Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotch and food pairings?
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
RE: Scotch and food pairings?
BBQ sauce is about the only thing bourbon is good for imo. Oh man, did I just say that out loud? Apologies bourbon lovers, I need to get a handle on that whole inner monologue thing.Blush

I've tried really hard to appreciate bourbon...Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden, etc., but it's just sooooo one dimensional compared to single malt scotch uisge.

I might be tempted to add a little Aberlour A'bunadh to a bbq mopping sauce...but it just seems wasteful.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
(07-18-2012 02:32 PM)Sunset Wrote:  BBQ sauce is about the only thing bourbon is good for imo. Oh man, did I just say that out loud? Apologies bourbon lovers, I need to get a handle on that whole inner monologue thing.Blush

I've tried really hard to appreciate bourbon...Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden, etc., but it's just sooooo one dimensional compared to single malt scotch uisge.

I might be tempted to add a little Aberlour A'bunadh to a bbq mopping sauce...but it just seems wasteful.

I understand! That was me about 2 months ago. Bourbon seemed so simplistic. But after much tasting my tastes evolved. There are some great Bourbons and whiskeys out there. (Blanton's seemed to be my favorite so far...much more complex than most.) Don't get me wrong, Scotch will always be my number one category....

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
03-29-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2014 06:50 PM by Badwater.)
(07-18-2012 02:32 PM)Sunset Wrote:  BBQ sauce is about the only thing bourbon is good for imo. Oh man, did I just say that out loud? Apologies bourbon lovers, I need to get a handle on that whole inner monologue thing.Blush

Oh man, Aberlour A'bunadh is amazing! I purchased a bottle the day after Christmas and finished it off two weeks ago. Have you tried the 10 year old? It is about $30 less than the A'bunadh here in Oklahoma and is another fine single malt.
03-31-2014, 09:26 AM
I have had the 12 but i don't think the 10.

04-01-2014, 01:57 PM
(03-29-2014 06:49 PM)Badwater Wrote:  

Oh man, Aberlour A'bunadh is amazing! I purchased a bottle the day after Christmas and finished it off two weeks ago. Have you tried the 10 year old? It is about $30 less than the A'bunadh here in Oklahoma and is another fine single malt.

The A'bunadh(pronounced aBOONer according to some old crusty Scot I once met) is one of my top 3 favs, and a collection mainstay in the Sunset household...I always have at least one bottle on hand. Always...
Heard a nasty rumor it will soon be discontinued, but I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of this statement.

The Ab 10 is, for some reason, impossible to source in my area...strictly unobtainium status at the retail level. However, one of the finest dining establishments in the Central Valley(20min from my doorstep) does in fact offer it. So I always enjoy a wee dram prior to my meal there. It has a bit more bite than the other Ab offerings...which is one reason I like it so much.

Naming a fav uisge is like naming a fav song or piece...an exercise in futility imo. But I must say, I've never met an Aberlour I didn't like quite a lot.

04-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Eek!
I better stock up!

04-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Again, I can't confirm or deny. But the info came from BevMo, so I'm keeping an unopened bottle hanging around just in case...

04-01-2014, 07:59 PM
I must find this wonderful elixir!!!!

Pfffft - In IOWA? Yeah right.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2014, 09:12 AM
When I snagged a bottle last night at Total Wine they said they had not heard of any rumors of it being phased out.

04-02-2014, 06:29 PM
A'bunadh is probably showing out of stock because of the different batches they produce!

The bottle I got around Christmas had already been discontinued when I purchased the last one from the shelf. I noticed the other day that a new batch has already taken its place. I had batch 46 last, they are already up to 47.

No cause for alarm!