Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turkey Time
10-01-2012, 06:23 AM
RE: Turkey Time
I've brined chickens lots of times but never had anything of the appropriate size to brine a turkey. Someone said you could fill up your cooler and do it that way, but wouldn't you have to scrub the heck out of it after? All that potential salmonella contamination: yuck! Huh

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
We have 1 cooler designated to be the brining cooler.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-01-2012, 05:52 PM
(10-01-2012 12:32 PM)2Beers Wrote:  We have 1 cooler designated to be the brining cooler.

Well, OK, but it's still got to be cleaned out every freakin' time -- it's not like you can just toss it into the dishwasher.

I know the reasons one brines, but to need a dedicated cooler and still have to clean it out by hand seems like a lot of work. Think I'd rather stick with getting a turkey that already has a lot of flavour because it's free-range.

----
10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Pressure washer+ bleach = easy peasy clean.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-02-2012, 09:43 AM
These five 'Toms' used to come visit every morning for their dose of fresh sunflower seeds that we'd throw out for our winter birdie friends. The picture was at our old place up on the mountain, just outside our back sliding door, with about 4' of snow on the ground. I'd thought about 'getting' one for Turkey Day that year, but couldn't bring myself to it, especially after watching them for a couple of weeks, but I'll bet they'd have been tasty!Tongue

[Image: Turkeys009.jpg]

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
10-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I like that fat one behind the shovel.

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 02:03 PM by knitterbookbinder.)
[attachment=627]
(10-01-2012 09:27 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Pressure washer+ bleach = easy peasy clean.

Well, I don't own a pressure washer either.... Undecided I'll stick to brining small chickens in big Ziploc bags.

N'awlins: there are flocks of toms and hens at my sister-in-law's place too. I don't have the heart to eat one of them either. The only kind of shooting I want to do with a wild turkey is with my camera.

----
10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
(10-01-2012 06:23 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  I've brined chickens lots of times but never had anything of the appropriate size to brine a turkey. Someone said you could fill up your cooler and do it that way, but wouldn't you have to scrub the heck out of it after? All that potential salmonella contamination: yuck! Huh

I need to learn more about this brining thing.

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
(10-03-2012 09:00 PM)Lanix Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 06:23 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  I've brined chickens lots of times but never had anything of the appropriate size to brine a turkey. Someone said you could fill up your cooler and do it that way, but wouldn't you have to scrub the heck out of it after? All that potential salmonella contamination: yuck! Huh

I need to learn more about this brining thing.

There's a brining thread here on the BnG already, I think: this article (sadly not updated) is the one that got me started....

----
10-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Grill/Smoke the turkey over hardwood charcoal and a drip pan for the gravy! I posted the recipe last year around this time it's a family tradition and greatly anticipated by all!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user