Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Enchilada recipes, please!
08-20-2012, 12:53 AM
RE: Enchilada recipes, please!
I like to make mine with flour tortillas. Yeah, I know... I just like the texture better.

Have you thought about a mole sauce for some variety?

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
3 large dried chilies
2 onions; chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups tomato sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1 oz. square unsweetened baking chocolate

Directions:

1. Combine salt, pepper, water, chiles and onions in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes on low.
2. Add garlic, tomato sauce, sugar, cinnamon and chocolate.
3. Stir until heated through and chocolate is melted, then serve on enchiladas.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2012, 07:02 AM
(08-20-2012 12:53 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I like to make mine with flour tortillas. Yeah, I know... I just like the texture better.

Have you thought about a mole sauce for some variety?

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
3 large dried chilies
2 onions; chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 cups tomato sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1 oz. square unsweetened baking chocolate

Directions:

1. Combine salt, pepper, water, chiles and onions in a saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes on low.
2. Add garlic, tomato sauce, sugar, cinnamon and chocolate.
3. Stir until heated through and chocolate is melted, then serve on enchiladas.
SM, nothing wrong with the flour tortillas. As for the sauce, this is a good one and what type of chilis do you use?
08-20-2012, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2012 05:31 PM by Scythe Matters.)
The big ancho chiles, LTC. But you can adjust according to your heat tolerance.

Also, I don't like a chunky sauce so I give it a whirl in the blender before serving.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
08-20-2012, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2012 10:21 PM by LiveToCook.)
(08-20-2012 05:30 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  The big ancho chiles, LTC. But you can adjust according to your heat tolerance.

Also, I don't like a chunky sauce so I give it a whirl in the blender before serving.

S M, when it comes to these types of sauces (Mexican), I can only agree with the ''non-chunky'' types. Right from when I was young, having had many Mexican neighbours and going to many Mexican restaurants all over the N.A. continent, I do not remember any of them serving chunky sauces for these sort of dishes. All is ground to a ''pulp'' by tradition and as a way to blend all the ingredients together. As for your chile choice...Bravo, good one. Do you use the black or the red? I also like using the Pasilla for the color (deep black) when making the mole sauce that I add a fair bit of ''chocolate'' to. They are not one of the strong chiles, but around my house and circle of friends, it is sufficient. What I will do is add Arbol type to my share, this, if I can incorporate without involuntarily blowing anyone out of the house through the roof Big Grin. I will also put a could portion of the Habanero sauce (info. in earlier posting of this thread). So as a Canadian boy, I can take a lot of heat and still enjoy it.

(08-19-2012 08:54 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Oh salsa verde, Mmmm. I bet LTC would have a good and tested one otherwise take a look on Google.
Sorry for the late answer 2 Beers, but yes I have a couple of those if you want. They are fairly simple to make and even better if you can get fresh ripe Tomatillo Verdes.
Jenn & All, here is my revised recipe... I just made this for dinner, started yesterday but with lamb... I had a friend drive 125 miles this afternoon just for the meal Cool and he just left to go back home a little while ago. Talk about crazy, I think that he is as bad as I am...would not even spend the night, had some appointments in the morning, blah, blah, blah, or is he worse??? Anyhow, I do endorse the recipe I wrote for you, but I think that this one will be easier to read. And I also had a few mistakes in quantities (short on beans and vegies) for a double.
REVISION For doing Tex-Mex style, use the tortillas that will be the size of the cooking utensile, could be up to 12" if you re-close the ends using a 8-9" wide.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
1 large whole chicken cut into 8 or 8-12 of your favorite chicken pieces preferrably with the skin on to cook
4-6 tablespoons of lard (if you dare) or vegetable oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 red or green pepper coarsely chopped
Marinade / Sauce
2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 16oz can of refried beans
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
4-5 Tablespoons of tomato paste
Juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon... your choice, to taste
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of ground coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
6-8 white or black peppercorns crushed
1 teaspoon of cocoa... yes, chocolate
1 tablespoon of dry oregano - Mexican if you have (Oaxacan or Yucatan)
1 tablespoon chipotle sauce or Tobasco or your favorite
1 or 2 large dried chilis (hot peppers from your garden) whole
1 cup of chicken broth
Sea salt to taste.
Assembly Mixture
1 large onions
2 red and / or green peppers
8 oz mushrooms (optional)
1 can of whole black beans - well rinsed
1 can of kernel type corn drained or fresh corn grained from the cob
1 - 1 1/2 lb of your favorite grated cheese or blend to put inside and on top if you want.

Mix all ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl together, reserve.
In a pot that goes into the oven, I use cast type, put the lard in (vegetable oil if you prefer), brown the pepper and onion the ones from the top only, add the chicken, brown the surfaces and then add the marinade/sauce, bring to a boil and put in the oven at 220 deg F. for 6-8 hours. After this time check to see if chicken falls apart, it should. Remove the chicken from the sauce...DO NOT DISCARD the sauce. Keep the cooking pot around for the next step of the chicken. Cool the chicken partly, remove the skin and discard, remove meat from bones.
At this point you can brown the ''assembly''vegetables.
Put a bit of oil into the chicken cooking pot and add the chicken again, mix in about a cup of the sauce and put into the oven on the lowest section, Put on broil and stir occasionaly making sure not to burn the chicken... this is the reason for having the pot sitting on the lowest section. Once browned, add the black beans and corn, also put the cheese, the vegies and some of the sauce to make a decent stuffing mixture, not too much, you are going to be the judge on this one... Now, this is where you will adjust the taste!!! If you want ALL fairly HOT, add the hot sauce as mentioned in another posting plus the hot peppers or just the hot peppers or sauce of your choice into the whole thing, otherwise, you can season each one of the Enchiladas as you assemble them. Get your Hubby to do the initial taste test...Go easy... the taste will only intensify as it cooks. Note: When he seems not too sure if your on the ''money'' and if he says that you can add a little more, this means it is good. Then again, if it is too hot, you can blame him and also you will not burn yourself in the process, ha, ha, ha... I like this. Now the final assembly. Put a bit of the sauce (recipe posted yesterday or the Salsa Verde or Scythe Matters' Mole sauce) and spread into the bottom of the roasting pan (9"x 15" with 2" sides or similar). Take the tortillas fill them, roll them and deposit them side by side. Add some of the same sauce as in the bottom and put some cheese on top if desired... Put into the oven and cook for about 20-30 minutes... and finish on broil to brown the cheese if you added some on top. Pull from the oven cool for a minute or two and enjoy... You can serve this with rice, potatoes, refried beans and salad. Any questions, feel free and pleaaase let me know how it turns out if you make them.... LTC[/u]
08-20-2012, 10:51 PM
(08-19-2012 11:58 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Okay Dokay.. make sure your shoes are tied on tight...
If you want taste, there is a lot of ingredients!!!
Here goes for the chicken... This recipe is for 8-10 Enchiladas.
For doing Tex-Mex style, use the tortillas that will be the size of the cooking utensile, could be up to 12" if you re-close the ends using a 8-9" wide.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
1 large whole chicken cut into 8 or 8-12 of your favorite chicken pieces preferrably with the skin on to cook
Marinade / Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
3-4 white or black peppercorns crushed
1/2 teaspoon of cocoa... yes, chocolate
1 or 2 dried chilis (hot peppers from your garden) whole
2 cups of chicken broth
Sea salt to taste.
Assembly Mixture
1-2 large onions
3-4 red and green peppers

In a pot that goes into the oven, I use cast type, put the lardAngel in (vegetable oil if you prefer), brown the pepper and onion the ones from the top only, add the chicken, brown the surfaces and then add the marinade/sauce, bring to a boil and put in the oven at 220 deg F. for 6-8 hours. After this time check to see if chicken falls apart, it shouldBig Grin. Remove the chicken from the sauce...DO NOT DISCARD the sauce, reserve about half of the sauce for the Vegetarian Enchiladas and keep the other half for the chicken variation. keep the cooking pot around for the next step of the chicken. Cool the chicken partly, remove the skin and discard, remove meat from bones.
At this point you can brown the ''assembly''vegetables and split into 2 parts. Separate in 2 batches....
Now let's do the chicken ones and then we will do the cheese variation...
Put a bit of oil into the chicken cooking pot and add the chicken again, mix in about a cup of the sauce and put into the oven on the lowest section, Put on broil and stir occasionaly making sure not to burn the chicken... this is the reason for having the pot sitting on the lowest section. Once browned, add half of the black beans and corn, also put half the vegies and some of the sauce to make a decent stuffing mixture, not too much, you are going to be the judge on this one on... Now, this is where you will adjust the taste!!! If you want ALL fairly HOT, add the hot sauce as mentioned in another posting plus the hot peppers or just the hot peppers or sauce of your choice into the whole thing, otherwise, you can season each one of the Enchiladas as you assemble them. Get your Hubby to do the initial taste test...Go easy... the taste will only intensify as it cooks. When he seems not too sure if your on the ''money'' and if he says that you can add a little more, this means it is good. Then again, if it is too hot, you can blame him and also you will not burn yourself in the process, ha, ha, ha... I like thisBig Grin. Now the final assembly. Put a bit of the sauce (recipe posted yesterday) and spread into the bottom of the roasting pan (9"x 15" with 2" sides or similar). Take the tortillas fill them, roll them and deposit them side by side. Add some of the same sauce as in the bottom and put some cheese on top if desired... Put into the oven and cook until warm. For the cheese ones, you basically do the same as the chicken but you replace with the cheese and you do not have to brown the cheese.... You can grate the cheese coarsely or you can cut some 1/2" to 3/4" sticks of your favorite hard cheese such as Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Mozarela, ect. I use the stick... Make the filling mixture, put into the tortilla then I finish with the cheese sticks. Put into the pan and fix the same way as the chicken batch. Now the romantic part...cook side by side at 300 deg F. for about 20-30 minutes... Pull from the oven cool for a minute or two and enjoy... You can serve this with rice, potatoes, refried beans and salad. Any questions, feel free and pleaaase let me know how it turns out if you make them....

Those sound amazingly yummy!!
08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Big Grin Not gonna be able to do it this week, but I'm gonna shoot for next week, after we go shopping again.
And I think I may have to give that mole a try, as well. That looks pretty good!

Thanks so much, everyone! Y'all are awesome Smile

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart
08-21-2012, 09:02 PM
(08-20-2012 10:51 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  
(08-19-2012 11:58 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Okay Dokay.. make sure your shoes are tied on tight...
If you want taste, there is a lot of ingredients!!!
Here goes for the chicken... This recipe is for 8-10 Enchiladas.
For doing Tex-Mex style, use the tortillas that will be the size of the cooking utensile, could be up to 12" if you re-close the ends using a 8-9" wide.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Marinade / Sauce
2-3 Tablespoons of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
3-4 white or black peppercorns crushed
1/2 teaspoon of cocoa... yes, chocolate
1 or 2 dried chilis (hot peppers from your garden) whole
2 cups of chicken broth
Sea salt to taste.
Assembly Mixture
1-2 large onions
3-4 red and green peppers

In a pot that goes into the oven, I use cast type, put the lardAngel in (vegetable oil if you prefer), brown the pepper and onion the ones from the top only, add the chicken, brown the surfaces and then add the marinade/sauce, bring to a boil and put in the oven at 220 deg F. for 6-8 hours. After this time check to see if chicken falls apart, it shouldBig Grin. Remove the chicken from the sauce...DO NOT DISCARD the sauce, reserve about half of the sauce for the Vegetarian Enchiladas and keep the other half for the chicken variation. keep the cooking pot around for the next step of the chicken. Cool the chicken partly, remove the skin and discard, remove meat from bones.
At this point you can brown the ''assembly''vegetables and split into 2 parts. Separate in 2 batches....
Now let's do the chicken ones and then we will do the cheese variation...
Put a bit of oil into the chicken cooking pot and add the chicken again, mix in about a cup of the sauce and put into the oven on the lowest section, Put on broil and stir occasionaly making sure not to burn the chicken... this is the reason for having the pot sitting on the lowest section. Once browned, add half of the black beans and corn, also put half the vegies and some of the sauce to make a decent stuffing mixture, not too much, you are going to be the judge on this one on... Now, this is where you will adjust the taste!!! If you want ALL fairly HOT, add the hot sauce as mentioned in another posting plus the hot peppers or just the hot peppers or sauce of your choice into the whole thing, otherwise, you can season each one of the Enchiladas as you assemble them. Get your Hubby to do the initial taste test...Go easy... the taste will only intensify as it cooks. When he seems not too sure if your on the ''money'' and if he says that you can add a little more, this means it is good. Then again, if it is too hot, you can blame him and also you will not burn yourself in the process, ha, ha, ha... I like thisBig Grin. Now the final assembly. Put a bit of the sauce (recipe posted yesterday) and spread into the bottom of the roasting pan (9"x 15" with 2" sides or similar). Take the tortillas fill them, roll them and deposit them side by side. Add some of the same sauce as in the bottom and put some cheese on top if desired... Put into the oven and cook until warm. For the cheese ones, you basically do the same as the chicken but you replace with the cheese and you do not have to brown the cheese.... You can grate the cheese coarsely or you can cut some 1/2" to 3/4" sticks of your favorite hard cheese such as Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Mozarela, ect. I use the stick... Make the filling mixture, put into the tortilla then I finish with the cheese sticks. Put into the pan and fix the same way as the chicken batch. Now the romantic part...cook side by side at 300 deg F. for about 20-30 minutes... Pull from the oven cool for a minute or two and enjoy... You can serve this with rice, potatoes, refried beans and salad. Any questions, feel free and pleaaase let me know how it turns out if you make them....

Those sound amazingly yummy!!

Try'em you'll like em!!! Had them last night and i can tell you they were great... Had a friend drive a few hours return just for this meal...
09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
subbed in veg. broth for chicken broth in the sauce. Things are smelling so good in this kitchen!!!Big Grin

09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Success!!!

Soooo good, and very filling, too Smile Only a few minor changes, like the veg broth in the marinade sauce, and I forgot the bell peppers in the cheese ones (opps!Blush)
But soooo good! Hubby loved that I added some of his hot pepper sauce, and the extra layers of flavour that his sauce added was such a treat!
Fiddled a bit with the heat levels, and everyone is happy with the first "experimental" run. Big Grin

Thanks so much, LiveToCook! You gave me a fantastic recipe to play with!

now there's just the kitchen clean-up to deal with...Tongue LOL!

09-09-2012, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 07:08 PM by LiveToCook.)
(09-09-2012 02:11 PM)Jenn Wrote:  subbed in veg. broth for chicken broth in the sauce. Things are smelling so good in this kitchen!!!Big Grin

Jenn, smell is always a good indication, so what is the verdict?
Other than the broth, did you use all other ingredients, if not, did you replace with something else?
(09-09-2012 06:59 PM)Jenn Wrote:  Success!!!

Soooo good, and very filling, too Smile Only a few minor changes, like the veg broth in the marinade sauce, and I forgot the bell peppers in the cheese ones (opps!Blush)
But soooo good! Hubby loved that I added some of his hot pepper sauce, and the extra layers of flavour that his sauce added was such a treat!
Fiddled a bit with the heat levels, and everyone is happy with the first "experimental" run. Big Grin

Thanks so much, LiveToCook! You gave me a fantastic recipe to play with!

now there's just the kitchen clean-up to deal with...Tongue LOL!

Funny, I was just asking about the results when you posted....Smile
GREAT!!! I am happy that you enjoyed it. If I can help you again, just rattle my cage, if I know about it, it will be my pleasure to share some of my learnings. Cheers and keep me posted on your next try, it only gets better.