Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pacific Northwest Cuisine
04-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Pacific Northwest Cuisine
What comes to mind when you think of Pacific Northwest Cuisine?
Dungeness Crab…Salmon…truffles…Mo’s Clam chowder…Voodoo Doughnuts…Amazing Craft Beers…Cheese…

Yes, I said cheese. California and Wisconsin do not have a lock on the cheese industry.
From small Artesian Cheese makers to Tillamook Cheese…hold on, you’ve never heard of Tillamook Cheese?....oh, I’m sorry….*sigh* …if you’ve never had Tillamook Cheese well, not everyone can be that lucky I guess. You know, they have a 3 year old Vintage White Cheddar that will make the angels sing, it’s that good…

Sorry, I drifted off…CHEESE! We were talking about cheese.
Well, even if you can’t buy Tillamook Cheese, you can use their recipes. And they have LOTS of recipes. And since April is Grilled Cheese Sammish month, what better recipe could there be than a recipe for a truly superior Grilled Cheese Sammish?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you....
The Mousetrap

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
RE: Pacific Northwest Cuisine
YUM!!! And don't forget Tillamook ice cream for dessert! Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-13-2013, 05:54 PM
CHEESE ICE CREAM??? No waaay!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
04-13-2013, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2013 07:35 PM by 2Beers.)
Wink Ok HWDGRL , I'll will admit that the are those who can make a cheese in the same class level as our WI Master Cheese Makers, but we've been doing that for a long time. Big Grin

I've had some wonderful 8, 10 and 12 year cheddar, besides the lovely creamy mild brick from a local Master Cheese Maker. He's a really nice guy and fun to talk with.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Tillamook! Best cheese, best ice cream, best yogurt! I have a slice of their medium cheddar every day. It's sooooooooo good!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
04-19-2013, 08:14 PM
This thread caught my attention. I will jump in and give a shout out to Tillamook Cheese (and ice cream). Angels sing for 3 year old white cheddar? All this time I thought that singing was from the two churches down the street from me! I LOVE Tillamook cheese!

Now when it comes to ice cream, Tillamook has some competition. We have Lochmead here in the valley, and Umpqua as well. Another long time contender is Alpenrose. I saw that name on most of the dairy products when I used to visit my mother's family in the Portland area.

Tomorrow, we're heading to the coast, where they have BJ's ice cream. A MUST stop when going to the coast around here.

I think that HardwareGrl has pretty much mentioned most of the foods associated with the PNW. Where she and I live, it's a bit more, ahem, "organic", here in the valley.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Thank you all for the inspiration! Next years bucket list road trip is steering towards the PNW. When my buddy and I review the natioanal map, we have not been to your neck of the woods. Good food and beer are excellent carrots to put on the end of the stick and motivate us west. (See my review of SweetWater Brewery in Fav Bevs thread)
PS, here in New England those Vermonters have a way with cheese, and Richardson's Dairy in Middleton, MA is the king of ice cream along with Haywoods in Nashua, NH.

Season's Greetings!
03-10-2014, 09:22 PM
This is a year old now, but PNW cuisine? I live here, so I can weigh in.

Seattle is one of the hearts of the Pacific Northwest. We have seafood, coffee, truffles, cheese....and teriyaki. Yes. The ubiquitous 'food' of Seattle, the restaurant you'll see on nearly every corner, is a teriyaki joint. We have hundreds of them, at least, around the region.

But our teriyaki isn't the delicate dish found in Japan. No, it's a dish of some 1/2 lb. of grilled chicken, served over rice, doused in a bracing sauce made of sugar, pineapple juice, and garlic (among other things), and a handful of iceberg lettuce with Ranch dressing added as almost an afterthought, as if this 'vegetable' makes it healthy. Everyone has their favorite dish, and their favorite place. I like the Chicken Katsu at Teriyaki Madness the best. Friendships have been questioned due to teriyaki shop allegiances.

Teriyaki in the NYT!

A recipe!

An essay on it.

And finally, local viewpoint, from a Seattle newspaper.
03-11-2014, 08:02 PM
'Scuse me did someone say TILLAMOOK CHEESE???????????

Lets see - SALMON, cheese, Mo's Clam Chowder, wines, esp Pinots and Merlots, and a few tasty reislings, theres also Der Rheinlander (my lord the beer cheese fondue!!) and all sorts of Voodoo donuts.

Now Im hungry!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
03-29-2014, 07:29 AM
International seemed to be the place for this easy cheesy mexy pie
Mexi-Mchican pizza

pizza dough is on you, large, you can buy one or easy dough recipe follows...
1 can Rosarita spicy jalepeno refried beans/ or refried black beans, your choice..
1 cup roasted peppers and onions/ from grocery or make your own
1/2 pound diced cooked fajita chicken meat/ or grill your own
1 drizzle olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 pound mexican cheese, your choice

extra condiments/ all optional
1/2 cup salsa/ your choice
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup guacamole
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped gr. onions
1/4 cup jalepeno slices
1/2 lime
1/4 cup chopped olives

pre-heat oven to 450
roll out dough
spread refrieds over dough/ as much as you would pizza sauce
top with cheese then mix together chicken, peppers, onions, cilantro and olive oil then spread evenly over top of pizza
Bake for 15-17 minutes or until crust is crispy/ remove from oven squeeze lime then add any or all condiments.

Dough recipe
3/4 # flour
just under 2 cups luke warm water, not hot, not cold
.25 ounce sugar, salt and yeast
tablespoon veggie oil
put yeast and water in bowl, let activate for a couple mins
add flour, sugar, salt
If using a kitchenaide mixer use a dough hook
mix on low add oil let mix for a few mins till dough comes clean from side of bowl...if manual you can mix by hand
Spray a cookie pan w/ cooking spray then transfer dough onto pan
Let stand for a about 10 mins covered then form into a dough ball
Spread a touch of oil on dough, cover tightly w/ plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight, or at least 6-7 hours...its best if you let stand for a day
Makes one large dough ball or a couple of smalls
Roll out dough on a cutting board w/ some flour to about fourteen inch pizza
A pizza screen is best to use but make sure it is seasoned.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"