Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When Food Meets Music: Jazzfest
05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
RE: When Food Meets Music: Jazzfest
[attachment=39]Thanks, I appreciate it. OK, finally, I figured out how to put up a photo of the Alligator Sauce Piquante. My g/f couldn't put it up there. The funny thing is that she lives in a town called PRATTville. Did I mention that? How funny. She'll be along with me in the time machine. Well, I have a few pics, and it seems that you can only put one up at a time, so forgive me for the several posts to follow. Hell, forgive me for all of my posts previously. I learned to rant from the master, lol. Well, I realize presentation is important, for we eat with our eyes. But what can I say, a styrofoam bowl is fine as long as what's in it is delish! It was served up bubbling, with 'shrooms and rice and that incredible sauce. I really need the recipe. ... oh wait, i see... looks like i can add more pics/attachements...just one at a time. Awesome! ...

Actually I just ran indoors... outside i'm having a bubba-que. Whole chicken, pork chops, green onion sausage, and corn on the cob, still in the wrapper, with the strings removed. Man oh man, WOW, roasted corn smells fantastic.

OK, i'm rambling... more pics and rants to follow soon. Have a great day!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice to see you in good spirits e. Looks like they may be putting the plug in that spill? I hope so. I see now where they want to drill in the Atlantic off Newfoundland. But it's only 1 1/2 miles down!!!!! Only!!! How do you put a plug on that? And they have the temerity to say that they checked all their safety procedures and accident prevention solutions and are convinced that they got all the bad shit covered. Don't you just love the spin......? Take care. Nice pics too.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Thank you, Brutus. Indeed, I'm in better spirits now. I guess that of all the different stages of grief, I am in the acceptance stage. I see that the local govt is doing more than the feds and bp combined, and on a (marsh)-grass-roots level, they have recruited hundreds of fisher, crabber, oyster, and shrimper men to use their boats to lay out the boom. There is also talk of dredging up sand to create a new barrier beyond the shore, which will also help re-buffer the eroding wetlands, our first defense against hurricanes, so it's a two-fold 'solution'. They are also spraying a chemical 'solution' to break down the oil before it gets to the surface, but it is thought to be even more toxic than the oil itself. Prevention is better than cure, bad apples affecting the pure. Talk about a double-edged sword. We need better armor. Every clear day, we get new photos from the satellites watching o'er the spill, and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger! We've got to stem the evil tide, and keep the oil on the inside. It now looks like the spill has spread to west of the Mississippi River's mouths. It now threatens my home away from home, Grand Isle, aka the Cajun Bahamas, the only inhabited barrier island in LA, a seven mile stretch of fishing bliss. One cannot help but catch something to eat there if one wets a line. On several occasions, I have even caught ice-chests full of blue crabs using only a single string, a chicken neck, and a scoop net, right there in the surf. Frolicking with the dolphins only feet away, and also competing for my dinner catch, are the diving brown pelicans, our state bird (no, not the mosquito), which just recently came off of the endangered species list, thanks to a concerted effort to protect them and their breeding grounds on the barrier islands. The area is just teeming with life, and everything must be done to preserve it. Even once, a solitary pink flamingo flew directly overhead, which is quite rare in these parts. Being at Jazzfest, and seeing the plethora of seafood dished served up there, makes it difficult to realize that the variety of food selection may not be there for many years to come. But back to putting a plug in that spill... it seems that the dome lowered over it failed initially due to ice crystals forming and clogging up the pipe leading to the surface. They are trying to fix it as we speak, but the oil is still flowing, every day now, since the very day that I joined this group, on 4/20, which, by the way, was two years to the date that I last saw a certain band play at the hornet's hive, and announcing the donation of 100k to katrina recovery. That's just unbelievably generous! Just before that, my father passed away, and only a few months before that, he had taken a trip to Newfoundland. Being a world traveler, he said that Newfoundland was one of the most beautiful places he has ever visited. It must also be kept pristine. With already 4000 or so oil rigs in the gulf of mexico, I see no reason to put any other natural areas at risk. This dogged rig fire on the Horizon is in 5000 feet of water. The one proposed that you mentioned is even deeper than that at a mile and a half, in even colder waters! Should anything happen, ice crystals will surely form. Let this disaster in the gulf teach us ways to prevent this from happening elsewhere, and how to resolve it swiftly, so that no damage is done to any other ecology or economy. Dependence on foreign oil sucks, but purposefully striving to be an apolitical man, and to save my sanity, let's finish up hitting on a high harmonic note: Food!

Oyster Patties

Ingredients:

*2 dozen fresh Oysters (reserve the liquor)
*24 Pastry Shells
*1/2 cup Crabmeat
*1/2 stick of Butter
*1/2 cup Chicken Broth
*one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
*1/4 cup finely chopped Yellow Onion, Green Onion and Celery (each)
*1/2 tbsp minced Garlic
*one tbsp Flour
*2 tbsp Olive Oil
*sliced Pimento
*grated Parmesan
*seasonings: Salt, Black Pepper, White Pepper, Hot Sauce

In a skillet, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic to sauté. Stir-in the flour. Stir-in the mushroom soup, broth, liquor, crab, and a dash of each seasoning. Simmer for a about 30 minutes. Add a little more liquid if needed, but the sauce has to be thick. Cut heat off and let settle and cool for a bit.
Lay-out your shells on a cooking pan. Place one fat ole oyster in each pastry shell. Dash-on the hot sauce. Spoon the sauce on-top to fill the shell. Top-off each patty with a little cheese and pimento.
Bake 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Remove pan and let the patties settle and cool for a bit.

You may have a little leftover sauce. Perfect with some Ritz crackers or toasted slices of French bread.

Another Jazzfest food and an all-time favourite of mine is Oyster Patties. Traditionally a holiday season appetizer, I usually fill up on these delicacies before even getting to the tryptophan filled bird on Thanksgiving. These bite-sized patty shells are filled with an oyster dressing as an hors d'oeuvre, but at Jazzfest, they use a larger shell to make it meal-sized.

And clean up is easy: just some blue Dawn dishwashing detergent and a wet-vac, something every bar and grill should have in stock.

Enjoy! and Bon Appetit!
05-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Amen bro and thanks for the 'ster recipe...Love 'sters SO much.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
ephilosopher9
my hearts out to yuall. wish i had invented biodiesel, cars that run on photovoltic cells,hybrid vehicles,public transportatlion that is dependple (in kc,ks.it is 2 miles away.) i know walk. trust me i have more than once. anywhoo enough of my rant.
05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I wish I could be down there to join you for the music and the awesome food. I'd like to get out there on the ocean and make something happen, inspire some peoples to get their behinds in gear. This spill thing is so sad. I was in Valdez about 3 months after it happened, and it was horrific. I was also in NO in Feb 06 and saw what Katrina had done. Seems NO can't catch a break these days.

I have visited NO several times and have a great fondness for it. When I was there in 06, we had to stay all the way out in Morgan City because there was no available hotel rooms for us anywhere close to the city (everything was packed with relief workers). Worked out well though because we stumbled into this little bar out there that had an amazing buffet (nothing touristy here, it was definitely locals). We ate there almost everyday because of the oh-so-fresh crab & shrimp that they put out. Vegas buffets had nothing on this place. I wish I could remember the name.

Let's all hope that this oil spill resolves quickly. We can't let BP pull what Exxon did in Valdez, which was shrug off responsibility, tie everything up in court and not pay for the damage they did to both the environment and the people who's lives are still being impacted today.
05-10-2010, 07:54 AM
You are all so nice. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
05-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I must apologize in advance again for this... BUT...

If life is a bowl of cherries... why do I always end up in the pits.

Tar Pits and Mastadon Recipes nothwithstanding...

I hate to be petty, but the waiting is the hardest part.

click >

When Mel Brooks meets Alfred Hitchcock.

It's an OK link above, it's about cooking, eh?
(Although I don't condone that particular network's overall philosophy)

Brigtsen's is an awesome restaurant, btw, if any of you are ePi-curious.

If I were a percussionist's therapist, i'd say that i was 'clanging'.
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
If I were a percussionist's therapist, i'd say that i was 'clanging'.

Someone replied with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2AblgHy1w

Wink i likey Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posting here so as to not mess anyone else's threads up. Speaking of threads, I just bought some t-shirts!

On an unrelated note, my new avatar shows these things that I can Ware, Bubba!

Like shooting fish in a Barrel of Crackers, exploring that olde tyme country store just made me think about getting my kicks on route 66. Laying it on thick, like country gravy on chicken fried steak, I hope these tees fit me like white on rice!

The Olde Country Store at said chain restaurant has so many goofy and ecletic things besides Bubba related t-shirts. The favourite item that I didn't purchase had to be the growing rock structures sold as kids toys of wonder and amazement, akin to Space Monkeys and X-Ray glasses.

Oh, the oil spill is finally here, but I cannot deal with that.

From my end on the 250kb thing, I makey no progress.

Allow me to expand my horizons now, and reply to other patrons of this awesome bar and grill.
05-20-2010, 12:22 AM
(05-19-2010 08:43 PM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  If I were a percussionist's therapist, i'd say that i was 'clanging'.

Someone replied with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2AblgHy1w

Wink i likey Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posting here so as to not mess anyone else's threads up. Speaking of threads, I just bought some t-shirts!

On an unrelated note, my new avatar shows these things that I can Ware, Bubba!

Like shooting fish in a Barrel of Crackers, exploring that olde tyme country store just made me think about getting my kicks on route 66. Laying it on thick, like country gravy on chicken fried steak, I hope these tees fit me like white on rice!

The Olde Country Store at said chain restaurant has so many goofy and ecletic things besides Bubba related t-shirts. The favourite item that I didn't purchase had to be the growing rock structures sold as kids toys of wonder and amazement, akin to Space Monkeys and X-Ray glasses.

Oh, the oil spill is finally here, but I cannot deal with that.

From my end on the 250kb thing, I makey no progress.

Allow me to expand my horizons now, and reply to other patrons of this awesome bar and grill.