RE: Turkey Time
Thanks

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
[This first part is regurgitated from another thread]:
Several years ago the hubby saw a cooking show that featured smoked Peking Duck and he thought, "Why couldn't I do that with a turkey?" The smoke elements included black tea, cinnamon stick and star anise. For the tea, I think he ended up buying just garden-variety tea bags of Darjeeling or Ceylon and cut them open to mix the loose tea with the other ingredients. We have an electric smoker, which has a small shallow pan with a cover that you put your smoke elements (wood chips, spices, etc) in and place in a rack above the coils. I don't know the measurements he ended up using (he usually smokes a 16-18lb bird, so I'm guessin' the amount was "a lot"), but I do remember that there was a distinctive tea flavor to the finished meat, almost a refreshing sensation on the palate. I'm not sure how often he had to change out the smoke elements, though.
---------------------------------

This is our Peking Turkey from 2011 (pic a bit fuzzy, but you get the ideer). Smoked 11+ hours, mopped w/a hoisin barbeque sauce, and smoke elements refreshed every 2 hours (or as needed). We also do a deep-fried turkey, but the last couple years it seems the Peking has been the preferred bird at our big Thanksgiving Eve potluck party ("GorgeFest"). This year we may just do a couple of these in lieu of deep-frying...
(far less messy, too!)

[Image: smokedbird.jpg]

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-07-2012, 07:37 PM
OMG that looks freaking amazing!!! The skin looks so yummy!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!