Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shiny side in or out?!?
04-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Shiny side in or out?!?
I was brought up with the notion that when one cooks with aluminum foil, the shiny side always faces in. Then, one day, I was watching the popular culinary channel. One of the "chefs" said it doesn't matter. Now I'm really confused!

Out of all the issues, this is the most confusing.Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 04:52 AM
RE: Shiny side in or out?!?
I was told the same thing about the shiny side on foil, but then I also heard - on a science program on the radio, of all things - that it makes no difference whatsoever.

I guess it makes some sense. If it was light we were concerned about then the shiny side/dull side debate would matter. But we're not concerned with light, we're concerned with heat.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I find that my tin-foil hat works better shiny side out... for it is reflected in another source of light. When it is shiny side in, it radiates more heat than light.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
i can't get used to this being called "aluminium foil" maybe it's a London thing but i've always known it as "tin foil" and i don't know anybody here that doesn't have it shiny side out, even going right back to watching my mother cooking, too many years ago for my liking, as a kid.
05-30-2010, 02:39 PM
I have always used it shiny side out. I supposed this is what my Mom used to do and I really never gave it a thought. I believe it work just as well either way.
03-23-2011, 12:57 PM
i recently bump into Gordon Ramsey, i don't normally name drop! and the only thing i could think of asking him as he was signing his autograph, of all the things i could have asked, it's amazing how your brain just empties out every cooking question there ever was at these times, was this thread, he looked up, laughed, and said "shiny side out of course" I'll take that as the definitive answer then.
04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
When i'm cooking stews and what have you I use tin/aluminum foil folded up into a parcel shape (a kind of "En Papillote " if you will) instead of using casserole dishes etc...it's a long story, and the habit just stuck...but, basically if you do it so that the shiny side faces inwards it reflects heat towards the food which helps the cooking process along and the dull side facing outwards absorbs the heat in better.

There's a lot of it about.
04-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Yes, I was always told that the shiny side should be "aimed" at the food to benefit from the reflective surface.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
04-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:he looked up, laughed, and said "shiny side out of course"

Surprised GR didn`t add a few F Word expletives to go with the advice........

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I find that as a wrapping "material" it looks better with the shiny side out.

However, I will side with Mr. Ramsey on all cooking issues lest I find myself on the wrong end of one of his "tirades" ...

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor