Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotch and food pairings?
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Scotch and food pairings?
I am sure that many of us like to taste the delicious, golden liquid from Scotland. (I particularly like the 10-year old from The Macallan--I actually prefer it to the 12-year old...)
Naturally, many of us will pair scotch with a fine cigar but here are more possibilities out there. Who has some good food pairing suggestions for Scotch? What goes well with a wee dram of that delightful beverage? And please state what style of scotch you are pairing up because as you probably know, there are multiple styles from very accessible to big and peaty.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
RE: Scotch and food pairings?
(04-30-2010 12:57 PM)Nung Wrote:  I am sure that many of us like to taste the delicious, golden liquid from Scotland. (I particularly like the 10-year old from The Macallan--I actually prefer it to the 12-year old...)
Naturally, many of us will pair scotch with a fine cigar but here are more possibilities out there. Who has some good food pairing suggestions for Scotch? What goes well with a wee dram of that delightful beverage? And please state what style of scotch you are pairing up because as you probably know, there are multiple styles from very accessible to big and peaty.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Ok, I am also a big fan of the single malt highland whiskey, I know N.P. prefers The Macallan, however I prefer 10 years single Glenmorangie for the money its a great spirit. I prefer scotch neat with a side of ice water, as far as a food pairing, I enjoy scotch with big flavors not spicy, planked salamon, any steak with the exception of filet, BBQ pork, ribs chops, to me that works well. Flavors that are not as strong, mild fish, chicken, cannot compete with the smoky undertones of the malt. I dont want to sound cheap but my favorite cigar with scotch is Hoyo De Monterrey, its like coffee and chocolate, about $4.00 a pop. I hope this helps, please feel free to send back any new tips, I am always interested.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Personally I don't fancy scotch with food simply because, as dw2112 says, a rich and complex scotch overwhelms pretty much any food choice.

That said, if I had to suggest a pairing, I'd probably go with a milder scotch such as, say, Dalwhinnie with a hearty med-rare beef roast.
[Image: dalwhinnie.jpg]

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Great thoughts so far! Thank you! I agree that the strong elements of scotch could overwhelm certain foods. Has anyone matched scotch with desserts?

Oh, and I like Padron cigars especially...a wonderful medium cigar!
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2010 03:14 PM by dw2112.)
(04-30-2010 01:52 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  Personally I don't fancy scotch with food simply because, as dw2112 says, a rich and complex scotch overwhelms pretty much any food choice.

That said, if I had to suggest a pairing, I'd probably go with a milder scotch such as, say, Dalwhinnie with a hearty med-rare beef roast.

I have never tried Dalwhinnie, that is what tomorrow is for thanks for the tip, enjoy.
(04-30-2010 02:01 PM)Nung Wrote:  Great thoughts so far! Thank you! I agree that the strong elements of scotch could overwhelm certain foods. Has anyone matched scotch with desserts?

I never had a Padron cigar, I will now with the new scotch I just learned about from old honda rider, thanks.

04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
(04-30-2010 03:12 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 01:52 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  Personally I don't fancy scotch with food simply because, as dw2112 says, a rich and complex scotch overwhelms pretty much any food choice.

I have never tried Dalwhinnie, that is what tomorrow is for thanks for the tip, enjoy.
(04-30-2010 02:01 PM)Nung Wrote:  Great thoughts so far! Thank you! I agree that the strong elements of scotch could overwhelm certain foods. Has anyone matched scotch with desserts?

I never had a Padron cigar, I will now with the new scotch I just learned about from old honda rider, thanks.

I think you'll like a Padron. They have a delighful nutty flavor that doesn't get too strong. (And fine taste in drums there DW! I have a LARGE Pearl Masters set in birch myself but I think my next set would have to be a DW.)

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
(04-30-2010 03:21 PM)Nung Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 03:12 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  

I think you'll like a Padron. They have a delighful nutty flavor that doesn't get too strong. (And fine taste in drums there DW! I have a LARGE Pearl Masters set in birch myself but I think my next set would have to be a DW.)

Thanks for that, my next cigar will have to be a Padron. My son is the drummer and I am the "Gump" (drum tech) but I could not be happier with the sound and overall quality of dw, it was a great investment. A Pearl Master is also a great kit, keep the tips comming and rock on.

05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
If you're going to pair single malts with dessert, I'd suggest something buttery, with a nice brown/slightly burnt crust-an apple or pear tart tatin would do nicely, although I admit to pairing these desserts with a single cask bourbon, such as Basil Hayden or Pappy Van Winkle, and preferred it.

05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Excellent suggestions. I agree that the buttery element and the toasty/browned component would be necessary to hold up to and harmonize with Scotch. Good work!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Only extremely sweet or rich desserts here. I don't think it pairs well with food. I love Scotch, but to enjoy by itself, neat, of course. I'm an avid cigar smoker too, and yes, with those too.