Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tassos Ham
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 08:05 PM by lildonner.)
Tassos Ham
I've always wanted to try something different, so when I saw pork shoulders on sale I couldn't resist. I had to try making a Tassos ham. It's that wonderful ingredient found in Cajun and Creole dishes throughout LA. Did not take as long as I thought to do. Very tasty results. Here are the picks:     Most of it is packaged up for future use (eggs in the a.m., jambalaya at night)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2012, 08:21 PM
RE: Tassos Ham
Could you please post the recipe, or a link to it?

10-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Yes, please to the recipe sharing. That is if you are willing to let us in on your secrets.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
My bad, forgot to post this last night, I was distracted by a bright shiny object....
Use a pork shoulder or a Boston butt, the word ham is a misnomer. My pork shoulder was about 2 1/2 lbs. Trim the excess fat, and cut the shoulder into 1 inch by 4 inch strips. you want them a little thin, but no too much.
Cure the shoulder for at least 12 hours or as long as 3 days. (you will have to play around with this, it is about personal taste.) Use your favorite cure, I used Morton Tenderquick to cut down on the cure time.
When the meat has cured to your taste, rinse the meat thoroughly and pat dry (make sure the meat is dry for the next step!)
Now for the rub.
2 tablespoons cayenne
3 tablespoons Marjoram
3 Tablespoons Allspice
2 Tablespoons Sweet paprika
2 Teaspoons Garlic (optional or add more if you like)
Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
Before dredging all of the meat in the spice mixture test the mixture by dredging a small piece of pork and frying it up. This is where you can adjust the heat of your mixture. The spice mix shouldn't be too hot as you will probably will be adjusting spices in whatever dish you are making.
When you are satisfied with your mixture dredge the meat in the spice mixture, making sure to cover the meat well. Then smoke with your favorite wood. I used a combination of apple and hickory for about 4 1/2 hours. The finished product should come up to 150 degrees. Cut up for future use in various dishes. Enjoy!