09-29-2012, 03:05 PM
RE: Drum Kit turns 25
Good looking bongos boys,,,

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Beautiful kit. Glad you've had so much enjoyment out of it!
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM
I've got some friends with monster kits, one advantage is that you DON'T have to take the whole thing thing around when playing out.
One guy i know custom ordered a DW with 6-8-10-12-14-16-18 toms, double 22 kicks, main and popcorn snare, and enough cymbals to make Terry Bozio jealous.
When he plays out, he'll go single kick, 8-10-12-14 toms and single snare, plus hats, 2 crash, splash, ride and china.
Still not small, but way more manageable than the whole thing.

I personally don't play out on drums (more a guitar guy [boo, hiss, I hear...]) but I have an early 70's (we think) Pearl kit. Root beer tiger stripe finish, 22k, 13t, 16t and 14s. Heck of a lot of fun to play, when I get a chance and place to set it up.
02-10-2013, 03:55 PM
I have a '93 Granstar 5 pc. in purple that I bought new at a music store I worked at in FL. I'd been hooked on Tama ever since I was a kid in the late 70's and saw a full page ad in Modern Drummer with Bubba behind his Artstars. I've dragged those things thousands of miles and more than a few recording jobs. Great kit. I'm thinking, however, about parting with them to get a new Starclassic kit...or perhaps DW...the new Gretsch kits are nice too...

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any deviation is a problem.
03-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I have a Pearl Export. Yes, unfortunately poplar shells! Decent snares though, a Ludwig Black Beauty, Craviotto solid maple and DW Edge (same dimensions as Bubba's but not the commemorative model). Mix of cymbals (Sabian, Wuhan (China), Zildjian and Paiste). I do the garage-band thing with a couple of guys, but I take my playing (probably way too) seriously. Hopefully a Yamaha, Gretch, Sonor (dream on!!) or DW (keep dreaming!!) in the future though.
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
(03-11-2013 11:24 PM)artroy4 Wrote:  I have a Pearl Export. Yes, unfortunately poplar shells! Decent snares though, a Ludwig Black Beauty, Craviotto solid maple and DW Edge (same dimensions as Bubba's but not the commemorative model). Mix of cymbals (Sabian, Wuhan (China), Zildjian and Paiste). I do the garage-band thing with a couple of guys, but I take my playing (probably way too) seriously. Hopefully a Yamaha, Gretch, Sonor (dream on!!) or DW (keep dreaming!!) in the future though.

Hey, Artroy.....does the Black Beauty have a dampener? I bought a Black magic (on eBay)and was suprised to see it does not have one. WAY to ringy for me, but there are ways to fix that.....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
(03-12-2013 02:40 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 11:24 PM)artroy4 Wrote:  I have a Pearl Export. Yes, unfortunately poplar shells! Decent snares though, a Ludwig Black Beauty, Craviotto solid maple and DW Edge (same dimensions as Bubba's but not the commemorative model). Mix of cymbals (Sabian, Wuhan (China), Zildjian and Paiste). I do the garage-band thing with a couple of guys, but I take my playing (probably way too) seriously. Hopefully a Yamaha, Gretch, Sonor (dream on!!) or DW (keep dreaming!!) in the future though.

Hey, Artroy.....does the Black Beauty have a dampener? I bought a Black magic (on eBay)and was suprised to see it does not have one. WAY to ringy for me, but there are ways to fix that.....

This is my second time posting a reply. I hope it works OK. My Black Beauty didn't have a damper either. Yes, I had to work pretty hard with Remo Diplomats (and ring dampeners) to get a usable crack. It seems to work best on days when the humidity is relatively high. Edge works well pretty much in all situations. I'd like to get a VLT, a Bill Bruford model, an Ahead snare (I am telling you my snare wish list --not that you asked!) and a Tama Gladiator. What's your dream drum wish-list, anyone??