Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enchilada recipes, please!
08-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Enchilada recipes, please!
Need some really good enchilada recipes!!! I'd prefer vegetarian for myself, but I'll also be cooking for some omnivores, so... Any recipes (I can always leave the meat out of mine...)
Some variations on the heat, too. Mom and 1 guest are less fond of the hot hot, hubby and other guest love heat. (and me? I can go either way...)

Guests will be here in mid September, I'd love to have some time to try the recipes out before they get here!

OK, post some good ones!!! Big Grin

Thanks, guys.Heart

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2012, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2012 11:11 AM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Enchilada recipes, please!
Jenn, are you looking at making the sauce and all? As for a vegetarian style, you can stuff with black or red beans and cheese.
There are so many variations, I was fortunate to have Mexican Embassy's first secretary (2nd in charge) for 2nd neighbour when I grew up. Everytime a new family would move in, different recipes from different parts of the country. So let me know what style you are looking for. As for the HOT stuff, I can understand, I will eat Habaneros raw and enjoy them (without the burning sensations of normal Big Grin folks). I was used to eating hot when young and continued to develop the taste over the years. After going through a phase of I cook hot, I eat hot, so I figured that you eat hot too. Wrong, so when I cook now, I make it enjoyable for all. Then I finish with fresh hot peppers and/or a good hot sauce. My recommendation for the sauce if store bought, is find something different than the ''Tobasco'' types, Do some specialty food stores specializing in Ethnic or even spice shop. Ask them or here is one that really is Excellent, >>Salsa Habanera - Yucatan Style from Cocina Mestiza. It is Produced and packed for; La Chunga S.A. de C.V., Av. Observatorio 527, Las Palmas, 01110 Mexico D.F. phone (01 525) 55 16 50 20)<< This is one of my favorites and believe me, I have many hot sauces. So let me know what style of Enchiladas you are looking for, I will do my best to help you.
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Woah, OK! Uhm, I honestly didn't realize there would be 'styles' to choose from!Blush
So... I'm looking for a moderately spicy, fairly easy Mexican or "Tex-Mex" thing, I guess.
Black beans and corn were mentioned by my guest, so I think the black bean idea would go over well.Smile

I've done red sauce for lasagne before, so I'm happy to try attacking the sauce myself, provided I can get a hold of the ingredients needed. We do have home-grown peppers (Habanero, JalapeƱo and Cayenne)... some fresh this season, some frozen from previous years. I was planning on a couple batches, so I can do a hot hot one and a more tame one.

I'm not sure if that's narrowed things down or not... Blush
Silly me, I thought I was asking a simple question! LOL..

Thanks for your patience...Wink

08-18-2012, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2012 10:22 PM by LiveToCook.)
Well, I guess that you have somewhat narrowed it down by saying ''Tex-Mex'', this is the big tortillas. Many of the traditional Mexican Enchiladas are made with smaller type Tortillas like 3 1/2" to 5-6", So imagine my face Huh and reaction when I actualy had the Tex-Mex style for the first time with ultra large tortillas. My first reaction was, "Duuuh, I ordered Enchiladas, what is this?". From what you are telling me, you want ''red salsa'', not the Salsa Verde (green). And being vegetarian, do you eat cheese? First let's start with the meat (for your favorite Carnivorous group). What type of meat would you go for... beef, porc, chicken, lamb, goat....??? Ho, ho... getting hungry here.
SAUCE;
3 lbs Ripe Tomatoes
2-6 Jalapeno Peppers, I use Serano or Habanero. You can remove the interior with the seeds.
3-4 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
1 medium Onion finely chopped
3-4 Tablespoons of Safflower Oil or other oil such as Canola (for traditional, use lard - I know not very vegetarian)
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt or more if needed
Water
Put the tomatoes and peppers (whole) into a pan and cover with water, bring to a simmer, cook at a fast simmer until all is fairly soft but not falling apart (for 5-6 minutes depending on the size of tomatoes). Set aside. Chop the peppers coarsely, remove the interior if you want. Put the garlic, onion, peppers and 1/2 cup of the cooking water into the bowl of a blender and blend until well broken (5-10 seconds). Add the strained from water unpeeled tomatoes and blend for a few more seconds. The sauce should have a rough texture. Heat oil in the frying pan, add the sauce and cook over high heat stirring from time to time. Make sure you scrape the bottpom of the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, add salt to taste. This is your basic sauce. You can also add some fresh cilantro (coriander).
Let me know what type of meat you will use and I will forward the procedure for meat and assembly.
08-19-2012, 06:07 AM
I like how a 5-6 inch tortilla looks. Too much larger, and it starts getting rather a mess to fold/roll.
Well, probably want to go with chicken. (Two of the four omnivores are supposed to be watching their red-meat , 1 has been told to really stay clear of pork in general. Like, very very rare treat. *and it was BLT night last night, LOL!*)
So chicken, I think.
You know, I don't think I've ever had a Salsa Verde! I am more familiar with the red, so that would be my starting point. (But I may get more adventurous in the future...) Wink
Yes yes oh hell yes on the cheese! I've never had a problem with dairy (the whole reason I quit meat was that it was making me actively sick when I'd eat it. So I stopped. I do have my smart moments, now and then, LOL!) All parties involved simply adore cheese!

Man, I do go on, don't I? Blush
So.. chicken, please.
Cheese, yes.
And something black bean, too.
Thanks so much!Smile

08-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Oh salsa verde, Mmmm. I bet LTC would have a good and tested one otherwise take a look on Google.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Okay Dokay.. make sure your shoes are tied on tight...
If you want taste, there is a lot of ingredients!!!
Here goes for the chicken... This recipe is for 8-10 Enchiladas.
For doing Tex-Mex style, use the tortillas that will be the size of the cooking utensile, could be up to 12" if you re-close the ends using a 8-9" wide.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
1 large whole chicken cut into 8 or 8-12 of your favorite chicken pieces preferrably with the skin on to cook
4-6 tablespoons of lard (if you dare) or vegetable oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 red or green pepper coarsely chopped
Marinade / Sauce
2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 16oz can of refried beans
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
2-3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
Juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon... your choice, to taste
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
3-4 white or black peppercorns crushed
1/2 teaspoon of cocoa... yes, chocolate
1 tablespoon of dry oregano - Mexican if you have (Oaxacan or Yucatan)
1 tablespoon chipotle sauce or Tobasco or your favorite
1 or 2 dried chilis (hot peppers from your garden) whole
2 cups of chicken broth
Sea salt to taste.
Assembly Mixture
1-2 large onions
3-4 red and green peppers
8 oz mushrooms (optional)
1 can of whole black beans - well rinsed
1 can of kernel type corn drained or fresh corn grained from the cob

Mix all ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl together, reserve.
In a pot that goes into the oven, I use cast type, put the lardAngel in (vegetable oil if you prefer), brown the pepper and onion the ones from the top only, add the chicken, brown the surfaces and then add the marinade/sauce, bring to a boil and put in the oven at 220 deg F. for 6-8 hours. After this time check to see if chicken falls apart, it shouldBig Grin. Remove the chicken from the sauce...DO NOT DISCARD the sauce, reserve about half of the sauce for the Vegetarian Enchiladas and keep the other half for the chicken variation. keep the cooking pot around for the next step of the chicken. Cool the chicken partly, remove the skin and discard, remove meat from bones.
At this point you can brown the ''assembly''vegetables and split into 2 parts. Separate in 2 batches....
Now let's do the chicken ones and then we will do the cheese variation...
Put a bit of oil into the chicken cooking pot and add the chicken again, mix in about a cup of the sauce and put into the oven on the lowest section, Put on broil and stir occasionaly making sure not to burn the chicken... this is the reason for having the pot sitting on the lowest section. Once browned, add half of the black beans and corn, also put half the vegies and some of the sauce to make a decent stuffing mixture, not too much, you are going to be the judge on this one on... Now, this is where you will adjust the taste!!! If you want ALL fairly HOT, add the hot sauce as mentioned in another posting plus the hot peppers or just the hot peppers or sauce of your choice into the whole thing, otherwise, you can season each one of the Enchiladas as you assemble them. Get your Hubby to do the initial taste test...Go easy... the taste will only intensify as it cooks. When he seems not too sure if your on the ''money'' and if he says that you can add a little more, this means it is good. Then again, if it is too hot, you can blame him and also you will not burn yourself in the process, ha, ha, ha... I like thisBig Grin. Now the final assembly. Put a bit of the sauce (recipe posted yesterday) and spread into the bottom of the roasting pan (9"x 15" with 2" sides or similar). Take the tortillas fill them, roll them and deposit them side by side. Add some of the same sauce as in the bottom and put some cheese on top if desired... Put into the oven and cook until warm. For the cheese ones, you basically do the same as the chicken but you replace with the cheese and you do not have to brown the cheese.... You can grate the cheese coarsely or you can cut some 1/2" to 3/4" sticks of your favorite hard cheese such as Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Mozarela, ect. I use the stick... Make the filling mixture, put into the tortilla then I finish with the cheese sticks. Put into the pan and fix the same way as the chicken batch. Now the romantic part...cook side by side at 300 deg F. for about 20-30 minutes... Pull from the oven cool for a minute or two and enjoy... You can serve this with rice, potatoes, refried beans and salad. Any questions, feel free and pleaaase let me know how it turns out if you make them....
08-19-2012, 03:30 PM
WOW!Wink
I'll have to change it up just a touch, I think, coz I don't want to have the chicken cooking in the sauce I use on mine, LOL. (I've noticed that even juices or tiny bits still upset my system...)

BUT! It does look quite delish, and like a freakin' awesome project!
Lard is no problem, I live in The South, so it's easy to get hold of. And I don't mind using it for my Beloved OmnivoresWink *Ooh, side mental note, Sweetie's gonna have to find a new pie crust recipe!* Anyway
We gots some lard.
Mmmm... Cocoa. That is already a winner! That adds all kinds of awesome to savory and spicy dishes. I really do need to cook with it more than I do, LOL!

Looks like I can get everything I need...
Just one lil' question...
Can I cook the chicken up ahead of time? coz I wanna spend time hangin' with my guests, not minding a chicken for 6 hours, LOL!

I will be trying it out at least once before I do it up for my guests (my family are happy lil' guinea pigs for my kitchen adventures!)

Thanks so much! And I will let you know how it goes.Smile

08-19-2012, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2012 07:50 PM by LiveToCook.)
(08-19-2012 03:30 PM)Jenn Wrote:  WOW!Wink
I'll have to change it up just a touch, I think, coz I don't want to have the chicken cooking in the sauce I use on mine, LOL. (I've noticed that even juices or tiny bits still upset my system...)

Lard is no problem, I live in The South, so it's easy to get hold of. And I don't mind using it for my Beloved OmnivoresWink *Ooh, side mental note, Sweetie's gonna have to find a new pie crust recipe!* Anyway
We gots some lard.
Mmmm... Cocoa. That is already a winner! That adds all kinds of awesome to savory and spicy dishes. I really do need to cook with it more than I do, LOL!

Can I cook the chicken up ahead of time? coz I wanna spend time hangin' with my guests, not minding a chicken for 6 hours, LOL!

I will be trying it out at least once before I do it up for my guests (my family are happy lil' guinea pigs for my kitchen adventures!)

You can cook the chicken the day before and basically do all the steps the day before... It will only taste better Tongue. I should of mentioned that...sorry about this, I just wrote this out, this is from memory and at my venerable old ageBig Grin, I forget things. So, have everything ready and assemble in the morning for dinner. As for cocoa, you can also replace with a dark high percentage chocolate and if it does not scare you, double it... Just for your info., I was very conservative on some of the spices as I do not know your tastes & habits. So, with the spices you know, make the adjustments.

ALSO in the recipe, you can do the sauce on its own... The quantity that I have given you is for the 2 recipes... Sorry, my mistake, I took your quote <''I do have my smart moments, now and then, LOL!''>, as being a little meat juice is OK. So mix up all the ''marinade / sauce'' ingredients and cook all together until you have reduced it all into a paste (again you need to be the judge here), it must NOT run too easy!!! Then split the sauce in 2, spice up the chicken half here and adjust the taste with your hubby... cook the chicken into it's half for the recommended time, if you want, you can even boost the temperature and reduce the time. (325 F for 2-3 hours); I was just trying to cut out one major step for you. Then back to the recipe steps. AGAIN - I WILL MAKE THE PROPER ADJUSTMENTS TO THE RECIPE FOR ALL AS A SINGLE TYPE RECIPE AND MAKE SOME LIGHT CORRECTIONS. HOPEFULLY, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I WROTE!!!
08-19-2012, 09:58 PM
(08-19-2012 07:47 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  
(08-19-2012 03:30 PM)Jenn Wrote:  WOW!Wink

We gots some lard.

You can cook the chicken the day before and basically do all the steps the day before... It will only taste better Tongue. I should of mentioned that...sorry about this, I just wrote this out, this is from memory and at my venerable old ageBig Grin, I forget things. So, have everything ready and assemble in the morning for dinner. As for cocoa, you can also replace with a dark high percentage chocolate and if it does not scare you, double it... Just for your info., I was very conservative on some of the spices as I do not know your tastes & habits. So, with the spices you know, make the adjustments.

ALSO in the recipe, you can do the sauce on its own... The quantity that I have given you is for the 2 recipes... Sorry, my mistake, I took your quote <''I do have my smart moments, now and then, LOL!''>, as being a little meat juice is OK. So mix up all the ''marinade / sauce'' ingredients and cook all together until you have reduced it all into a paste (again you need to be the judge here), it must NOT run too easy!!! Then split the sauce in 2, spice up the chicken half here and adjust the taste with your hubby... cook the chicken into it's half for the recommended time, if you want, you can even boost the temperature and reduce the time. (325 F for 2-3 hours); I was just trying to cut out one major step for you. Then back to the recipe steps. AGAIN - I WILL MAKE THE PROPER ADJUSTMENTS TO THE RECIPE FOR ALL AS A SINGLE TYPE RECIPE AND MAKE SOME LIGHT CORRECTIONS. HOPEFULLY, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT I WROTE!!!

Thanks for this, it will help when I get to cooking. Smile
With the spices, I tend to taste as I go (or use my hubby's judgement)... so often a given recipe will be more of a guideline, as far as seasoning and spices goes. *The only time I try to follow to the letter is when I bake. Coz that's a whole other beast, right there, LOL I know enough to know that I don't know enough chemistry to mess around with the delicate balance in the science that is baking.
I get all crazy and playful when I cook d@mn near anything else. But the baking, I follow the recipe.

So anyway...
Seriously huge huge thanks for all the info and recipes! I can't wait to start playing Big Grin