Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pie Crust
01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Pie Crust
I have been messing with this for a while, pie crust by hand, pie crust in a food processor, blah blah blah. Here it is, I make this at the fire house, my Chief, worked in a bakery and stated its fantastic, give it a try and let me know.
3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (fruit pies only)
1 1/2 cups butter flavoured shortening (taste better)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 beaten egg
4 tablespoons cold water
I put the flour, brown sugar, salt in a food processor pulse a few times to combine, next combine shortening, pulsing until is begins to resemble crumbs. Next, add the beaten egg, and the cold water pulse until the dough combines, thats it. The best part of this crust is its flaky texture and great taste, the worst part is its very delicate, so after many attempts the best way to handle is to place it into the pie pan right out of the food processor, no rolling or resting, push the dough in the pan the same way they make deep dish pizzas in Chicago, then put the dough and pie pan in the freezer until the filling is ready. If your pie requires a top you will need to roll the dough between wax paper, this recipe will yield dough for two to three pies depending on thickness. It may be nessesary to shield the pie with a tin foil tent if your pie requires long cooking times, the sugar in the dough makes burning a possability.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
RE: Pie Crust
(01-14-2013 10:50 AM)dw2112 Wrote:  I have been messing with this for a while, pie crust by hand, pie crust in a food processor, blah blah blah. Here it is, I make this at the fire house, my Chief, worked in a bakery and stated its fantastic, give it a try and let me know.
3 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (fruit pies only)
1 1/2 cups butter flavoured shortening (taste better)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 beaten egg
4 tablespoons cold water
I put the flour, brown sugar, salt in a food processor pulse a few times to combine, next combine shortening, pulsing until is begins to resemble crumbs. Next, add the beaten egg, and the cold water pulse until the dough combines, thats it. The best part of this crust is its flaky texture and great taste, the worst part is its very delicate, so after many attempts the best way to handle is to place it into the pie pan right out of the food processor, no rolling or resting, push the dough in the pan the same way they make deep dish pizzas in Chicago, then put the dough and pie pan in the freezer until the filling is ready. If your pie requires a top you will need to roll the dough between wax paper, this recipe will yield dough for two to three pies depending on thickness. It may be nessesary to shield the pie with a tin foil tent if your pie requires long cooking times, the sugar in the dough makes burning a possability.

An interesting recipe! It is quite different from my standard recipe but I'll try it! Thanks!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply