Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Convection ovens
01-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Convection ovens
When I bought my house, it came with all of the appliances, including an electric stove. I didn't realize until recently that it has a convection oven feature(they call it speedbake).
Does anyone have any tips for using it, other than for bread and baked items.
I've already found that a pizza will be done in about 8 minutes(if the crust is par-baked), and bread turns out beautifully. What else can I use this feature for?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 04:58 PM
RE: Convection ovens
(01-12-2013 04:27 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  When I bought my house, it came with all of the appliances, including an electric stove. I didn't realize until recently that it has a convection oven feature(they call it speedbake).
I've already found that a pizza will be done in about 8 minutes(if the crust is par-baked), and bread turns out beautifully. What else can I use this feature for?

Hubby says anything. Cut down on the heat and the baking time. When we bake cookies, we only use the convection for the last 5 minutes. That way, they're soft in the middle and have a nice crisp on the outside.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
(01-12-2013 04:58 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:27 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  When I bought my house, it came with all of the appliances, including an electric stove. I didn't realize until recently that it has a convection oven feature(they call it speedbake).

Hubby says anything. Cut down on the heat and the baking time. When we bake cookies, we only use the convection for the last 5 minutes. That way, they're soft in the middle and have a nice crisp on the outside.
How much do you decrease the heat? 25 degrees?

01-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Wish I could help Nettie, but I'm always afraid I'll over bake a dish so I never use it. Pretty sure the only difference is the circulation of super heated air reduces bake times...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Nettie....generally, yes about 25 degrees. The length of time may vary. We're at 6500 feet above sea level, so high altitude baking is weird anyway. You can always bake things longer until they're done. You just can't unbake them Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...