Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Egg disaster...
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Egg disaster...
Last night my dear sister cooked 2 dozen eggs for me, so that I could have my class dye them today. She did not use my cooking method. I knew there were extras, because I only have 21 students, so I cracked one open for breakfast.

It was soft cooked and runny.

I cracked open another.
It was also soft cooked. I now have 20 soft cooked eggs in the fridge.

I made a new batch tonight for my students to dye tomorrow(and checked, they are hard cooked!), but does anyone have any ideas of what to do with the "disaster" eggs?
Can they be rescued and made into hard boiled(I could use them up quite quickly if they can be rescued!)
I could probably use some in fried rice, and some for breakfast, but I need some more ideas.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2013, 04:28 AM
RE: Egg disaster...
You can hardboil the ones you haven't cracked open yet. But don't microwave them!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
(03-28-2013 04:28 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  You can hardboil the ones you haven't cracked open yet. But don't microwave them!
Great, I'll reboil them then!
By the way,
I would take them out of the shell to zap them if I was going to do that, and then break the yolk. I've had fresh eggs explode in the microwave even if they are well scrambled!

07-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm a little late to the party on this message...so here's a few hints for better hard boiled eggs.

1. Place your eggs in a 3 quart saucepan and fill with COLD water, just enough to cover them. Add at least 2 tablespoons of salt to the water, this will make the eggs easier to peel. (I know, there were kids involved in the original posting...)

2. Bring your water just to the point of boiling and SHUT OFF the heat. Set your timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, follow Step #3.

3. Shock the eggs by adding at least 3 cups of ice to the water. This stops the cooking process. Also, run cold water on them for five minutes.

4. You should have perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs and the yolks should a nice yellow, and NOT turn green on you and smell
like sulfur when refrigerated.

The eggs should be easier to peel also, since the salt makes the eggs less prone to cracking while being cooked.

Enjoy!

"I love deadlines....I love the sound of them as they go WHOOSHING over my head!" -Douglas Adams
07-08-2013, 07:09 AM
That is how I cook them. That isn't what the other person did.