Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
05-28-2010, 12:30 PM
RE: Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
Beautiful place "The Porkies". Anywhere along the Lake's shore line are wonderful places to be .

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2010 11:23 PM by Nettie.)
(05-28-2010 12:30 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Beautiful place "The Porkies". Anywhere along the Lake's shore line are wonderful places to be .

When we visited up North when we were kids, we made pasties one day, and had a picnic up near Lake of the Clouds the next day. But you are right, anywhere along the lake is beautiful.

05-31-2010, 09:16 AM
(05-26-2010 10:01 AM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  the best part about michigan is that one can see Canada fron there.

I like to look at Michigan (Detroit) from the Windsor side of the river - much cleaner and safer Wink
07-20-2010, 03:42 AM
(05-01-2010 08:57 AM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(05-01-2010 08:04 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  My husband loves these. I should surprise him and make them. I am sure my kids would love them, too.

Have you ever made them before? If not, may I suggest a short cut for the first time? Use Pillsbury refridgerated pie crust(or the store brand), roll it so it's a little thinner than it comes in the box, and cut off about 1/3 of the dough. Then put the 2 pieces you cut off together in a ball and roll out for the 3rd pasty. You'l get 3 pasties to a box instead of 2. We do this because the crust gets too thick on the pasties if you use a whole sheet for each one. I was working on the assembly line for our Christmas pasty making, peeling potatoes, onions, and rolling out dough. Yeah, we had pasties for Christmas dinner. Everyone was thrilled!

You can fuss with the pie dough the second time. Getting the filling right is key to the taste, so work on that first.

I haven't had a chance to try these yet, but homemade crusts are the way to go for me. I have worked with pastas and pierogis before, I think I could do this Smile
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
By request:
This is close to my mother's recipe, except that she shreds the carrots,doesn't put butter in the filling, and uses store bought crust now.Pasty recipes

02-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Thank you Nettie, It's Mamma Bears' b-day on sat. so I'm gonna get her some lobster and make a big deal over her, but I hope to try these out next weekend.
They look delicious.... BTW I hereby bow out of the Rutabega controversy,
I'll try them both ways... I'm nothing if not easy!Smile
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Here is another Desertbear..
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1618,140...94,00.html

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you 2b I really am stoked to try these!
02-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Cornish pasties are the best! I was lucky to have the real deal on a regular basis when I lived in Tintagel (county Cornwall), England many moons ago. Often the meat was superduper fresh, since the shop[pe] that sold them was connected to the local butcher.... I don't think I've ever tried making them, but these recipes sound too yummy to pass up! Thanks for sharing!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
My Irish neighbor made these for us once, but she didn't have a specific name for them. She said in Ireland, the pastry came to a thick seam at the top to use as a handle. The coal miners would take these for lunch in the mines. Since their hands were dirty, they would hold the "handle" and eat around it. The "handle" got thrown to the birds when they came out of the mines each day. And along with meat, gravy(not too much), and other veggies, she put rutabagas in them.....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...