Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kitchen Disasters!!
09-29-2013, 06:11 PM
RE: Kitchen Disasters!!
Yep, turns his nose up at salmon or tuna, but oh my have some toast, or pancakes, or donuts or any carb based item and he's all over you.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Not a big commercial pizza fan, at all. Most of the processed ingredients in the crust are mined from the earth rather than grown in it. And don't even get me started on the "cheeze". But the kiddos love it, and although I've talked myself blue in the face explaining my feelings on the subject it's been to no avail.

Soooooo....I'm heating up some of that vile(imo of course) stuff in the convection oven for em a couple nights ago while simultaneously fielding problem phone calls from the office. You guessed it...burned that stuff to high heaven.

Didn't know whether to hang my head in shame, or giggle uncontrollably at the divine providence of it all.Angel

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
11-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I was excited to cook for mom and my nuclear fam on Sunday. I used the microwave instructions for a box of instant scalloped potatoes. I followed the directions exactly! The whole thing bubbled over in the nuker and made a huge liquid cheese mess! Ugh!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 03:31 PM
This was a new to me, kinda spur of the moment deal. Poached egg(at least I freakin' got that right thx to the guy who hits stuff lol), with homemade hashbrowns served in a bacon bowl.

Technique FAIL. My bacon braiding needs some serious work.
[Image: food163_zps3a58b088.jpg]

Presentation FAIL. Ever see "Alien"???Rolleyes
[Image: food162_zps6eeb831e.jpg]

Can one fail hard and still produce a palatable dish. Ohhhhh yes indeed! It was absolutely scrumptious...I just gotta work on the the details a bit.Angel

01-05-2014, 06:18 PM
(01-03-2014 03:31 PM)Sunset Wrote:  This was a new to me, kinda spur of the moment deal. Poached egg(at least I freakin' got that right thx to the guy who hits stuff lol), with homemade hashbrowns served in a bacon bowl.

Technique FAIL. My bacon braiding needs some serious work.
[Image: food163_zps3a58b088.jpg]

Presentation FAIL. Ever see "Alien"???Rolleyes
[Image: food162_zps6eeb831e.jpg]

Can one fail hard and still produce a palatable dish. Ohhhhh yes indeed! It was absolutely scrumptious...I just gotta work on the the details a bit.Angel

Looks like something one might crave after a night of bar-hopping, Sunset!!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
01-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah, we'll call it "The Facesucker". We'll be RICH I tellya....RIIIIIIIIICH!!!Big Grin

01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
BACON....I smell BACON!!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2014, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 01:06 PM by Sunset.)
I was grilling a few steaks, scallions, baby egg plant and a couple bacon dogs for the kiddos the other day. Had a few leftovers and threw this together thinking the sweetness of the caramelized onion, the creaminess of the egg plant, and the bacony goodness of the dog would pair well.

lol...FAIL!

[Image: food242_zps53acc966.jpg]

I was justifiably excoriated with calls of "Hey, dad's serving Shai-Hulud!" And the clever "On Arrakis, you don't serve Shai-Hulud...Shai-Hulud serves YOU!!!"

06-04-2014, 05:27 AM
When I was 4, I got chicken pox (yes, I'm THAT old) right after Thanksgiving. My older brother explained that chicken pox is a curse from eating turkey. I did not eat turkey again until I was 18, because I believed him. Turkey is delicious! I missed out on 14 years of turkey because of my brother!!

I'm still a little angry about that one, and it's been a long time.
06-12-2014, 04:51 PM
A kitchen not-so-disaster: My husband and I often pour the almond milk we use for jar oats into the regular milk jug if we have a lot leftover and it's about to go bad. Today, I grabbed the milk for the bechamel base that I use for macaroni and cheese. After about 5 minutes, the bechamel is usually thick enough to add the cheese, but today it wasn't. Then I remembered: D'OH! This is probably about 1/2 almond milk.

So, I just get boiling and stirring, hoping that something would happen, and it finally did! Took about twice as long, but I finally got some thickening and was able to move along in the process. The sauce was pretty frigging awesome tonight, but I think that was due to the sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. And of course freshly grated nutmeg, my signature ingredient. Yummo!