Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooks Illustrated
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Cooks Illustrated
This is the absolute best cooking magazine. these are the same people who do the America's Test Kit hen show on PBS (the mag came way before the show). 6 issues per year, zero advertismnts, great, thoroughly tested recipe's (without fail when one of their recipes starts with "the best" it truly is) and equipment reviews. And they have many well-organized cookbooks. I cannot say enough about this magazine and the recipes I it.

Plus, an added bonus that Bubba would surely like: Christopher Kimball, the creator of the magazine still lives in a small New England town (in Vermont, I believe) and he opens each magazine with a nice written story about something that happens or he learns, typically in that small town.

If you decide to pick one up, enjoy!

Ps...thanks for the invite to this web site. This looks like it will be good fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 01:47 PM
RE: Cooks Illustrated
(04-28-2010 07:40 PM)Adrian Wrote:  This is the absolute best cooking magazine. these are the same people who do the America's Test Kit hen show on PBS (the mag came way before the show). 6 issues per year, zero advertismnts, great, thoroughly tested recipe's (without fail when one of their recipes starts with "the best" it truly is) and equipment reviews. And they have many well-organized cookbooks. I cannot say enough about this magazine and the recipes I it.

Plus, an added bonus that Bubba would surely like: Christopher Kimball, the creator of the magazine still lives in a small New England town (in Vermont, I believe) and he opens each magazine with a nice written story about something that happens or he learns, typically in that small town.

If you decide to pick one up, enjoy!

Ps...thanks for the invite to this web site. This looks like it will be good fun!

I think he lives in Norwich, VT home of King Arthur Flour- a MUST see destination if you are ever in and around VT. They specialize in baking (shocker I know) and have some truly unique items in their shop. I now make the BEST rye bread with their Deli Rye starter...

Aside from the retail shop they generally have a full compliment of cooking, albeit mostly baking classes, each week. I have taken a few and found them to be quite helpful.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
My wife is a big fan and subscriber to Cooks Illustrated. She often prints out the online version of Chris Kimball's stories for me to read. His farm sounds great, and the pictures always look so beautiful. Of course, whenever she makes one of their recipes, that ain’t too bad either.Tongue
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I've been meaning to subscribe to Cooks Illustrated and just keep putting it off. I watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS, and visit the website often. Agree with Adrian: I've never had a recipe of theirs fail. I can finally fry chicken thanks to their "Extra Crunchy Fried Chicken" recipe. Sometimes you just gotta have it ;-)

Chris Kimball is a hoot, especially in the product testing lab. He calls 'em just how he sees 'em, and he's funny!
05-04-2010, 11:35 PM
The PBS show,the magazine,the website that e-mails me recipes,Chris Kimball--it's all fantastic! And I believe even more important is their integrity. After they feel they've hit upon the perfect recipe formula (sometimes after dozens of failed variations), they repeat it 10 times to make sure it can be duplicated exactly. Not to mention the fact, as Adrian pointed out, they don't have any advertising so the products used and the equipment endorsements that come from the equipment lab are genuine. Plus they keep in mind that we can't all afford to shell out $300 for a 10-inch skillet and inform us of the best, more economical version. I've raved enough now-I'll stop.
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
(05-04-2010 11:35 PM)AmyGusto Wrote:  The PBS show,the magazine,the website that e-mails me recipes,Chris Kimball--it's all fantastic! And I believe even more important is their integrity. After they feel they've hit upon the perfect recipe formula (sometimes after dozens of failed variations), they repeat it 10 times to make sure it can be duplicated exactly. Not to mention the fact, as Adrian pointed out, they don't have any advertising so the products used and the equipment endorsements that come from the equipment lab are genuine. Plus they keep in mind that we can't all afford to shell out $300 for a 10-inch skillet and inform us of the best, more economical version. I've raved enough now-I'll stop.

If Americas Test Kitchen is not enough Chris Kimball for you, I have recently found, Cooks Country. Many of the same features in noth shows, but equally dynamic recipes. Their cinder glazed pork chops.... Angel

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I LOVE Cooks Illustrated. I have almost all of their cookbooks, have subscribed to the magazine for years and loved the show. I also have a huge Kimball cookbook that has just about everything in it. I can't say enough good things about Cooks Illustrated! Total must have!
03-09-2017, 12:28 AM
Sadly CK was fired from ATK in early 2016 and he has moved on to Milk Street Kitchen, which will have a PBS show starting this fall 2017.
That is if all the lawsuits about intellectual property get settled by then.

"I love deadlines....I love the sound of them as they go WHOOSHING over my head!" -Douglas Adams