Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Basic Basil!
08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Basic Basil!
I can't believe that I have never done this - but with Summer harvest in full bloom (pun intended), a typical garden salad can get a little boring. I got a bunch of fresh basil in my last farm share load, and i tore several small leaves into as fine as i could, and tossed them in with a garden salad. WOW! It was so simple, but if you like fresh basil, it really did alot for the salad!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: Basic Basil!
(08-17-2012 01:42 PM)Peter Ace Wrote:  I can't believe that I have never done this - but with Summer harvest in full bloom (pun intended), a typical garden salad can get a little boring. I got a bunch of fresh basil in my last farm share load, and i tore several small leaves into as fine as i could, and tossed them in with a garden salad. WOW! It was so simple, but if you like fresh basil, it really did alot for the salad!

Fresh herbs add a TON of punch to d@mn near everything you can imagine. I love to add fresh basil to salad, on pizza, and in the baking dish when I make chicken for my "beloved omnivores" (rest of the family, LOL!)
One of my favourite things is a thick slice of fresh-off-the-vine tomato and fresh basil (***droooooooooollll...***)Heart just as a snack. No need for dressing or anything else. Just those two together...

You can add some punch to the typical garden salad with fresh herbs, dried cranberries, chopped nuts, crumbled feta cheese, fresh berries, sunflower seeds, etc... Salads can be great places to get a little creative and fun with toppings/mix-through yummies for texture and flavours.

And if you want to make it even more 'hearty', you can top it with tempeh strips or tofu. So yummy!Big Grin

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart
08-20-2012, 06:13 AM
(08-18-2012 06:59 AM)Jenn Wrote:  
(08-17-2012 01:42 PM)Peter Ace Wrote:  I can't believe that I have never done this - but with Summer harvest in full bloom (pun intended), a typical garden salad can get a little boring. I got a bunch of fresh basil in my last farm share load, and i tore several small leaves into as fine as i could, and tossed them in with a garden salad. WOW! It was so simple, but if you like fresh basil, it really did alot for the salad!

Fresh herbs add a TON of punch to d@mn near everything you can imagine. I love to add fresh basil to salad, on pizza, and in the baking dish when I make chicken for my "beloved omnivores" (rest of the family, LOL!)
One of my favourite things is a thick slice of fresh-off-the-vine tomato and fresh basil (***droooooooooollll...***)Heart just as a snack. No need for dressing or anything else. Just those two together...

You can add some punch to the typical garden salad with fresh herbs, dried cranberries, chopped nuts, crumbled feta cheese, fresh berries, sunflower seeds, etc... Salads can be great places to get a little creative and fun with toppings/mix-through yummies for texture and flavours.

And if you want to make it even more 'hearty', you can top it with tempeh strips or tofu. So yummy!Big Grin

Absolutely - I have tried everything you mentioned above except tempeh...never knew what that was until this Summer. And my wife and I do a tomato salad with basil ALOT! When you get tomatoes that you don't know what to do with, we literally cut up red onion, cucumber, tomato chunks, then we drizzle with olive oil and just a little balsamic vinegar and of course fresh basil - stir it and let it sit a few hours and then when we serve it I do like to add a few sprinkles of sea salt...and a little pepper too...Tomato Salad!
08-20-2012, 08:26 AM
Don't forget avocado! We often have tomatoes out the wazoo, so we'll chunk them up with avocado, basil (my dad likes cilantro), EVOO, balsamic, black pepper & sea salt. Even the teenager likes it....disappears quickly!

Jenn - Tofu....hmmmmm. Do you use the extra firm "as is" or prep it (i.e. pan fry) first? Sounds nummy!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-20-2012, 08:32 AM
(08-20-2012 08:26 AM)burma.girl Wrote:  Don't forget avocado! We often have tomatoes out the wazoo, so we'll chunk them up with avocado, basil (my dad likes cilantro), EVOO, balsamic, black pepper & sea salt. Even the teenager likes it....disappears quickly!

Jenn - Tofu....hmmmmm. Do you use the extra firm "as is" or prep it (i.e. pan fry) first? Sounds nummy!

Squash out the water, slice it thin and cook it up with a zingy marinade. Smile

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart