Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oshogatsu お正月
11-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Oshogatsu お正月
The most important part season of the Japanese culture is New Years. When I go home to my parent's place for New Years, I Get ready for a treat. To define ohsogatsu, it's when the women go nuts in the kitchen and the men keep out or get their heads chopped off by their wife...I know this, I was an eight-year-old trying to help my mother and aunts.

The men heard what happened and chuckled as the women yelled at me, telling me in Japanese to go to the living room and watch T.V. with the men. Sexist? No. It's their role they chose and accept. So what do they cook? this and when they do cook, imagine 10 women cooking all at once, on 4 stove tops, and an oven. All synchronized perfectly so no one would drop one grain of rice.

Oshogatsu is an important season in my culture but since all the elder women are gone, except for my mom and her sister, the madness still continues as my sister and sister in laws and their sister in laws continue the tradition.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2013, 07:31 PM
RE: Oshogatsu お正月
Asian, what are the family dishes that are served? What are your favorites? Also would you be willing to share with us here in the Grill?

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-27-2013, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2013 08:42 PM by Asian Rush Fan.)
RE: Oshogatsu お正月
(11-27-2013 07:31 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Asian, what are the family dishes that are served? What are your favorites? Also would you be willing to share with us here in the Grill?

I like komochi (pounded sweet rice) with kinako or natto.
Teriyaki saba
Teriyaki chicken
Lobster
Edamame
Kuromame
Shrimp tempura
Kakiage (http://abt.cm/bhaEP1)

I'm not into gobo (http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-gobo-roo...slideshow) but we do eat well and so do I Smile Oh and we drink sake too (Pron: Saw-Keh) not Saw Key. I wonder if Bubba would like this too?