I am always nervous about labels like that...it appears like a gimmick to me. But who knows, it might be wonderful...

Here is a sample of one of the flood of e mails Flaviar sent.

"A real cracker this Christmas Edition Big Peat! It's a Blend of single malts from Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila and even Port Ellen. Quite phenolic, and bottled at Cask strength, with a great mixture of peat, salt and sweetness. Merry stuff!

This warming dram will fit at your Christmas table for after-dinner. Scratch that – it will fit all year long!

"Blended Malt Scotch Whisky of the Year 2013. I not only rediscovered my passion for peat, but realized that getting it doesn’t need to burn holes in my wallet." — Whisky Advocate"

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=745]
12-12-2016, 06:01 PM
I scored one bottle of 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle in the annual lottery in NH.
To answer Nung's question of two years ago, the older it is , the smoother.
I imagine that's obvious, but after working my way up the age scale, you do notice.
This will make a great Christmas gift.

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2016, 09:31 AM
(12-12-2016 06:01 PM)BrianW Wrote:  I scored one bottle of 10 year old Pappy Van Winkle in the annual lottery in NH.
To answer Nung's question of two years ago, the older it is , the smoother.
I imagine that's obvious, but after working my way up the age scale, you do notice.
This will make a great Christmas gift.

Very cool! Congrats!
I find it fascinating to see the differences in whiskies of different ages. Most of the time i do find that the older bottlings are "better." Sometimes, I do prefer certain younger offerings though.

12-14-2016, 06:53 AM
I do sense differences, but am still quite a novice.
Drink (hic) and learn!

Season's Greetings!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-14-2016, 09:18 AM
(12-14-2016 06:53 AM)BrianW Wrote:  I do sense differences, but am still quite a novice.
Drink (hic) and learn!

The research is worth the effort. Smile