Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chili Cook Off Secrets
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Chili Cook Off Secrets
We are doing a chili cook off at work in a couple weeks. Its not all that competitive but I would really like to do something special. I was going to us a beef roast instead of ground beef and put it on the smoker for a bit. Just enough to impart some flavor. Then simmer in a tomato based sauce. Question 1: Beans or no Beans? Question 2: Cheese, sour cream, and noodles on the side? What other tips do you all have?

Fir Na Tine
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
RE: Chili Cook Off Secrets
(01-21-2013 10:51 AM)Fireman Wrote:  We are doing a chili cook off at work in a couple weeks. Its not all that competitive but I would really like to do something special. I was going to us a beef roast instead of ground beef and put it on the smoker for a bit. Just enough to impart some flavor. Then simmer in a tomato based sauce. Question 1: Beans or no Beans? Question 2: Cheese, sour cream, and noodles on the side? What other tips do you all have?

Real chili has no beans (at least not Texas style). They're just to fill space. Forgive my ignorance, but noodles??? Maybe put some onions and Fritos on the side Smile

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 10:16 PM by LiveToCook.)
(01-21-2013 10:51 AM)Fireman Wrote:  I was going to us a beef roast instead of ground beef and put it on the smoker for a bit.
Your idea of using a roast and smoking it... I love it... Then you slow cook this roast for doing a pull type meat and you should do well... You can use whatever in the pot when doing the cooking, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, let your imagination (or inspiration of the moment) do the work. Just make sure there is some fat on the roast...do not remove it all or it will be dry... even sitting in a sauce base. Once cooked, you remove the meat and do the cut and pull to size desired. Remove the majority of the fat from the sauce and use this as a base to make the chili sauce... Depending on what you put in, you might want to screen this to remove large chunks. Any more questions, let me know.
01-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Here's my secret ingredient: a wee pinch of cinnamon. Really!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I will post pics and details when this all happens.

Fir Na Tine