Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thanksgiving dinner
11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanksgiving dinner
So with thanksgiving coming up a week from now (really? is it so soon?) I'm planning dinner.
We have a turkey being planning, and with the number of people coming, I want to make brisket as well. I've made one on the smoker the past couple holidays, but I think I want to do it in the slow cooker / crock pot this time around.
As tasty as it is, my smoked one is a bit on the dryer side.
Anyone have any good crock pot brisket recipes?
One complication is that we have one dairy allergy and one gluten/soy allergy, who takes it as an insult if not everything can be eater by her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 04:21 AM
RE: Thanksgiving dinner
Never tried that. Sorry I can't help.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Our Thanksgiving with our kids will be on Sunday this year(2 are working and the other 2 with the grandbabe are celebrating with his family) so originally Fireman and I were going to have something just for us two.

Then somehow I was pleaded to and asked by my brother's girlfriend if we'd be willing to have a little something by us. Now the count is 7: us, my mom, my brother, his girlfriend, my niece and my nephew.
Originally they and my mom were going by her family, but something was changed and that idea fell thru.

In the fridge chilling is a fresh 17lb turkey. I've never had the opportunity to cook a fresh never frozen bird. Instead of doing a wet brine method I'm going to try a dry salt brining method.

Besides the turkey I have planned to serve mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, rolls and fresh cranberry relish.
Hopefully I will remember to photo document this event and share here.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to the pix.Wink

I'm going to try a new roasting method this year, so today I'm performing a dry run in order to mitigate any...uhh..."surprises"come turkeyday.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
11-20-2017, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017 11:58 AM by 2Beers.)
Happy to find out that my brother's oldest will also be with us, so the count is to 8.
Then I get a txt from the hubby while he's at work " What if we smoked the turkey this year? One of my coworkers did a trial bird for his family day and brought in samples for tasting and comments from us".
I then texted my brother to check in with him and his thoughts about smoked turkey instead of roasted. His reply was " Mmmmm and oh wow that would be awesome ".
I'm still going to do the dry brine method and have a herbed compound butter for under the skin as it smokes. This definitely frees up the oven for the stuffing and sweet potatoes. As I type this response my nephew just texted me asking if we could have the yummy mashed potatoes dish this year (he and my brother are out hunting on the family land for venison). The potato dish he's asking for is our own Debskis' party potatoes.
Looking forward to reading and seeing pictures of your new cooking adventure Sunset.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-20-2017, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 10:12 AM by Sunset.)
Turned out great.Smile I'll never do a traditional roasting method again.

2 kettles boiling water pour over to tighten the skin...then dry brine rub 3T kosher salt, 1Tbaking powder, 1t black pepper(only used about 2/3 of this mixture)then 36hr uncovered in fridge...then remove from fridge 1hr prior to oven and spatchcock that sucker...brush with veg oil and lightly salt/pepper...20min @ 450 then reduce to 400...roast 1hr15min, brush again and rotate bird 180deg in oven...remove when thighs 165 and breast 150. 23lb bird done in 2hrs50min.

Skin was like cracking glass candy...

[Image: IMG_4596.jpg]

11-21-2017, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2017 09:50 PM by Scooter Britches.)
HOLY COW, that looks amazingly good!!! Do you still get enough run off to make gravy?

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
11-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Oooohhh, Ahhhhh.......

I wondered about the baking powder addition. I was internet inquiring and saw only 1 posting about using it to make the skin crispy when smoking. I was a bit unsure and didn't want to chance it with only seeing one post about using it.
I just did a salt brine rub of: kosher salt, black pepper, dried marjoram, dried powdered rosemary, dry rubbed sage, dried thyme, Spanish smoked paprika, dried powdered lemon peel and dried orange peel.
So we shall see how this goes one 17 lb bird rubbed and chillin'.

11-22-2017, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 10:09 AM by Sunset.)
(11-21-2017 09:49 PM)Scooter Britches Wrote:  HOLY COW, that looks amazingly good!!! Do you still get enough run off to make gravy?
Yep!

In fact, there were enough drippings for 2 batches of gravy so I sealed/refrigerated half of it. Now, when it's go time tomorrow, I can start my gravy well before the bird is pulled from the oven instead of rushing it while the bird cools.

(11-22-2017 07:19 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Oooohhh, Ahhhhh.......

I wondered about the baking powder addition. I was internet inquiring and saw only 1 posting about using it to make the skin crispy when smoking. I was a bit unsure and didn't want to chance it with only seeing one post about using it.
I just did a salt brine rub of: kosher salt, black pepper, dried marjoram, dried powdered rosemary, dry rubbed sage, dried thyme, Spanish smoked paprika, dried powdered lemon peel and dried orange peel.
So we shall see how this goes one 17 lb bird rubbed and chillin'.

Sounds delish!

The baking powder(not soda) method is Sunset approved as long as one keeps the proper ratio of 3 kosher salt:1baking powder.

11-23-2017, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2017 07:43 AM by 2Beers.)
Thanks, Sunset I will keep that in the recipe tip file.

On our turkey front I asked if we could roast it this time so I could get a idea of how a fresh brined bird is like.
One herb butter rubbed fowl awaiting it's sauna time.