Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boiling fish in Sprite or 7up?
10-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Boiling fish in Sprite or 7up?
Hi Everyone and Anyone,

I'm down to the last of the sturgeon that I caught back in May and I've cooked it a number of different ways but I've heard that some folks like to boil fish (especially sturgeon) in Sprite or 7up. I tried doing some Google searches on this and turned up surprisingly little. This suggests to me that A) very few people are aware of it and/or B) it's a waste of some perfectly good cuts of sturgeon. Thoughts? Recipes? Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
Cool

Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 09:34 PM
RE: Boiling fish in Sprite or 7up?
(10-12-2012 08:38 PM)VStarRider Wrote:  Hi Everyone and Anyone,

I'm down to the last of the sturgeon that I caught back in May and I've cooked it a number of different ways but I've heard that some folks like to boil fish (especially sturgeon) in Sprite or 7up. I tried doing some Google searches on this and turned up surprisingly little. This suggests to me that A) very few people are aware of it and/or B) it's a waste of some perfectly good cuts of sturgeon. Thoughts? Recipes? Suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
Cool

I found this page, but it's about a fish boil. No soda, but it's all I could find.Door county fish boil

10-13-2012, 05:27 AM
And I found 25 Ways to Cook Sturgeon....

Poaching, as opposed to hard-boiling, is a great way to cook fish in general, although I'm not entirely sure about doing it with straight soda. That being said, I do often add a bit of tonic water to my chicken and pork marinades, especially when slow-cooking or using the BBQ.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2012 11:46 AM by Sunset.)
OP...I've heard of brining in soda pop, but never poaching/boiling. Maybe, carve a small piece of sturgeon and test it out? Keeping a glass of fluid handy to dilute if necessary..

(10-13-2012 05:27 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  That being said, I do often add a bit of tonic water to my chicken and pork marinades, especially when slow-cooking or using the BBQ.

Interesting...

Like gin&tonic schwepps type tonic? What benefit do you see? Flavor from the sugar or quinine? Something else?

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2012 05:18 PM by knitterbookbinder.)
Sunset Wrote:
(10-13-2012 05:27 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  That being said, I do often add a bit of tonic water to my chicken and pork marinades, especially when slow-cooking or using the BBQ.

Interesting...

Like gin&tonic schwepps type tonic? What benefit do you see? Flavor from the sugar or quinine? Something else?

Yup, the very same stuff. I find it does a great job on tenderizing ribs, for example, and one of those I don`t know what you used but there`s a secret ingredient in your marinade moments for my guests. It`s got to be the quinine, I suppose, and I can`t remember where I picked that tip up from, but it sure is good.... Big Grin

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I ended up trying what I'm told is "poor man's lobster." I took one of the sturgeon steaks and cut it into 1" cubes and boiled it in the 7up until the pieces floated. I dipped the pieces in melted butter and enjoyed it as an appetizer. Not bad. The other steak went on the grill as the main course.

Thanks for the responses!

Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape, every nerve aware.