Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotch and food pairings?
05-05-2014, 09:10 AM
RE: Scotch and food pairings?
Yes, Badwater, the Nadurra is GOOD water of life.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Paired not with food but with the environment:

Last Saturday I was camping in the mountains and while I had a nice fire from 5:30 to midnight, I sipped on some excellent Highland Park 18 (a sample bottle i got with their 12) and then some Aberlour A’Bundah. The Aberlour was perfect for the cold weather, the wood smoke, the hooting owls, and the perfectly-chosen music.

12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Ok Nung - Is there ANY Aberlour A'bundah left?

Sometimes just sipping and enjoying the land and the evening with a drink and some friends is all it takes.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2014, 09:54 AM
On the store shelf or in my larder?

There is plenty in both places! ha ha...
I am such an easy date; I just sip the stuff or I get loopy!

But seriously, as far as availability, these are interesting times, in some cities, there are inevitably many whiskies and Scotches that are near-impossible to find due to high demand (both in that city and in the entire world...China is drawing away lots of top shelf alcohol). Yet because of the increased production and profit potential, there is also lots of some brands available. So it is weird sometimes...I cannot find certain products at all out here but some cities are drowning in the stuff.

Because of this, many more people are setting aside bottles as a hedge against high price or availability issues. Of course, the more commonly used word instead of the phrase "setting aside" is "bunkering." Mostly, it is a fancy word for hoarding! I try for a balanced approach but i do snap up my favs when i can.

12-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately I live in one of those places where many whiskies just arent around so you have to go trolling the internet or go some place out of state. When I discovered Macallan was discontinuing its Cask Strength I could only weep as the only bottles to be had were out of state and already sold. Enter Aberlour but even the A'bunadh can opnly be found in Minnesota right now.

For now - I troll.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-08-2014, 11:06 AM
I feel for you, Boomer.
I was very disappointed to see The Macallan CS go away but I do feel the A'bunadh is better.

12-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Oh, I do have a new, weird pairing for you.

Here in Tucson, there is a start-up boutique distiller that makes whiskey. He is a Scotch fan and always wondered about other options for imparting flavor to the final result by "smoking" the barley with different substances besides the usual peat (used in Scotland). The most popular version he makes has (local) barley that is smoked over mesquite wood. (He is a furniture maker that primarily uses mesquite wood.) It garnered all sorts of attention here but due to the small amounts available, is mostly available only in bars and restaurants here. BUT, I did stumble upon some for sale at my local Whole Foods so i snagged it (it quickly sold out of course).

WOW! It is over-the-top in its smokiness! And is soooo mesquite-y! One has no trouble identifying it. I have only sipped it so far but I would think it would pair up well with a BBQ meal (mesquite wood of course!). Or perhaps if it was used in a BBQ sauce??

So if anyone is travelling through my neck of the woods, stop by for a taste!