Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need new seasoning ideas for salmon
12-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Need new seasoning ideas for salmon
Hi everybody. It's been a VERY long time since I've been here for a visit (and didn't realized just HOW long until I looked at my stats). I need some new ideas for seasoning salmon. Right now, all I'm doing is baking it. I sprinkle it with kosher salt, and then there are two different seasoning blends I get from a regional retailer (who shall remain nameless unless an admin wants to tell me it's ok to post the name of the place since they also have a thriving online retail business). One is shallot-pepper (also has garlic and something else I can't remember right now), and one is a spice blend that doesn't contain any salt. It has thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion, and a few other things. I like them both, but I'm trying to branch out and try something different. My kid is getting sick of the spice blend, and he made it quite clear in no uncertain terms a few nights ago. Now I like a LITTLE bit of citrus, but lemon pepper is just too much citrus for me. More than just a hint is too much. I like a citrus undertone, but I'd rather taste all the other flavors of the seasoning, and I also don't want it to overwhelm the salmon. I don't use any olive oil or anything else since salmon is already fatty and tasty as it is. Does anybody have a spice blend/combo you can recommend? I should also add that I don't like to use sauces much either, as I find it masks the fish.
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2012, 07:12 AM
RE: Need new seasoning ideas for salmon
I remember I had salmon once (a loooonnnggg time ago) that was done with honey and citrus.
It was incredible (obviously, since I still remember it) but it was a banquet situation so I wasn't able to go back and taste it again so I could try to replicate it.
Looking around online I found this....

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Salmon-Mari...ition=3/14

I am betting this is about as close as I could come to reproducing it...

Good luck with your quest! Shy

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
12-22-2012, 09:58 AM
How about some lemon juice(just a brush some on), and fresh dill(or dried if you don't have fresh).

12-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I soooooooo want to post up a few excellent recipes for buerre blancs, maple glazes and so forth...but that won't be very helpful if I've read your post correctly.

If you're looking for a no muss no fuss seasoning that tastes great...

Google "Spade L Ranch". Both the beef and fish preparations pair well with salmon. And because they contain brown sugar, they both create a lovely crust on your salmon steak.

But you really might think about trying a few light, simple sauces.Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
12-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Or....

You might try a fresh seasoning alternative.

Gremolata
1.5 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1 small garlic clove finely minced
Zest from one small lime
Mix ingredients and set aside

Lightly season salmon with salt/pepper and bake as usual. Then sprinkle gremolata over salmon and serve.

G'luck...

12-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Decent suggestions so far.....Sunset, go ahead and hit me with the sauces. I can always put it on the side so I don't get too much of it. That is the beautiful thing about cooking at home vs eating out - you can control the amount of sauce you put on something, IF you do sauce at all. One of my biggest pet peeves in a restaurant is when they bring the food out and it is bathed in sauce. A good sauce can compliment the food, but I find that in restaurants, usually it just covers up the fact that the food isn't cooked right or that the ingredients are sub-par. A maple glaze sounds interesting....and that gremolata sounds interesting too. And it really doesn't get much easier than dill and lemon juice, does it? I find the fewer ingredients and seasonings, the better the food ends up tasting (in general, anyway). I did try a new seasoning blend I found that is garlic, chives, lemon peel, and something else I can't remember. Honestly, I could eat salmon every day if it wasn't so expensive. Oh, and if I could get the rest of my family to eat it. I don't think anybody can help me with that though Tongue
12-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I like to top it with a fair amount of Feta Cheese, spinach,sea salt, tomato and cilantro. Maybe a little onion and cucumber too. Baked in an oven or charcoal grill for 20 mins. Easy cheesy!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
01-07-2013, 04:03 PM
I haven't forgotten about ya Zen...but I'm out of time and have to split the scene. I'll be back with a couple more ideas for ya soon...[/u]

01-08-2013, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 03:36 PM by Sunset.)
Hey Zen...give this one a try.

Lime-ginger Beurre blanc
-2TBS minced shallot
-1tsp finely grated fresh ginger
-2TBS fresh lime juice
-1/4C dry white wine
-1 stick COLD unsalted butter

Simmer shallot and ginger in lime juice and wine until reduced to about 2TBS. Whisk in butter 1TBS at a time adding each new piece just before previous piece has melted while occasionally lifting pan from heat to cool mixture. Sauce MUST NOT get too hot or it will break! Pour sauce through fine sieve into bowl and discard solids. Return to clean pan and keep on very low heat until ready to use.

01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Oops...I forgot to mention you might like to add a pinch or two of white pepper at the end. It really makes the sauce pop.