Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drum Kit turns 25
09-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Drum Kit turns 25
Hello Bubba fans,

It's hard to believe how FAST time moves past us! Sometimes it feels like it goes faster and faster every year. Andbefore you know it, Your Grand Kids are born and then In school recieving well earned Awards,{and Rewards!} and the drum kit you purchased Brand New, is now a quarter of a Century old! Was it really THAT Long ago? No Way! Have I really been playing them that long? Naaahhh It couldn't be!?! But there it is! My Beautiful Tama SuperStar Drum Kit that I ordered in 1987 is turns 25 years old in October! And it Sounds and Plays As Wonderful as ever!

I gave up a Favorite Classic Car for the Down payment Money for my drums, and back then my thought was, "There will be other '55 Chevys around, but THIS is a Once in a Life Time Chance! And I was RIGHT!
I've gotten WAY More use and Pleaure from my drums and I've never regretted my decission! Nevr looked back! Sure I've had to do some maintainence and "Up Keep" on them, but then again, I would have had to do that to the car too. Everything eventually needs parts and repair, and thankfully because of sites like E-Bay this has been relativly easy and Inexpensive to do! I have also learned ALOT about procurring Vintage Drum Parts and repairing blemishes and such on drums!

For those of you that have considered purchasing a Vintage drum kit, I say do your home work, know what you are buying, Know the Year/Vintage and any possable "flaws" they may have, but especially Enjoy the hunt! Every week I see really Beautiful Vintage Tama, Slingerland, Ludwig, Pearl, etc. drums kits for sale at very resonable prices. So if you are in the market, there ar plent to be had. This also goes for Vintage Zildjian, or Pastie, or Sabian cymbals available too!
Whom knows, you MAY even stumble upon a Neil Peart Replica kit like mine?!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2012, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2012 07:13 AM by old honda rider.)
RE: Drum Kit turns 25
Oh, man, this brings back memories!

My original kit was purchased back in - I swear I'm not making this up - 1973. It was a Stewart kit in cool red sparkle.

It looked something like the one shown here.     Sounded like shit. Something like an old celery stick thumping on wet cardboard.

But when I sat behind it and thrashed away, I was NEP himself. At least, I thought I was. I loved it.

Must have driven my parents insane, but to their credit they never complained about it. Mom said many years later that the noise did bother her, but when I was playing she knew where I was and what I was doing.

And given the high school kids I was in school with, maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

I eventually gave it to my brother, who eventually gave it to a neighbour kid that wanted to learn to play, after that I lost track of it.

I imagine that it's now all beat to hell, pieces missing, busted this and busted that. But there will always be a special place in my heart for a cruddy Stewart drum kit in neato red sparkle.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
09-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Can't imagine where mu Vistalites are...

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-27-2012, 01:39 PM
I brought my Tama Superstars brand new in 1981, - 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 Concert toms, 1 22 bass and 16 floor tom - later it had 2 bass drums and a Simmond SDX electonic kit behind. I still use it today, and it looks like new. In fact I was the last person in the UK to import the Tama superstar timbales in circa 1986..

and my Brother got me a Tama tour jacket from the Tama factory in Nagoya Japan - Boy I did a lot of showing off in that..

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
My first kit (which I'm still digging for a picture of) was a late '79 CB700. Oddly enough it looked almost identical to Bubba's at the time, minus a bunch of cymbals and low-end floor toms. I knew I couldn't sell it for much to upgrade, so I traded it to a pawn shop in Florida for a BC Rich Warlock bass in '85 when I moved there. Sold the bass for $400 and put that toward a Stewie Copeland style Tama Swingstar (?) that had the fiber coated shells, good sound, crappy hardware. Traded that one in '92 for an enormous Tama Rockstar double bass, full cage, monstrosity that I finally got tired of lugging around and taking almost two hours to set up and take down. Downsized to my current 'Rockstar' configuration, 5 piece, minimal cymbals, with a DW7000 double, and Tama, Sonor and Gibralter hardware...muchos better!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
09-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes I have gone back to single bass, floor tom, one hanging tom, hi hat, ride 2 crashes, and single pedal - I got so fed up of lugging big kits - at its largest it took an hour to break down and put in cases and about 20 mins to move the boxes - madness) - I really am happy playing the small kit.

09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
It takes me about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to set up my whole kit if I don't have to stumbleover other people. Thats why I usually like to arrive at a gig an hour BEFORE the others do so I can get everything set up at MY speed!
09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I know I have posted this before on the drumming thread, so a thousand pardons for boring the pants off people - but wanted to show Tamadrummer my drums when they were all "bulked up" as follows - a video with drum solo at the European pretend to be the CPT

Timbo at the European POLKA TRIO CONVENTION

And as they are now after going on a big diet -

Note the tom is a Yamaha Birch I fancied a double headed tom to sort of match the Tama`s (I still have the concert toms) Sabian Bubba round things made of alloys -

[Image: A3RTnNBCEAEiQJz.jpg:large]

09-28-2012, 08:01 PM
That's some diet, Tim! You can't even hide behind them Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-29-2012, 02:08 AM
If only I was as trim as the new slim downed kit - despite all the moutain biking and drumming......still they do say that when the hole at the top is bigger than the hole at the bottom you are always going to have trouble..hahahaha