Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Local Wine & Brew Brag Book
09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
The Local Wine & Brew Brag Book
I hope this isn't a redundant thread, but I know some of us are VERY proud of our local beverage makers, and thought we might enjoy a dedicated spot to boast and brag on our favorites! Always good to have personal suggestions whilst visiting other areas, eh?!

As such, we are blessed to live in a beautiful area of the country dotted with lakes, hills, and vineyards, which produces of some of the world's best Rieslings! While we are mainly red-wine drinkers, there are several whites that we enjoy on occasion, and will almost always order local when we are out. Known as the Napa of the East, the Finger Lakes wineries are award winning and a lot of fun to visit too!

Here are a few of our faves:

- Heron Hill Semi-Dry Reisling
- Dr. Konstantin Frank - Semi-Dry Reisling
- Casa Larga - Cab Merlot
- Hermann J. Weimer - Cab Franc Reserve

Here's a great article about our region in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/12/dining...d=all&_r=0

Cheers!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: The Local Wine & Brew Brag Book
I've been spending extended periods in so many different places in the last year, I've got a stack of these. Smile I make a point of drinking "local" wherever I go.

Vancouver, BC Canada -- Tinhorn and Grey Monk wines (especially Tinhorn's Late Harvest Kerner and Pinot Gris and GM Pinot Auxerrois and Rotberger). Wineries are in the Okanagan, but that's getting picky....

Bahamas -- Sands beer. And any version of "sky juice" made by a local that has fresh coconut pulp in it.

Saskatoon, SK Canada -- PaddockWood beers: all of 'em.

South-western Ontario, Canada -- Waterloo Dark and Creemore Springs beer.

Eastern Ontario, Canada -- Country Cider (hard apple cider), Wellington Dark and any label from Barley Days (beer), Kawartha Country Wines (raspberry chocolate port and dry rhubarb wine are great, and I'm not usually a fan of fruit wines), Huff Estates (Zero de Gris dessert wine is luscious, and where you see a Maserati Quatroporto parked outside).

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply