Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Braised lamb shank
08-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Braised lamb shank
Disclaimer: the following are basic guidelines only. Feel free to mix, match, and just get creative overall!

2t kosher salt
2t fresh chopped rosemary
2t fresh chopped thyme
1t fresh ground black pepper
1/2t ground coriander
4 large shanks

Mix ingredients and give the lambie a good rub down. Set aside for 30-90min depending upon one's tastes.
[Image: food58.jpg]

3T EVOO
1.5C chopped onion
1C chopped carrot
.5C chopped celery
6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
3 large strips lemon peel
2 bay leaves
2t fresh chopped thyme
2C dry white wine
2C fresh chopped tomato
1.5C chicken stock

Heat oven to 350deg
Heat EVOO in large oven proof pot(love my Staub!) at med/hi.
Add lamb and saute for color(12min-15min), then transfer to plate and set aside.
[Image: food59.jpg]

Add mirepoix...cover and cook until soft stirring occasionally.
[Image: food60.jpg]

Mix in garlic...cook until perfume is released(about 1min)
Mix in lemon peel, bay leaves, and thyme. Add wine and bring to boil.
Add tomato and stock. Return lamb to pot.
[Image: food63.jpg]

Bring pot to boil, cover and transfer to 350deg oven. Bake lamb until tender(about 1.5hr), then remove from oven. Place pot on stovetop at med heat and reduce until desired consistency.
Season to taste with salt/pepper, and remove lemon peel and bay leaves.
[Image: food61.jpg]

For gremolata:
3T fresh chopped parsley(flat leaf)
1T grated lemon peel
.5t fresh ground pepper.

Serve in shallow bowl on mash, creamy polenta, spaetzle, or whatever starch you're keen on. Sprinkle with gremolata. and ENJOY!
[Image: food62.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 06:50 AM
RE: Braised lamb shank
Wow - you make that look so EASY, and from someone who has burned a pot or two of boiling water, thats pretty good. I love cookbooks with pictures. Helps us less learned folks connect the dots between the phases of each dish.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2012, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 08:26 AM by LiveToCook.)
Looks great Sunset, one question, your measure of ''T'', is this Table or Tea Spoons? In full agreement with your recipe, but just as a variation, I will change the White Wine for Port (or red wine), maybe add 2 or 3 Tablespoons of Raspberry juice and a small chunk of Dark chocolate (70% +). Spices I would add sumac (instead of lemon), cumin seeds, some ground anis (ground for the people that do not like the ''black licorice''), replace the black pepper with a ''liquid pepper'' such as Tobasco for the following reason; Black pepper becomes ''aggresive'' in taste when it cooks for a long time in dishes like a Braised. I preffer to finish with a good quality pepper. I will also cut some of Thyme (by half) and the reasons I would do these changes would be entirely based around the wine that I would serve with dish. Here I am talking a full bodied red wine. My favorite with such a combo. would be an Amarone. Note: As accompaniment (Meal/Wine), I always try to work with the wine in the dish that will be served... White in sauce, white on the table or light red and so-on. Also, to get a great sauce, I use a good wine. My way of thinking is pretty much in line for all ingredients. If it is not good to eat or drink, it is not good to cook with. Some friends of mine just go ''ballistic'' everytime when they see me pouring some of a very good bottle into my dish. Big Grin Anyhow, sorry for the speach this morning, I am still trying to figure what I will serve on Friday for dinner with the guest... My residual brains cells are running fast (will have to mark the calendarBig Grin). I think that lamb will be serve.... Getting hungry againBig Grin...
08-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Nice pictures Sunset. They allow you to follow the written directions and the photos show you what stage you should be at. The final one is the best though.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Sure wish those pictures came with Smell-o-vision! ;-)

I love braising lamb shanks: they are one of those perfect-for-winter dishes, along with orzo, cider-glazed carrots, and several bottles of good red wine when it's cold, snowy, and raw out.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
08-23-2012, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 11:59 AM by Sunset.)
LTC...thanks a bunch for the advice! I'll always defer to knowledge, so please keep it coming. T=tablespoon...t=teaspoon. Sorry about my funky shorthand.

Boom&DosCervesas...Thank you also. I've always said sharing good food(including recipes) is one of the cornerstones to doing life right. Anything I can do to make sharing easier is a good thing in my book.

KBB...winter's a long way off in my neck of the woods. But I'm a comfort food freak and can't help myself.Blush Do post up when you braise the lambies this coming fall/winter?

10-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Hoo Sunset! That looks good! I'm gonna have to try this recipe, Thank You for sharing.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-29-2012, 07:57 AM
My pleasure...

Just got in a new shipment of shankalicious goodness. In about 30 days or so I'm going to whip up another batch incorporating some of LTC's great advice.Idea

11-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Sunset, I will be picking up my batch of fresh shanks next week... Just got a call from my favorite lamb farmer. This will be good. I am looking forward to cooking these... As winter is just around the corner, yes we get a white and cold one...Brrrr. This is confort food for just that season. I somewhat envy you with your type of winter in California and it does not really matter where in the state you are, this is not winter for me, the northern boy. Cheers.