Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotch and food pairings?
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
RE: Scotch and food pairings?
(05-11-2010 10:10 PM)fenderjazz Wrote:  Only extremely sweet or rich desserts here. I don't think it pairs well with food. I love Scotch, but to enjoy by itself, neat, of course. I'm an avid cigar smoker too, and yes, with those too.

I agree that it is a much tougher task to pair scotch with dessert than most wines or spirits. The ultimate pairing is with that cigar you mention but your Forum name reminds me that scotch goes very well with one's electric bass. I would pair a nice 10 year old Macallan with a Warwick fretless. The wenge wood contrasts nicely with the peat of the Scotch!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2010, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2010 01:36 PM by NWoBHM.)
I could never imagine drinking Scotch with a meal, or as an aperitif - I Like one every now and again to round an evening off, ideally on a stormy Winters night in Dartmouth, at the Royal Castle, and usually a Talisker.......
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2010, 10:07 AM
At first I thought, "Dartmouth, Nova Scotia? They have a castle?" Then I got it. The only thing I could add to your stormy winter's night scenario would to set it in Carbost on the Isle of Skye, and a wee lass with which to share it. Slainte!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
07-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:At first I thought, "Dartmouth, Nova Scotia? They have a castle?" Then I got it. The only thing I could add to your stormy winter's night scenario would to set it in Carbost on the Isle of Skye, and a wee lass with which to share it. Slainte!

Hi Brutus,

Yes Dartmouth in Devon.......home of the Royal Naval College.

I have never been to the Hebrides......but would love to go there.......the views look spectacular....and every time I see them, (like a recent UK TV programme) I watch and my blood pressure just falls away.........a scotch........a peat fire.......a thatched long house...........and the missus.....(oh OK and the kids).......great!!
07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
To think that every castle made a good extreme. I am delightful to taste a wine with, I'm having a dinner. The pairing suggestion might be good if people could satisfy to that serving of food combination.
08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Had it not been for N.P., I'd still be of the opinion that Scoth (Johnny Walker Red Label...my father preference) was for those who loved the taste of cardboard. Since discovering The Macallan !2 in 2003, I have since come to admire a few more...but always come back to my Macallan. Here are a couple of recent discoveries and come close to reminding me of The Macallan:

The Glenmorangie Lasanta - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7067.aspx

The Balvenie - http://www.thebalvenie.com/en/ourRange_c...nature.php

These are some of my most recent favs!

Enjoy!
08-31-2010, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2010 09:14 AM by Nung.)
(08-30-2010 10:36 PM)groovegoon Wrote:  Had it not been for N.P., I'd still be of the opinion that Scoth (Johnny Walker Red Label...my father preference) was for those who loved the taste of cardboard. Since discovering The Macallan !2 in 2003, I have since come to admire a few more...but always come back to my Macallan. Here are a couple of recent discoveries and come close to reminding me of The Macallan:

The Glenmorangie Lasanta - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7067.aspx

The Balvenie - http://www.thebalvenie.com/en/ourRange_c...nature.php

These are some of my most recent favs!

Enjoy!

Great suggestions...thanks...and just this morning NPR had a report on about how well the distilleries are doing despite the world recession. Many of us just cannot cut back on THAT level, eh? I must say, it has been quite a few weeks since I have luxuriated in the glow of that lovely aroma...I hope to head out camping soon and relax with a wee dram!
See you in the mountains!

07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
(04-30-2010 02:01 PM)Nung Wrote:  Great thoughts so far! Thank you! I agree that the strong elements of scotch could overwhelm certain foods. Has anyone matched scotch with desserts?

K...I know I'm dredging up an old thread, and I prefer my uisge prior to or after my meals but....Laga 16 and chocolate mousse.

Ohhhhhh baby.....

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes, chocolate seems to be the classic pairing with Scotch.

I see alot of recipes (especially for BBQ sauce) that involve Bourbon. I would imagine many of those could be adapted to use Scotch if one took the time to find the right Scotch.

07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
While I avoid mixing higher-end single-malts with food, regular Glenlivet with Dunlop (a Scottish cheddar-type cheese) cubes isn't a bad match.

And by far the best use for cheap blended Scotch is to make Athol Brose: my sister-in-law and I made some for Hogmanay, and it was great.

mmmmm Oats and Scotch: not just for breakfast anymore!

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....