Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
anything quiche (clean out the fridge quiche)
04-27-2013, 05:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 05:26 PM by ladykemma2.)
anything quiche (clean out the fridge quiche)
crust
1 cup flour
1/3 cup softened butter
salt
2 tablespoons water

filling
your choice of cheese (feta, pepper jack, Swiss, whatever...) in the bottom of the crust
3 eggs and 1.5 cups of whole milk whipped together, sprinkle with nutmeg.

bake at 350 for almost two hours, check on it after one hour every ten minutes. "done" is browned all the way across the egg mixture.

you can vary anything with this. bacon, diced ham, spinach, clean out the fridge...

i tend to make it vegetarian.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: anything quiche (clean out the fridge quiche)
I just logged into the "Mains" to see if I had posted MY quiche recipe in the past and lo and behold, I see this Thread. So, posting my recipe here is a bit easier than searching (ha ha). Here it is:

QUICHE a la Nung

2 deep dish pie shells (frozen or home-made)
approx. ¾ lb shredded Swiss cheese
approx. ¾ lb shredded Dofino or Havarti cheese
approx. 1 ½ cups crumbled cooked bacon
approx. 1 cup sautéed mushrooms (optional)
approx. ½ cup chopped green onions (scallions)
approx. ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
approx. 2 cups ½ & ½
6 eggs

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Spread a small amount of both cheeses in the bottom of each pie shell. Sprinkle in approx. ½ of the bacon, ½ the scallions and ½ of the red peppers. Layer over that more of the cheeses. Repeat the process to finish up. I try to finish with a thin layer of cheese. Add eggs to the ½ & ½ and beat with a whisk (but not too much). Pour over the cheese so that the liquid comes up almost to the top edge of the pie shell (if you need a bit more liquid just use a bit more ½ & ½). Put both onto a foil covered sheet (they tend to bubble up a bit when cooking). Bake approx. 1 hour to 1 ¼ hours (until medium brown on top). Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing. ENJOY!

Hints: I NEVER measure for this since it is an old favorite and it is hard to mess up! You can adjust a bit to your tastes.

To speed up the cooking process, I usually heat the ½ & ½ on the stove. Do not boil though. Then let it cool a bit before you beat in the eggs. (I usually start the recipe by doing this since it then has time to cool).

You can experiment with different cheeses. Swiss is the classic. I like using two cheeses since you can play with the flavors but the Swiss/Havarti combo is my favorite!

I ALWAYS serve garlic bread with it. A salad and/or veggies complete a nice meal…

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Post Script: I made several this past weekend and enjoyed it just as much as usual!

Darn, I am a GOOD cook!

10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
(10-15-2013 01:53 PM)Nung Wrote:  Darn, I am a GOOD cook!

Love it!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
10-18-2013, 12:28 PM
By the way, the reason I stumbled into quiche making is because when i was a sophomore in college my Wisconsin roommate received a wheel of baby swiss from his parental units; he tossed it to me and said "make a quiche." After following a recipe he tasted it and said "that is NOT a quiche." He then dictated a few key ingredients and I came up with more-or-less the above recipe. I have been riding that train for 35 years now!

10-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Big Grin Wisconsin and Cheese two words that go together quite well.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic