Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Barbecuing corn
07-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Barbecuing corn
What's a sure-fire way (pun intended, obviously) to barbecue corn? Some have suggested to put the cob with the husk in water overnight, then just put the whole thing on the barbecue for maybe 4 or 5 minutes, turning every minute or so. Other suggest to boil them up first, then throw them on the grill only for a few minutes, rotating them regularly.

I've tried both but the results have been disappointing.

If you've had any luck barbecuing corn, what's a suggestion to get the cobs nicely cooked without burning the bejeezuz out of them?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Barbecuing corn
We've always pulled the husk back--but don't remove it. Take out all the silk. Pull the husk back up around the corn. Wrap it in foil, and BBQ for maybe 15 minutes (but not on a high heat), turning frequently. When it's cooked, pull the husk back for a handle, slather in butter, lime juice, and pico de gallo and FEAST! Tongue

Now I want to eat BBQ'd corn!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I've done it a few different ways. I generally prefer taking the husk and silk off, then wrapping it in foil.
Onto grill for a few minutes a side.
An option is to put butter on before cooking. My faviorite variation is to melt butter, mix in some seasoning - there is a spicy garlic concoction that a local guy makes (Dr Gonzo's Condiment's - look them up - they ship) or just used crushed garlic and a bit of spice of your choice, then add in a bit of parmesan cheese. Brush this onto the corn then wrap in foil etc.
Damn tasty if I say so myself.
07-13-2013, 09:49 AM
We do the soaking method: soak the corn,husk and all in very salty water
For 2 to 3 hours, then grill it. The husk will burn a bit, but not the cob.

07-13-2013, 12:21 PM
We do the same as Nettie, but remove the silk before grilling. We melt our butter and keep it warm/hot in a slow cooker. Oh and we grill ours over a fire and not a gas grill.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
OHR I have the best luck soaking the corn in salt water (1 cup salt to 1 Gal water) for an hour before....fire up the grill and roast them in the husks over a medium grill turning frequently. Heres the catch....don't be afraid to let it roast up, the husks will turn black around the edges but better that then the corn. About 10-12 mins on a hot grill. The bottom line is that you need great corn. When you buy it check these few things...smell it...does it smell like that sweet corn you love so well? Check the color. Is it a nice peaches and cream color and third and most important are the kernels consistent throughout and are they uniform in size....if they are too big they will be tough or bitter, same if they are inconsistent in size. Early on in the year the corn is coming from who-knows-where and is usually bitter and tough. But later on after the 4th it really starts to sweeten up. Depending on the growing season throughout the states. We (Michiganders) get the good stuff by August. Hope that helps. Big Grin

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
07-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Take the husk and silk off then brush on the olive oil with salt and pepper. I place them on the top rack while the meat is cooking to collect the smoke for about 10 minutes. After the meat is done place on the bottom rack for about 5 -7 minutes. But turn them often. It puts a nice char on the corn.
07-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Great ideas, all! Thank you! Will try some on the weekend.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Sure it is Thanksgiving (have a happy one, by the way!) but I just saw this thread. I pull the husks back and remove the silk. I spray with a pam-like product. Are you ready? Apply grated parmesan, black pepper, garlic powder and anything else that makes it even more decadent! And grill those suckers.
12-26-2013, 08:07 AM
(07-12-2013 05:30 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  We've always pulled the husk back--but don't remove it. Take out all the silk. Pull the husk back up around the corn. Wrap it in foil, and BBQ for maybe 15 minutes (but not on a high heat), turning frequently. When it's cooked, pull the husk back for a handle, slather in butter, lime juice, and pico de gallo and FEAST! Tongue

Now I want to eat BBQ'd corn!

This is THE way, the truth, an da life! Awesome!