Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hand/Finger protector?
10-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Hand/Finger protector?
So, having cut my finger yet again (cutting fruit) I am actually considering a metal mesh finger cover or a mesh glove. Anyone use either device? Pros and cons? I know that proper knife use is the most important element here but I am actually reasonably well trained and I still cut myself with some of the more difficult fruits and veggies.

Thanks in advance!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 01:29 PM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Hand/Finger protector?
Rapidly, I must answer that a glove that is ''anti-cut'' such as a type that you would use with a mandolin or a very sharp grater would be perfect. Example is; made by Microplane, Cut Resistant Glove at 15$ or 20$. Or I would say that anywhere that sell mandolins would have these types and I do know that there are many different makes. The metal types are good but heavy and typicaly expensive. If you do get one, make sure you get it with the very fine mesh and made out of series 300 stainless steel... such as 304, 310 or 316. 316 is soft... so if you become a little over-dependant on this and you slice hard and strong... it could go through!! DO NOT get aluminium, this is very soft or carbon steel as this will rust without the proper maintenance. Also, you could get the industrial types of gloves that do sell by the pair and are anti-cut, but they do have different types or grades. Ask to make sure you get a proper type. These could do and the price will be a little cheaper. And remember, these do prevent cuts... BUT, you still have to be careful.

J
11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
(11-04-2013 01:24 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Rapidly, I must answer that a glove that is ''anti-cut'' such as a type that you would use with a mandolin or a very sharp grater would be perfect. Example is; made by Microplane, Cut Resistant Glove at 15$ or 20$. Or I would say that anywhere that sell mandolins would have these types and I do know that there are many different makes. The metal types are good but heavy and typicaly expensive. If you do get one, make sure you get it with the very fine mesh and made out of series 300 stainless steel... such as 304, 310 or 316. 316 is soft... so if you become a little over-dependant on this and you slice hard and strong... it could go through!! DO NOT get aluminium, this is very soft or carbon steel as this will rust without the proper maintenance. Also, you could get the industrial types of gloves that do sell by the pair and are anti-cut, but they do have different types or grades. Ask to make sure you get a proper type. These could do and the price will be a little cheaper. And remember, these do prevent cuts... BUT, you still have to be careful.

J

Thanks for the great detail, LTC! I'll research all these options.

11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I just received as a gift a cut resistant glove by Microplane. I'll give it a try.

11-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Nung, It is a good tool, but again, always use it as if you were not wearing one. They do protect but they are not made of 1 inch steel...
You will like it, I am sure.
11-08-2013, 01:59 PM
(11-08-2013 08:11 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Nung, It is a good tool, but again, always use it as if you were not wearing one. They do protect but they are not made of 1 inch steel...
You will like it, I am sure.

Thank you!
I used it this morning and I was attentive to the fact that I could not just flail away with the knife. It seems to work best as a visual reminder for being careful.

11-08-2013, 02:31 PM
But again, dont get me wrong, it does work.