Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
04-29-2010, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 07:00 PM by Nettie.)
Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
I've been looking for a pasty recipe like my mother's, but these darn things all have rutabaga in them.Undecided Yuck! My grandmother would roll over in her grave(my grandfather and several uncles worked in the copper mines in the U.P. of Michigan). And turnips?? never! Maybe some grated carrot if you want, but no other vegetables. If you want a vegetable, put some ketchup on your pasty!

but here's the biggest(and some of the weirdest) listing that I've found:

Pasty recipes

"A word of caution to beginners, however: Never eat two at one sitting. You may not be able to stand when done pasties are that filling."(from the website)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
RE: Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
Hmm, we lived in the UP for awhile and know the areas and go up there quite a bit (friends live there and a daughter @ NMU). I'm surprised about the no rutabaga thing (sorry our crew likes them) we've always seen them with or with out version , but no carrots or turnips. In the Marquette area you can get the Italian influence with cudghi(sp?) meat in them.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-29-2010, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 09:02 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
he takes a 2beer 2smoke walk...and he don't like to talk...
and he don't like the change he didn't vote for in the first place
funny that the purple heart plant's name has been changed from wandering jew, or the snake plant is now some macqueshoefly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2010, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2010 04:59 PM by Nettie.)
(04-29-2010 08:58 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Hmm, we lived in the UP for awhile and know the areas and go up there quite a bit (friends live there and a daughter @ NMU). I'm surprised about the no rutabaga thing (sorry our crew likes them) we've always seen them with or with out version , but no carrots or turnips. In the Marquette area you can get the Italian influence with cudghi(sp?) meat in them.

My family is from the western end, around Ironwood, which probably accounts for the variation in ingredients. I've only had the potato/onion/meat version. My mom sometimes added shredded carrot just for our family(and so did the pasty shop that I worked at here in Wisconsin), but when the extended family got together, it was strictly the official family version: a combination of pork sausage and ground beef, potatoes, onions, salt and pepper. Nothing else.

05-01-2010, 08:04 AM
My husband loves these. I should surprise him and make them. I am sure my kids would love them, too.
05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
(05-01-2010 08:04 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  My husband loves these. I should surprise him and make them. I am sure my kids would love them, too.

Have you ever made them before? If not, may I suggest a short cut for the first time? Use Pillsbury refridgerated pie crust(or the store brand), roll it so it's a little thinner than it comes in the box, and cut off about 1/3 of the dough. Then put the 2 pieces you cut off together in a ball and roll out for the 3rd pasty. You'l get 3 pasties to a box instead of 2. We do this because the crust gets too thick on the pasties if you use a whole sheet for each one. I was working on the assembly line for our Christmas pasty making, peeling potatoes, onions, and rolling out dough. Yeah, we had pasties for Christmas dinner. Everyone was thrilled!

You can fuss with the pie dough the second time. Getting the filling right is key to the taste, so work on that first.

05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a recipe for making Mini-Pasties and you use the Pillsbury Crescent dough and "cheat" with canned potatoes, ground chuck and a packet of Lipton's (dry) Onion Soup Mix.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
(04-29-2010 06:54 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I've been looking for a pasty recipe like my mother's, but these darn things all have rutabaga in them.Undecided Yuck! My grandmother would roll over in her grave(my grandfather and several uncles worked in the copper mines in the U.P. of Michigan). And turnips?? never! Maybe some grated carrot if you want, but no other vegetables. If you want a vegetable, put some ketchup on your pasty!

but here's the biggest(and some of the weirdest) listing that I've found:

Pasty recipes

"A word of caution to beginners, however: Never eat two at one sitting. You may not be able to stand when done pasties are that filling."(from the website)

awesome list - my mom always makes them with rutabaga. I make them with my credit card and either buy them at http://www.pasty.com or pick up cornish ones locally at http://www.australianbakerycafe.com. Pathetic, I know, but mom would spend hours on the crust - we'd only have them about once a year, they were so time consuming to make.
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
the best part about michigan is that one can see Canada fron there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Actually the best part of Michigan is the Porcupine Mountains, especially Lake of the Clouds!