Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
At The One Lane Bridge...
12-17-2017, 12:17 PM
RE: At The One Lane Bridge...
Sunset, did you get to Beartooth? That was the highlight of my summer adventure: shipped the bike to Spokane and rode back to PA. Also rode Lochsa Pass on the way out of Spokane, another awesome section of scenic byway.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Those covered bridges you post sure are cool. We don't have anything like that in my area of operations, mostly just soulless utilitarian structures. But your area in general and covered bridges specifically are def on my radar just like Beartooth was.

(12-17-2017 12:17 PM)slayman Wrote:  Sunset, did you get to Beartooth? That was the highlight of my summer adventure: shipped the bike to Spokane and rode back to PA. Also rode Lochsa Pass on the way out of Spokane, another awesome section of scenic byway.

Yessir! Along with a host of other nifty roads&routes NV, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY in 9 days. Did the Beartooth/Chief Joseph loop both CW and CCW. What a hoot!

Near the Beartooth summit.

[Image: IMG_4084.jpg]

20mi outside Cody in a rainstorm with Beartooth in the background.

[Image: IMG_4082.jpg]

Tetons.

[Image: IMG_4094.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
12-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Track me down if you get in my neck of the woods. We could do a full day or two of covered bridge touring. The local DOT is doing its part to remove all "unsafe" one lane bridges around here, although they haven't gone after the covered bridges, so far. Truck drivers glued to their GPS usually damage one or two a year.
Great photos. Did you post a ride report anywhere?
2019 may be my next ship/fly/ride. Starting in Flagstaff and heading north ish, before turning east.
12-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Roger that, thanks for the offer. I've not written up a proper ride report in some time. I dunno, just haven't felt the urge for some reason? Mebbe I'll tell you the tale over a couple beers when I make it out your way. Hope your 2019 adventure works out well. Flagstaff around the surrounding environs are just fantastic!

Summer of 2019 will be a big step for me. +/- 23 day ride through BC, Yukon Territories, Denali, then up the Dalton hwy to Prudhoe Bay followed by a mad dash home. How the heck does one train for 23 days in the saddle?

12-20-2017, 10:07 AM
WOW, that is some fantastic scenery. In all my travels around this land I am still constantly reminded of all I have NOT seen. I especially like that pic of the Tetons.
I have been thinking lately that the sort of "touring" I ought to be doing is in a large van or a small RV with my bike in a small trailer on the back. That way I could take my dogs along and when I get to a fabulous spot for biking I could park it for a few days and explore around on the bike. There is so much I still want to see...this may sound silly but I miss my dogs terribly if they are not with me so I have cut back on taking trips w/out them. Smile
Thanks a lot for sharing! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!
We always say "Keep the shiny side up!" Be safe out there. Peace.
12-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Doesn't sound silly at all. Our furbutts are definitely part of the family and our lives would be diminished without them. Plus, as a massive fringe benefit, you'd be sleeping in your own bed every night. I don't sleep on the ground unless absolutely necessary during my moto travels, and springing for a room every night gets pretty spendy. Don't even wanna talk about the nasty flops I've stayed in while tryna save a buck. Nothing like breaking out the sleeping bag because an overactive imagination has me stressing about all the unsavory **** that has gone down in that room and on that mattress.Confused

12-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Heh heh, yeah I hear you about the "sleeping in your own bed" part.
That is a fine looking machine you have there. I have had an assortment of Japanese bikes over the years and this is my third Harley I'm on now...and I believe I have decided this will be my last Harley. They can be an OK bike depending on what you are looking to do but I am just tired of the old V-Twin technology. It was fun to putt around on a Harley for oh the last 8 or 10 years I guess.....but I am planning on taking that next big step now and getting a German engineered bike, a BMW. Mostly because of all I have read about them in Roadshow, Ghost Rider, and now Far & Wide. Amazing machines. I can see that yours is a GS, and that may be what I get. Most likely. I am not on the road for weeks at a time but I still like to have the luggage capability and long range comfort. I am looking forward to test riding a couple later this summer.
I am fortunate to have a BMW dealer just about 15 minutes from my house so it will be very convenient for servicing etc, but it is a very small dealership so they do not have a huge inventory.
You are a serious rider, let me ask your opinion and advice because I may not be able to test all the models at this small dealership:
Other than the GS, do you have another "favorite" BMW? Has the GS been about the most comfortable, in your opinion? As I said I do like the luggage capability and long range comfort...in your opinion is the GS about the premium BMW bike that you've had?
I would appreciate any input you could give me whenever you have time, if you would be so kind. Summer is a ways off so there is certainly no hurry. Just looking for different opinions from some experienced BMW riders.
Thank you again Sunset, and again happy Holidays to you.
Peace.
12-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Before I answer your question, a little disclaimer. I might not be the most qualified person on this board to talk about sport touring. I've been riding 42 contiguous years, but only the last seven have been ST. From 1998 through 2010 I was on race tracks strictly and didn't even own a street legal bike. From 1985 through 1997 I was on Japanese sport bikes using public roads as my personal race tracks and riding like an imbecile. 1975 through 1984 was strictly dirt bikes.

That said...
The water cooled GS is a brilliant machine. I put close to 20k trouble free miles on my 2016 the first year. The rake/trail #'s are absolutely perfect and contribute to the bike's excellent pavement manners. It does a fine job on intermediate difficulty dirt sections as well, though heaving the big girl around serious single-track trails, chutes, and/or hill climbs can be a challenge. Looking at the bike, it doesn't seem like a good choice for all day touring, but it's upright riding position/generous leg room/decent wind protection make it the perfect weapon to gobble up miles for me. On the Beartooth ride I did 1026mi in 14hrs without crippling myself. The only minor gripefor me is the less than optimal fuel range(250mi).

Prior to the GS I put about 50kmi on a 2005 r1200rt, which is also a fine bike and well suited to long days in the saddle. It has better wind protection and longer fuel range(320mi), but for me it ultimately fell short of the fun factor and brilliance of the GS.

In addition to the GS and RT, you might think about test riding the Yami FJR and Honda ST. Also the KTM super adventure "S" or "R" might also be a good choice.

G'luck!

12-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Sunset:
Thank you for taking a few minutes to answer my post, I appreciate that.
Some of the Yammerhammers, Hondas etc. are great bikes, no doubt.
I have had a few of them over the years...when I was a younger man, and I have not ruled anything out.
But I do believe I need to try out a BMW, all I read and hear about the German engineering has me thinking that I just need to see for myself. And in all probability that is what I will be doing later this summer.
Again: I do appreciate the responses and I will take all of what you said into consideration.
Happy New Year to you & yours, and thank you again.
-Riley