Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Doggie Dinner
03-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Heart Doggie Dinner
I thought this would best be filed under the "Quirky" subject. I make homemade food for my dog, he is my son and, just like if he were an actual child, I like to know what I'm feeding them. A lot of people ask me for this recipe so I thought maybe I would share this on here in case anybody else has been curious. It is very simple and does not take long to prepare if you follow the instructions.

---------------------------

3/4 Cup Barley
1/4 Cup Non-Instant Oatmeal
2 Medium Sized Chicken Breasts - Cubed
2 Chicken Livers - Chopped into approx 1/4" cubes
2 -3 Celery Stalks - Chopped into 1/4" slices
1/4 Cup Zuchinni or Yellow Squash - Cubed
1/4 Cup (fresh or frozen) Green Beans
1/4 Cup Frozen Pea and Carrot Mix
1 Small Yam - cubed

In a large sauce pot set water (About 1 1/2 Cups) to boiling, add barley and oatmeal and turn heat to medium, occasionally stirring. While the barley and oatmeal are cooking, begin to prepare and measure your veggies and set them aside. Wash and prepare your meats. Once the barley and oatmeal look close to done (for me this is about 10-15 minutes), add the chicken breast and yam (since it takes longer to soften during boiling) and stir, cook for 5 minutes and then add the liver pieces

At this point I eye the water level and add more if needed.

When liver pieces start to brown, add frozen vegetables, simmer for about 3-5 more minutes, add fresh vegetables, cook for about 3 more minutes.

[ Don't forget to stir the pot after each ingredient is added. Wink ]

Remove pan from heat and allow to cool, ingredients will continue to cook quite a bit once removed so if you think they are getting really close to being done while the pot is still on the fire, go ahead and remove it earlier.

Once ingredients are cool, blend with hand blender or add to blender or food processor.

Note: If the food seems very watery and soup like due to there being too much water added or dispersing from the veggies and chicken, drain some off before blending. You are not making a soup and want to go for a thicker consistency that matches wet dog food from the pet store.

Just another Note: Put about 3-4 days worth of food in one container and any additional in the freezer. This amount lasts me about one week for a 12 pound dog. Then prepare yourself for additional doggie kisses and a very excited pet that will trail your ankles around the kitchen when they know you are preparing their food.

Heart,

GangsterFurious
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
RE: Doggie Dinner
Well, like you mentioned... Your dog, your son, eats well, very well I must say. I would not be worried about eating this myself. The only thing(s) missing is the salt and spices.
Unfortunately some kids within our cities do not eat this well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply