Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raise your glass!
08-18-2013, 11:34 AM
RE: Raise your glass!
I dunno - protecting the whisky must come first - IMHO.

THEN DINNER!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I have this little crystal cordial glass that I swear makes those flavorful cordials even better. It just feels more classy. In my humble opinion a chap who drives a BMW bike and is cultured in foods and beverages should pack a proper Macallan glass!

What the heck do I know anyway?!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-18-2013, 05:22 PM
(08-18-2013 03:27 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I have this little crystal cordial glass that I swear makes those flavorful cordials even better. It just feels more classy. In my humble opinion a chap who drives a BMW bike and is cultured in foods and beverages should pack a proper Macallan glass!

What the heck do I know anyway?!!!

I can say it is a Royal P.I.T.A. to transport those glasses. The amount of packing l used made for a bulky package. This made it necessary for it to be transported in the wife's Jeep. I would guess as space is a limited commodity, even in his large cases, it is a luxury that must be left out.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
08-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I have special glasses to pour a pint. But last week at the beach week the red solo cups worked very well.
08-19-2013, 09:16 AM
(08-18-2013 11:34 AM)Boomer Wrote:  I dunno - protecting the whisky must come first - IMHO.

THEN DINNER!

Big Grin

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
One of example of my quest for the right glass involved a wonderful but short-lived product. It was called "Petit Liqueur" and was made by Moet & Chandon. It was a sparkling, champagne-based liqueur that came in cute, 187 ml bottles. Its release coincided with the opening of a wine store that I managed. We loved the product and encouraged its sales. We sold tons of the stuff and generally served it in champagne flutes but I wanted a miniature flute. I couldn't find one but eventually a manufacturer of a different cordial was giving away twin packs of the perfect glass...it looked like a mini flute. I ordered several but eventually the Moet product was discontinued; I still have the glasses though!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
08-23-2013, 09:55 PM
I'll say that I'm not much of a whiskey drinker - a splash of bourbon now and again is about the limit - but I drink wine and beer relatively copiously. I will say that having the proper glassware does indeed make a difference.
Taking about beer, having a snifter or tulip glass is far different than drinking from a 'shaker pint' - those ubiquitious glasses that most bars use.
For most beers I drink (a lot of IPAs and stouts) Ihave been using a tulip style glass I accumulated somewhere. Like the glasses you are talking about, it does hold in the aromas and concentrates them around the nose as you go to take a sip. I have accumulated dozens and dozens of glasses over the years of 'fests and tastings, most of them those shaker pints, but I have a pretty healthy selection of tulips, snifters, pilsners, chalises and other assorted drinkware. Not to mention wine glasses, mostly red-style, but some of the generic tasting style ones.
08-26-2013, 09:50 AM
(08-23-2013 09:55 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  I'll say that I'm not much of a whiskey drinker - a splash of bourbon now and again is about the limit - but I drink wine and beer relatively copiously. I will say that having the proper glassware does indeed make a difference.
Taking about beer, having a snifter or tulip glass is far different than drinking from a 'shaker pint' - those ubiquitious glasses that most bars use.
For most beers I drink (a lot of IPAs and stouts) Ihave been using a tulip style glass I accumulated somewhere. Like the glasses you are talking about, it does hold in the aromas and concentrates them around the nose as you go to take a sip. I have accumulated dozens and dozens of glasses over the years of 'fests and tastings, most of them those shaker pints, but I have a pretty healthy selection of tulips, snifters, pilsners, chalises and other assorted drinkware. Not to mention wine glasses, mostly red-style, but some of the generic tasting style ones.

Great point! There is an astounding variety of beer glasses. Which styles of beer, ale, etc. most benefit from a specialized glass?

I have the Sam Adams glasses and like their performance with their brews.

08-26-2013, 08:24 PM
(08-26-2013 09:50 AM)Nung Wrote:  Great point! There is an astounding variety of beer glasses. Which styles of beer, ale, etc. most benefit from a specialized glass?

I have the Sam Adams glasses and like their performance with their brews.

No kidding, It seems like there are new glasses coming out all the time. I gather that the Sam Adams (Perfect Pint) and the new one developed by Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada brewing are becoming the go-to for IPAs, though I personally have not tried those.
Snifters tend to be best for high-test styles like Imperial Stouts and Barleywines, Tulips and chalises for Belgian styles.
Nonic or imperial pints for regular stouts, porters and English styles, pilsners for lighter styles and hefeweizens.
Theoretically, each style will be at its best in certain styles, either by concentrating flavors and aromas or allowing them out, with wider or narrower openings, some do well with stems to isolate the heat from your hand from the beer, others with bowls that allow the heat to warm the beer slightly.... it's enough to send one screaming out into the night, trying to decide what glass, after spending all that time deciding on the beer.
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Great post Jr!
Thanks!