Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
RE: Michigan U.P. Pasty recipes
(02-04-2012 12:38 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  My Irish neighbor made these for us once, but she didn't have a specific name for them. She said in Ireland, the pastry came to a thick seam at the top to use as a handle. The coal miners would take these for lunch in the mines. Since their hands were dirty, they would hold the "handle" and eat around it. The "handle" got thrown to the birds when they came out of the mines each day. And along with meat, gravy(not too much), and other veggies, she put rutabagas in them.....

In other places, they are known as meat pies, and yes, the miners put gravy in their meat pies. My mom's theory is that the wife chopped up whatever was left from dinner to make the meat pie, hence the variety of versions of pasties. It depends on where you lived, what was available, and what you could afford.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2012, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 07:32 PM by Azooper.)
I made pasties last week. I use the Pillsbury pie crust also. I cut them in half and roll them out. I only put cubed potatos and an onion and a half and I mix ground pork and ground beef together. My last batch I forgot to salt and pepper so I had to add it on top of the filling. They still turned out great. I gave one to my brother and he loved it. I have a restaurant close to me called Codfathers they had a Cornish pasty that was mostly breaded crust and to me that just isnt a real pasty.
09-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Bumping this up for debskis

06-14-2015, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 10:31 PM by Wildcat.)
(04-29-2010 06:54 PM)Nettie Wrote:  I've been looking for a pasty recipe like my mother's, but these darn things all have rutabaga in them.Undecided Yuck! My grandmother would roll over in her grave(my grandfather and several uncles worked in the copper mines in the U.P. of Michigan). And turnips?? never! Maybe some grated carrot if you want, but no other vegetables. If you want a vegetable, put some ketchup on your pasty!

Do you live in Michigan, or just have (or had) family here?

It's amusing how, when you get over the Mackinac Bridge, so much changes, and you see pasties advertised at every turn. Wink With my ex, we had attended a family reunion up at the state park in Calumet, and the few relatives that lived up that way (or were from across the border in Canada) brought pasties with them to the picnic.

I've actually never had one. I might have to break down and try one, next time I go up that way. Cool

- Rudy -
06-16-2015, 05:18 PM
I have family there.
And you really should try one!

06-16-2015, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2015 08:01 PM by 2Beers.)
Wildcat, there are many variations to what filling goodies can be in a pasty. Nettie and I go round and round Smile. I say rutabaga is a must and she says "nope" and her family likes to add carrots. If should you be in the Marquette area cudighi meat can be a choice to have in them. However you have them all is good.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
06-16-2015, 10:07 PM
That sounds like a plan! I was up there a couple of years ago (Sault Ste. Marie, over the 4th of July), but may head back this summer or next.

- Rudy -