Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CHRISTMAS DINNER!!! What are you making?
12-27-2013, 08:44 PM
RE: CHRISTMAS DINNER!!! What are you making?
LTC , with the moose sausages are they a drier cares texture or more oily/moist type?

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2013, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 11:07 PM by LiveToCook.)
2Beers, this was a moist, spicy, semi-dried (in a curing chamber), not oily. This was done different for me with moose. I did have on numerous occasions the dryer type because of the ''non-fat'' type moose meat and these were not cured or dried nor smoked. I am trying to get the recipe for these as they were ''top notch'' and will post if you want this.
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM
I'd be interested, moose meat isn't quite available here as venison so I'd sub that for the moose.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-29-2013, 05:47 PM
(12-25-2013 09:31 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Hope that everybody had a great Christmas Eve and Day.

Phillip, The ribs were fantastic and all was looking for more. As for the foie gras, no problems, it has been sent, the moose sausages, this was in very limited quantity, Sad some went into the stuffing and the rest... the cook chomped them down with a good glass of Amarone and that was a treat. Just wishing that I had more of this sausage... to share with all! I guess that I will need to be very nice with my friend that spoiled me by supplying this. And the guy that did these sausages, wow!!! Now more lamb ribs have been ordered today, they are small, but what a treat as an appetizer and it is a product to be discovered.

I have found a butcher that can get me some lamb ribs. What kind of suace did you use? Also did you apply any rub to the ribs? And finally how long did you cook, smoke or grill the ribs? Thanks
01-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Hiya folks! Hope all is well with you and yorn in this delightful New Year!Big Grin

After last year's complicated, multi-meal undertaking I decided to keep things real and old-school this year. Roast beast(NZ leg-o-lamb in this instance), with brussels & pilaf.

4.5lb deboned lambie
garlic
cracked pepper
rosemary
soy sauce
raspberry vinegar
red wine
marinate 8hrs flipping once
[Image: food155_zps8da4bece.jpg]

Wrap that rascal tight, place in snug pyrex, and pour marinade in.
[Image: food156_zps5ffb2a6d.jpg]

Coat with 1Tbs dijon and sprinkle generously with fresh cracked medley peppercorn, cracked coriander seed, and red pepper flake for that lovely piquant crust.
[Image: food157_zps9b2b1e35.jpg]

Plop in 400deg overn for 10min, then reduce to 325deg for an additional 71min. Would have loved to take a pic of how perfectly med. rare this puppy turned out, but sometimes taking the time for a pic just isn't appropriate ya know?

[Image: food158_zps49f4eae9.jpg]

Finished with Mrs Sunsets incredible cappucino/chocolate cheesecake and a Quady's...righteous combo indeed!
[Image: food159_zps16bb500f.jpg]

GLORIOUS!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Again.......oooooh YUM!

01-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Sunset, if I ever make it back to NorCal to visit my sister, I'm looking you up! You are hereby forewarned! Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-07-2014, 10:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014 11:03 PM by LiveToCook.)
Phillip, Sorry about the delay in posting a readable answer for you, had some sort of computer bug. Now about the lamb ribs... If you can get these from your butcher with a strip of meat on the outside, it would be better as there is not very much meat on these. For appetizers, they are great. Otherwise for a main course, I would say that you need 2 racks per person. A good appetite might even go to 3-4. In preparation of ribs, I always take the large majority of the outside fat off. The way the Christmas ribs were done is quite simple. They went into the pressure cooker (Presto) for a 15 minute boil. NOTE: A pressure cooker is very safe .... What I had done is give them a rub with a mixture called Portuguese. You could use in place any rub style like Cajun, Tex-Mex, Curry type powder mix (Masala). Then I put them in the Presto laying up(bones up on the vertical). Reason for this is for a good circulation to take place. So do not pile them or stack them in tight. I then pour some lemon juice onto them. The juice of 1-2 lemon(s). Pour 1 bottle of "good" beer in... I used a brown type. Bring to a boil and then go 15 minutes. After the 15, shut the unit down and cool down into a bath of cold water without opening. Then open and remove the ribs when luke warm, put into a tray. If you try to pull the ribs out, when still hot, the bones will fall off. Once cooled lightly, pull them out, sauce them lightly with a brush, and let them rest. For the sauce here, I used half a cup of maple syrup, a quarter cup of melted butter, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, a pinch each of cinnamon and salt and about a half teaspoon of some sichuan red pepper ground coarsely. You could use black pepper to taste. Mix all together. Use about half for the initial brushing. For finishing in this case here, I pan fried(stove top) them lightly just to re-heat adding the rest of the sauce and serve when warmed through.

For the Presto part of tenderizing, this technique also de-fats and I do this for pork and beef ribs. The pork for 30 minutes and beef for 40.
I use 2 bottles of beer for the longer times. This part can be done the day before or in the morning. As the meat is cooked... you can re-heat on the Bar-B, the smoker, stove top or in the oven finishing on broil. Sauces are up to you, whatever you enjoy, from your favorite home made to a good commercially available type. Any other questions feel free, drop me a line... Enjoy!!!
2 Beers, still working on the sausage recipe.... I will be seeing this guy on the weekend. I might have to go to charm school in between.
01-12-2014, 06:56 PM
LTC - Since I don't have a pressure cooker. Could I use the same spices to brine them? And for how long? For the beer I always use Guinness. I was going to put them on the grill. Should I grill them low and slow or over direct heat? Thanks
01-12-2014, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:54 PM by LiveToCook.)
(01-12-2014 06:56 PM)Phillip Wrote:  LTC - Since I don't have a pressure cooker. Could I use the same spices to brine them? And for how long? For the beer I always use Guinness. I was going to put them on the grill. Should I grill them low and slow or over direct heat? Thanks
Phillip, Of course being an avid user of the ol' Presto, I have not experienced the on the grill directly without steaming, boiling or any other technic... I would recommend to you using your own proven method that you might use for pork ribs. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is the typical size of the lamb ribs vs. pork. My son uses the frying pan method wear he sizzles them with whatever favorite spices, dry or wet. Add some beer, then into the oven at 300 deg F covered until tender and then finish on the BarB. As mentioned, if you have a cooking style that works for you, all the best. And for Guinness, hey... Great choice!!! Let me know what you do and if you can find a decently big Presto, the ones I use are 9 1/2" in diameter, it stands 6" high without the lid. If you buy one at a second hand store or whatever spot, make sure you have the detachable weight that goes on top. Make some research on them via the net, Presto is an American company makes good u... They are decently cheap and it is a phenomenal tool. The speed that you can do things is incredible. They are used all over the world and this is one thing that I have inherited from my mother's cooking technics. Again they are extremely safe unless you overload it and block the ports.